Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:58 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

This is the official thread for Sony's first full-frame mirrorless cameras, the Alpha A7 and A7r.

Please see my Sony Alpha A7 preview and Sony Alpha A7r review for more details. I've now completed my A7r review and I'm adapting it for my A7 review as they're both very similar cameras.

Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:33 am 

Wow!

My first reaction was that if this camera had been available when I was downsizing and selling my Canon 5D MkII and an assortment of 'L' lenses the A7r is the camera I would have bought especially as there is an option, I believe, to use Canon glass without loss of functionality via a Metabones adaptor. But on reflection that would have defeated the object of the exercise I was engaged in as body size is only one half of the total size and weight equation, the other of course being lenses.

Sony deserves to do really well with the A7/A7r cameras. It'll take a while for the native FE lens ecosystem to fill out but with Canon and Nikon having nothing even remotely comparable with a full-frame sensor they have some time. And if there's a need for brighter glass than Sony/Zeiss will be initially offering and manual focus is acceptable then there is an extraordinary full-frame lens system already available. But will Leica owners find enough of merit in the A7 or A7r to tempt them away from their M bodies?

Possibly not, but for Canon/Nikon owners compatibility, via a suitably intelligent lens adaptor, with their existing full-frame lens collection may work in Sony's favour. Are you tempted?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:50 pm 

This is indeed a very interesting release from Sony. Not that it would make me give up my Leica, but I can imagine many people will be interested in getting one of these. And I can imagine that people who are interested in buying a Leica may now get this instead.

Looking forward to your full review Gordon, it will be interesting to see how these cameras perform!

- Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:35 pm 

Bob Andersson wrote:
But will Leica owners find enough of merit in the A7 or A7r to tempt them away from their M bodies?

Possibly not, but for Canon/Nikon owners compatibility, via a suitably intelligent lens adaptor, with their existing full-frame lens collection may work in Sony's favour. Are you tempted?

Bob.

Roger at lens rentals had a blog post about the issue lens adapters not being entirely square with the lens mount. I'd imagine the hi-res A7r will show poorly mounted third party lenses. One other thing is that corner cast issue of the NEX7 may have spilled over into this for third party lenses.

These new A-series Sony's will be most size competitive against larger full frame cameras when paired with a small prime lens, or in crop mode with an APC sized lens. I know there was a lot on the web before their release that "we need full frame NEX" but the overall system will grow in size as a result. But speaking of system there is very little to choose from in the native FE-mount Sony stable at present, so the temptation to jump manufacturer's ship is tempered with the reality of less native selection.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:05 pm 

Hi capital,

An interesting blog. I certainly think there's an argument that you get what you pay for that would apply equally to lens mount adaptors. I've had no complaints with the Fotodiox adaptors I've used but I certainly haven't done any testing on them. The adaptors I was thinking of for the A7/A7r were from Metabones, referred to in this video preview.

The corner cast was a major issue for me when I considered buying the NEX-7. Gordon, in his own video preview, mentions that the A7/A7r sensor micro-lenses have been tuned near the corners and that gives me hope that, despite the short registration distance, the corner cast issue is buried, not only for the Sony/Zeiss lenses, but also for most third party lenses. That hope is strengthened by the opinion here over at The Luminous Landscape that "I think it fair to say that most retrofocus design Leica M lenses will work on the A7R".

But I'm getting ahead of myself and we'll have to wait for the tests to come in. In any event I'm sticking to m4/3rds for the foreseeable future and I'm eagerly waiting for my Olympus E-M1 + 12-40mm f/2.8, currently on pre-order. :)

Bob.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:48 pm 

Bob,

It may be a little off the topic, but what made you upgrade your E-M5?

For me, also I'm sticking with m4/3 for everyday camera system now. But I may consider Sony over either 6D or D600 as my special occasion FF camera in the future. However, 55mm1.8 for $1000??? (even if it has Z in its name!)

Panasonic Pancake 14mm f2.5, Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4, Olympus Zuiko 75mm f1.8
Panasonic 14-42mm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:29 pm 

Bob Andersson wrote:
there is an option, I believe, to use Canon glass without loss of functionality via a Metabones adaptor.

That seems like a bit of an overstatement to me. First, it's only new-ish (post 2006) EF lenses, not all lenses. Second, AF is rather slow.

(I'd also note that a Smart Adapter adds $400 to the total cost of the package/system.)

Quote:
Possibly not, but for Canon/Nikon owners compatibility, via a suitably intelligent lens adaptor, with their existing full-frame lens collection may work in Sony's favour.

There's a Nikon Smart Adapter (that enables AF)?

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:59 am 

@ thomastaesu,

As you say, that's a topic for another thread and in the Olympus section. I'll share once I have the EM-1 in my hands. :)

@ Mark,

Fair points all. Such adaptors would probably only be of value as a transitional measure.

Bob.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:40 am 

I watched Gordon's preview of these cameras and then came across the same video at http://www.youtube.com/user/kathleenadams4705/videos. It seems that "person" rips off a lot of other people. Is this all about getting more clicks? Anyway, maybe Gordon can do something about his video being stolen and used in such a way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the tip Romendo, I had a look and they only get about 30 views per video. The video of course also has me talking about cameralabs. so I don't mind where it's shown. Obviously they could be getting ad revenue from it, but from Youtube it really is peanuts. I'll get in touch with YT though, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:55 am 

Had a chance to play with the new A7r and 35mm f/2.8 Zeiss lens yesterday (I also used it briefly with a Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 for the DSLR mount). It is certainly an amazing package: even more compact than my Leica (although the differences are small, and the Sony lenses are still significantly bigger) and very responsive. I was literally blown away by the number of features on this thing. Having used Leica exclusively for almost two years, it feels odd having dozens on indicators on your LCD-screen, as well as over 20 menu pages. In that respect, it certainly isn't a camera for me. Too many bells and whistles, too many distractions.

It is quite easy to use however, once you get the hang of it. Different dials for shutter speed, aperture, ISO, all on a compact body. Didn't get a chance to look at high ISO results, but I'm sure Gordon will.

The image quality this camera is capable of producing is very impressive though. My friend Gustav, who has the camera on loan from Sony for a couple of days to test it out, had a photo shoot with a model (even though he's known for his wildlife photography). At 100%, it seems like you're looking at the model through a microscope. Wrinkles, facial hair, it's all there. Not sure the model is going to be happy with cameras like this, and it certainly is more sharpness than I need myself, but it is impressive.
You can see some of Gustav's results here: http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/my-first-re ... page1.html

One last thing: the shutter is indeed very loud. If you need a discrete camera like I do, this might not be the best option.

Here's the A7r next to my Leica.

- Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:50 pm 

There's a cautionary blog by Ron Scheffler on the merits or otherwise of using M-mount lenses on the A7 which you can read here. It includes links to a shed-load of test images, all from pre-production hardware.

Bob.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:00 am 

Compare 55mm f1.8 vs A-Mount 50mm f1.4 ZA SSM on A7r pls?

I am really curious how these two lens will perform on the A7r.

Res and CA

HG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:28 am 

Hi folks,

I've admired Frank Doorhof's work for some years so it's nice to be able to share his reviews of the A7r. Part 1 is here and part 2 is here.

To whet your appetite:

Here Frank Doorhof wrote:
Now before we go any further I have to make something 100% crystal clear. I’m NOT paid by Sony, I’m NO Sony fanboy. However over the last year I’ve sold my Canon 5DMKIII for the Sony A99 and I recently switched away from my MacBook Pro to a Sony DUO 13, which I paid 100% out of my own pocket by the way. Sony did lend me a camera for this review and 2 lenses, but the review you will read today (and the coming days) are 100% my honest opinion.

Now why this disclaimer……
Well very simple because this camera is awesome and I wanted to make sure that you don’t think it’s an advertorial for Sony.

Bob.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, just a quick update to let you know I now have sample images galleries for both the Sony A7 and A7r, along with a full set of noise results (currently on the A7r pages, but soon to be migrated to the A7 as well!). I'll also be adding some sample videos soon, so keep an eye open!