Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:01 pm 

My 7D died a couple of weeks ago. I had then not used it for 3-4 weeks and when I turned it on it flashed battery dead even though the battery showed up as 3/4 full when I put it in the 5D3. After screwing around with different batteries and changing the clock battery I eventually got an Err 40, which I've found to be some kind of electrical error. I'm guessing it's water damage as it was raining pretty heavily last time I used it - and I probably abused it a little as well.
I'm not going to send it in for repair. Firstly it's grey market, secondly it'll probably cost a disproportionate amount to fix it and thirdly I've found out I'm not going to miss it when I have the 5D3. So I've decided I'll try to sell it as faulty/for parts. I responded to a guy who had an ad saying he's interested in any faulty camera. He's offered me NOK 600 for the 7D for parts, which is about 1/10 of what the camera sells for second hand.

My question to you is: what do you guys think? Is it reasonable?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:39 pm 

Don't know about Canon sites around the world, but I only had dealing with Canon UK once when my 7D just stopped working. No power. Nothing. Procedure was you sent it in and they then give a price for the fix. You'll have to look up locally if they charge for just looking. In my case they changed one internal board and it was working again for about the same cost as a 50mm f/1.8.

I don't think it being grey market would affect this, since that is more warranty.

If you suspect rain, then maybe just leave it alone for a while longer.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:33 am 

Thanks, popo
Yeah, I think I'm going to wait a while and check with Canon to see if/what they charge for a diagnose. I'll pass on the offer from that guy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:10 pm 

The 7D sells for about 700 EUR here, used, and Im sure a dead (or ┬┤dead┬┤) 7D will cost 200 still. Might you want to sell it, you should ask a bit more than 1/10th of the asking price of a good one.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:58 pm 

Yes, I agree entirely. Even though the guy now has replied saying he's willing to pay me "considerably more", I'll pass. I'll give it some more time and then send it to Canon to get a diagnose

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:28 am 

$600USD hmmm, if some one is willing to pay yu aht for your faulty camera take it, just make sure you get the money before you give the person your camera.

Try selling on www.ebay.com if that sale dont work out, ebay is secure once all the transactions are done through ebay.

Just read and find out all you need to know about buying and selling on ebay, as customer support for help if you need it!

I just bought my first DSLR on ebay, a refurbished Canon 7D from a top rate plus seller on that site!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:12 pm 

Well, I sent my 7D for in for diagnosis and possible repair this week. It turned out it was not water damaged at all. A loose screw had short-circuited some circuit board in the bottom of the camera. They exchanged the board and fixed the camera up for 2400 NOK. I'm very happy :D

I'm glad I didn't sell it for 600 NOK to that guy. Not that I think I would've done it anyway. He didn't really seem like a very trustworthy guy