Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 70D vs G6
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:21 am 

Hello guys. I'm new to this forum and would love to hear your views on my current dilemma.

I've always felt that a compact size is important to me especially on overseas travel, walking on foot in cities taking street photos. I take equal amount of video and stills on any trip. For this reason I bought a Nex 5 some time ago, although the e-mount lens is not really that compact cf the body. I also have a Nex VG10 which I mainly use for video projects and not for vacations. Recently, I've discovered that a fully articulated touch screen would be a real boon in terms of angles and focus. After reading all the reviews, I decided on the Lumix G6 as it seems to fit all my requirements. But I'm still waiting for the new 14-145 f3.5 lens to arrive in my part of the world, before purchasing the whole kit. I don't know why, but the wait seems to take forever.

Now having read the recent reviews on the 70D, the AF in movie mode really intrigues me. But the size of the body and 18-135 lens does not. So I'm wondering if there is much more that the 70D would have to offer cf the G6 (image quality and performance for stills and video) that would more that justify the additional size and weight? I don't own any canon or panasonic lenses, so that's not an issue - but it seems that the canon system with the whole variety of 3rd party lenses have much more variety at a cheaper price point cf panasonic m3 lens system.

I'm making a family trip to NZ at the end of the year, so I'm just wondering which to get. At the end of the day, I do realize its down to personal choices, but I would appreciate the community's views. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: 70D vs G6
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:47 am 

Quote:
So I'm wondering if there is much more that the 70D would have to offer cf the G6 (image quality and performance for stills and video) that would more that justify the additional size and weight?

I shoot video (and stills) on a Canon T4i/650D (and sometimes use the 18-135mm STM lens you mentioned) and a Panasonic GH2 (which has the same sensor as the G6, except that the G6's firmware doesn't support multi-aspect modes). I'm planning to upgrade to the Canon 70D for video, but when I shoot video, it usually involves a tripod/monopod/glidecam, dual system audio, lights, etc. so camera/lens size is not a concern. When camera/lens size is a concern, I will usually use my Olympus E-PL5. So for me, I would say, no, the 70D does not offer enough of an advantage in image quality to offset the additional size and weight.

Quote:
the canon system with the whole variety of 3rd party lenses have much more variety at a cheaper price point cf panasonic m3 lens system.

True. But remember that Canon EF lenses are designed to cover a full frame sensor, so they tend to be much larger than equivalent m4/3 lenses. (Also true of EF-S/APS-C lenses (like your current e-mount lenses), just not to the same extent.) And since small size is a concern of yours... (Also, for video, note that Canon doesn't currently have many STM lenses.)

On the other hand, since the vast majority of m4/3 lenses are focus-by-wire, they can't really be used on your VG10, while EF lenses can (although you will not be able to adjust aperture, only focus) with an adapter.

So as usual, it seems to me to come down to the lenses. What do you need/want? Does m4/3 have them? Are they within your budget?

Mark

P.S. re: "the new 14-145 f3.5 lens" - if you mean the 14-45mm lens, I'd note that it's f3.5-5.6, not a constant f3.5

Post subject: 70D vs G6
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:07 am 

Thanks for your comments, Mark. My own thoughts are trending in the same direction.

But Gordan's test on both cams in the cafe with the jar of sugar cubes shows the strength of the 70D in really smooth AF especially in the pull focus test using the touch screen, whilst the G6 is good but still not as smooth with some hunting around. That got me excited about the 70D since i do a fair bit of videos. I wonder if anyone else here has tried out that aspect of 70D and seen a significant difference? Other than that, all the reviews don't seem to suggest that there is an appreciable real world advantage in still or video quality that the 70D has over the G6 (except maybe in low light?)....pity. Is there anything in the 70D that would trump over the G6's portability and couple of other features eg panorama, stop action scene etc.

As for lenses, I probably only need a zoom 14-140mm (my typo error there, Mark), a fast lens with f1.4 and a wide angle in terms of the m3 system. Any suggestions on the last 2?

Appreciate your advice. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:23 am 

Quote:
But Gordan's test on both cams in the cafe with the jar of sugar cubes shows the strength of the 70D in really smooth AF especially in the pull focus test using the touch screen, whilst the G6 is good but still not as smooth with some hunting around.

This is true of any Phase Detection system vs a Contrast Detection system. But do note that Gordon shot that test with the 18-135mm STM lens which a) you previously mentioned was on the large side for you, and b) is one of only a handful of STM lenses. And note that focus with a USM lens will not be as smooth or as quiet. To be fair, if you use an external mic, as opposed to the built-in one, USM AF noise isn't much of an issue.

As for your m4/3 lens question, it would probably be more appropriate in another (non-Canon) subforum, and since I see you've posted in the Panasonic G6 thread, I'll continue this there.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:04 am 

Appreciate your helpful comments, Mark, here and on the Panasonic thread.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to check out the 70D and 6G at the store. The former felt like it was at least twice the weight and size of the latter with their respective kit zoom lens. But the AF on the 70D was really quick and spot on. Using objects near and far, I tested the AF and pull focus on both cams and the G6 was noticeably slower, hunting around for about 1 sec whereas the 70D nailed it confidently each time . This was under bright fluorescent lights in the departmental store. I can see this is a fair bit of compromise I have to live with especially for videos. Image quality seems to be slightly better on the 70D as well. But the shear heft on the Canon makes me think of it (more than twice) as a travel camera. Such compromises in life....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:47 am 

You're quite welcome. Since I value Gordon's reviews, I'm just trying to pay a little of that back. To wit, a few things that may factor into your decision:

There are no STM lenses with an aperture of f1.4 and the widest STM lens is a not-particularly-wide 22mm (f2.0). Yes, you can also use USM lenses, but as previously noted, the AF while shooting video won't be as smooth or quiet.

That said, Canon has a well-regarded 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 wide angle zoom. Or, if you can live with 1mm less wide in exchange for a faster constant aperture, Tokina has an 11-16mm f2.8 (Full disclosure: I own one).

Canon also has several primes with an f1.4 aperture: 24mm, 35mm and 50mm. But note that, a) these are all EF lenses (designed to cover a full frame sensor), so they're on the larger side, and b) the 24mm and 35mm cost well over $1,000 each. (The 50mm is a more affordable $400. Full disclosure again: I own one.)

Mark