Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Please help me choose.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:04 pm 

I have read all the reviews but still so undecided.
I need a compact camera for travelling overseas but want really good quality photos in all light conditions.
I am working my way down from a dslr and currently use a superzoom but it's still too big.
I don't need raw, more like quick point and shoot with a good range of scene modes.
So these are the functions I would really like to have.
Enough megapixels that if I get a great shot I could print onto a canvas.
The longest zoom I can get but at least 20x
Gps
Wifi if possible but not necessary.
I would prefer a electronic viewfinder as my closeup eyesight is going & I don't want to need to put on my glasses everytime I take a photo but not an absolute necessity.
The most important thing to me is fabulous photo quality.
I am currently looking at Sony HX 50V or Panasonic TZ40 but I'm open to suggestions or opinions on anything else.
Please help.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:56 am 

As I've said before, physics dictates that you cannot have good performance in low-light ("good quality photos in all light conditions") and ("20X") zoom and "a compact camera". You will have to prioritize two of those and compromise the third.

That said, if forced to choose between the two cameras you listed, I'd go with the TZ40 because it has better high ISO performance than the HX50V. Not anywhere near what I'd consider "good quality" (i.e. in this case, you will be prioritizing zoom and compactness, while compromising low-light performance), but better than the alternative.

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:51 am 

Thanks Mark for answering. Maybe I should have said BEST POSSIBLE quality photos in all light conditions.I am now undecided about the compact camera idea. My big problem is needing the EVF to take photos without needing my glasses to see the screen. Neither of these cameras have one. The camera I am replacing is a Panasonic FZ35. I get allright photos out of it but nothing great. I suppose lugging a superzoom around is not too difficult compared to a DSLR. If I was going down the superzoom route what would you or anybody else suggest. I am definately no pro. I just want a good quality photo with the least amount of effort on my part getting it, but we do travel quite a bit so I do like to print biggish photos if I get a good shot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:07 am 

Quote:
If I was going down the superzoom route what would you or anybody else suggest.

Have you read Gordon's review of the Panasonic FZ200? When zoomed all the way in (24X), the FZ200's lens is more than two stops faster than the lens on the TZ40. That should help quite a bit in low light. And the FZ200 has a viewfinder.

To be fair, if most of your pics are taken outdoors in broad daylight, the TZ40 should do fine - Mark