Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:38 pm 

Hello Guys new to the forum and after some advice.

After a heavy fall in Thailand with my Camera (5d Mk2) i have completely wrecked the plastic display covering the LCD and very lightly damaged the LCD itself. This is barely visible and not a concern to me.

My question is this, if i send the Camera back to Canon would anyone have a rough idea for costings of replacing just the plastic and the plastic and LCD? Would indeed Canon just replace the Plastic if they deem the LCD 'Damaged?'

Would i be better off just replacing the Plastic through a third party rather than paying the absurd rates i have a suspicion Canon will want to charge me? The rest of the camera seems to be in perfect working order to me and have used countless times since.

Looking forward to making contact with some fellow photographers, particularly any based around the Auckland New Zealand area.

Regards

Chris :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:49 pm 

As long as you are not replacing the LCD screen, a reliable third party should be able to do that job.
In fact, I would be tempted to try it myself based upon this lensrentals.com article.

If you want the safest course of action, that would be Canon.

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II
Canon 430EX II
Opteka 13mm, 21mm, and 31mm extension tubes
Vivitar 50mm f/1.8 for OM System

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:34 am 

you probably aware of your own ability to repair, rather than saying you can definitely repair with that guide.
Isn't the worse job in the world, and you can even get the parts and the equipment off ebay and other places. But more than likely will get some sort of dust or lint in or under the screen, and whether you can live with it, or a constant annoyance.

So this will probably help you decide which way you go with the repair, if its done yourself or by a professional.

Mate of mine mentioned couple of repair sites like YouCamFix or CamRepairShop

Might give a local shop a go first and go from there.