Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:39 am 

Hello-

I am searching for a new camera and have set out a somewhat detailed set of requirements. For some background I shoot almost every picture I take outside probably 80%-20% in that regard, I shoot mostly landscapes. I currently own a Nikon D40 with a few lenses but am in no way tied to that system, in fact I would like to go mirrorless. Although I have a D40 now it is still a bit big to take everywhere so I would like the new camera to be smaller. I am looking for:
- Quality lenses to choose from
- Durable camera (weatherproofing is a plus but not required)
- Decent video (I shoot more stills than video, but video is still something I'd like to have)
- A tilt screen (though not mandatory is something I would like to have)
- An EVF, optional or built in
- Of course good image quality
- Decent low light images and auto focus
- Decent Auto focus
- Focus peaking would be nice but again is not a must have
- I noticed the LUMIX G6 GX7 etc. (except the GH3) limit bulb time to 2 minutes, this is ok most of the time but I was wondering if Sony does the same? I could not find their specs, I did notice FUJI and Olympus limit bulb time, but it is more like 30 or 60 minutes.

I am not looking for someone to make a choice for me simply for some guidance as the world of photography seems full of great cameras.

Thanks for any assistance.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:59 am 

First off, bulb exposures on Sony NEX cameras are limited only by available battery charge. (You can Google for the pdf manual for the specific model you're interested in to confirm.)

Second, you've probably already considered this since you mentioned Olympus, but it seems to me that an E-M5 fits your criteria rather well.

HTH - Mark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:19 pm 

Sounds like the aforementioned E-M5 is worth a look, as is the NEX6. Both would seem to meet on pretty much all needs. Sony NEX peaking is probably about the best out there, with adjustable strength and color to suit needs.

And just to confirm, there's no limit on Bulb mode on Sony NEX or Alpha cameras.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg