Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:28 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 107  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:58 pm 

I also haven't contributed much of late :oops: for a variety of reasons, mainly lack of time to use my gear. Although I do promise to make a bit more effort. :wink:
I think when a forum quietens off for whatever reason, it somehow lessens others enthusiasm (snowball effect?)

I don't use any of the social networking sites at all. I just use Flickr to store & for the ability to link to pics for posting.

Camera Labs, as the first informative & helpful site I found when starting with digital, is my `home page`, so I do check in every day & TRY to at least read a few posts.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:04 pm 

Ah, Flickr. I had not considered Flickr to be social media, probably because I have never used the social aspect of it. I rarely visit Flicker, and think most of what I have uploaded there are old mobile phone images. If I recall correctly, only one image is publicly viewable. ( I am rexgig0 at Flickr. )

Well, anyway, I am using some leave time, and will not return to work until Monday night, so perhaps I can recover from the chronic fatigue and general "blues," and be somewhat positive and creative. There will be no lengthy road trips, however, as one of our dogs reacted badly to anti-parasitic medication, and requires frequent attention to ensure he stays cool and hydrated.

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:12 pm 

Quote:
I don't use any of the social networking sites at all. I just use Flickr to store & for the ability to link to pics for posting.

Camera Labs, as the first informative & helpful site I found when starting with digital, is my `home page`

I could have wrote that, my circumstance exactly. You know, we have a saying around here "Old Guys Rule"
Also, some time ago, I decided to increase the complexity of my on line passwords. I made them too difficult so, have to change them. Once I strike a balance between form and function, I think I will post more often.

How 2 the signature below?
In your profile signature, click on BBCode ( linked under options ) and read up!

Visit MrCliff on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:50 pm 

RexGig. I tried to find your page on Flickr, but no success. Do they get deleted after being un used for some time?

MrCliff. There certainly seems to be a generational gap, re social media. Glad i'm in the `Old Guys` camp tbh.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:21 am 

oldCarlos, my Flicker account is still there. Please note that the last character of my user name is the numeral zero, not the letter "O."

I must say again, however, the images I have posted to my Flickr account are not remarkable, primarily dating to the time a mobile phone was my best camera! The exception is some quick snapshots of the night sky, taken with a 16mm 2.8D Fisheye on my wife's D7000, which are much more recent, and are spoiled by the too-warm glow cast by a nearly streetlight, plus the usual local noise pollution. Eventually, I will need to post something more interesting!

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:19 am 

I have noticed a pattern in my attitude towards photography and am wondering if you guys have the same experience. Basically I have experienced two phases that are stuck in an endless loop. In the first phase I am super enthusiastic about photography. I want to buy loads and loads of stuff (like lenses, bodies, accessories etc.), I read loads of books and magazines on photography, I watch tutorials and presentations, I check out loads of websites of nature photographers that I like, and I spend a lot of time thinking about being a professional photographer and how awesome that would be. It then often frustrates me that I just don't have a lot of time (if any) to do what I really like doing the most; being out in nature taking pictures.

The second phase is one where I, after being frustrated for a while in phase one, kind of let go of photography. If I can't do it the way that I would like to do it, then I end up doing nothing at all. My gear acquisition syndrome disappears, I stop reading stuff and watching tutorials and presentations, I start focusing on some of my other hobbies a bit more (I play a little bit of guitar and like to play videogames) and my camera and all the other stuff that I have end up in the closet without me ever taking it out.

Both phases can take a couple of months, sometimes even six months. And at some point in phase two I get that spark again. Call it inspiration or something, but all of a sudden I really have the urge to go out and take pictures again. And again all too soon I realize I don't have the time to do it as serious as I would like, and I end up getting frustrated all over again before stepping back to phase two.

I have noticed this pattern in more than just photography. This frustration came with my other two hobbies as well. I do not have time to practice a lot on my guitar, which has me stuck on a certain level without me ever growing past it. And when looking at my game collection I am ashamed of how many games I never even played (or unpacked for that matter) and will probably never get the chance to play even though I would love to try them out.

I realize that I am kind of a perfectionist. If I do something I want to do it for 120%. There are no half measures. To illustrate: I have been playing guitar since two years ago, in which time I have acquired four guitars, three amplifiers, two multi-effect pedals, a load of tabs and dvd's on how to play guitar, and I have taken lessons for about a year and practiced a lot in that time (at least: when I could). For someone of my level of playing I have an insane amount of gear and information available.

The difference between my other hobbies and photography is that I have finally really let go of the idea that I MUST do those things for 120%. I still play on my guitars every once in a while, and I play a videogame if I get the chance, but now I don't feel so frustrated for not being able to do those things going all in. You could say that it would be wise to apply this same attitude on photography, but I haven't been able to do that so far.

With a full time job, a wife, a very busy social life and a baby on the way there is just no chance that I will get a lot of time in the nearby or even the far future. So what to do? I have so many ideas I would like to try, so many pictures I would love to make, so many competitions I would love to enter and to be honest; I am never as relaxed as when I am standing behind my camera in the middle of nature with no people around. Just me, my camera and nature.

I am not really looking for advice (though any is welcome of course) but just wanted to let off a bit of steam and get my frustration out of the way. I also wanted to try and start a little bit of a conversation, since the forum is so quiet at the moment. But I am also very much interested in how you guys experience photography, in regards to not always being able to go out and take pictures when you want to.

Looking forward to your replies, if any :).

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtkoopmans/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:55 am 

I feel you pain Mike, and though I no longer swing back and forth between these two states you describe, I do continually experience a lack of time to go out and shoot. My advantage, or perhaps just a difference between you and me, is that I like to take pictures on the street. You can do that basically anytime, anywhere. If I have to run some errands, I can take my camera along and snap some photographs. And I do so with a Leica, either the M9-P or the D-Lux 5, which is small and easy enough to fling over your shoulder. I can imagine that nature photography requires a more dedicated allocation of time and attention, not to mention a larger backpack filled with gear.

Some things I have noticed in my own photography:
- if I force myself to go out and take pictures on a random day, there's a good chance I won't come home with any good pictures (good as in good enough to share online) >> So, don't say to yourself, I have to go out and take some pictures today or else all this gear will gather even more dust, do it when it feels right.

- if I take my camera along on some activity, such as visiting a city or going out to dinner, and I take pictures when it feels right, I get the best results >> Look for a way to complement your interest in photography with another activity. I'm just brainstorming here, but if you like to walk or ride a bicycle with your wife, take your camera along and see if you come across anything interesting along the way.

- the lighter I pack, the more pictures I take >> This might be a tough one for a nature photog like yourself, but give it a go some time. Bring a camera and only one lens, and see what you can do with it. Sure, you may miss some shots, but if you're anything like me, you'll enjoy taking pictures so much more without a bag weighing you down. (summer / non-rainy days are best for this, as you can just leave your bag at home and always have your camera ready to shoot)

- I am a perfectionist in many things, but when photographing, I just try to enjoy myself >> Being a perfectionist used to really be a burden for me in photography. I didn't feel like taking any pictures because I knew they weren't going to be as awesome as they should be. At some point, I set myself a goal to take 1 (just 1) good picture on any day I head out with my camera. If I got more, great, if I got none, well, that can happen. Usually I got one though, and over time the number rose. The point is: don't go out with high expectations, or indeed any expectations. Enjoy the process, and be surprised by the results. Don't review your images while shooting! The first time you're supposed to see a picture is once you get back home to your computer. Again, my Leica helps me with this as it has LCD technology from 2000 or so (it's really low res and small, just the way it should be).

- I no longer form ideas for projects I would like to do >> These can really put pressure on your photography, and again, they set expectations. I used to have ideas for certain pictures or projects I wanted to work on, even wrote them down, and looking at that list now I realize I never did any of them. That's not a bad thing, the enjoyment I got from shooting the way I have over these last two years completely outweighs the potential results of those ideas.

- I take pictures of things that interest me, nothing else >> There's often times when people around me show me amazing wildlife photography, for example, and say "Wouldn't you like to do that Bjorn?". I always tell them no. I like street and documentary style photography, in black and white, ideally in the evening but any part of the day will do. Anything else I'll have other people take pictures of. I have found that this focus helps me 1) take fewer pictures, 2) take better pictures and 3) enjoy the process of taking pictures way more. Extra tip: you have a baby on the way, and any photographer dad (or mum) is going to be taking pictures of their child, so so are you. Try not to get too caught up in that part of photography and don't convince yourself you've found a new use for all your gear. It's clear that you really want to be out in nature taking pictures, and while a baby may keep you and the camera occupied, you should never forget your true calling (OK, that sounds a little too deep, but you get my point I hope).

- Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:14 am 

Mike, I think that is possibly true of us all, to varying degrees.

For me, photography is my only hobby, so don't have the `distraction` of any others, but I still get frustrated that I don't have enough time to get out & shoot.
Nature/wildlife is my main subject too & in an ideal world i'd love to be outdoors most of the time.
Then sometimes when I DO have the time.....the weather doesn't allow! so get doubly frustrated.

I guess if you could be a full time 'tog, you would then have the added pressure of actually making a living/paying bills, deadlines etc which may then not be quite as pleasurable? I don't know.

Possibly, with a young family, you will find yourself taking more time & pictures of the kids, Maybe even get into the `portrait` side of photography.

RE equipment/lens lust, I also go for it full on! :mrgreen: (especially in the beginning) I think it's more of a bloke thing. 8)

Don't forget. He who dies with the most toys.................WINS! :lol: :wink:

Last edited by oldCarlos on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:29 am 

(I was typing while Bjorn was posting. Just 1 finger for me :lol: )

The size of the gear is certainly a factor for me, hence selling my heavier prime & getting the 80-400mm, I HATED changing lenses outdoors so bought another body so I could have more of a `landscape` lens with me too, but I still have the weight to carry around.

When are we gonna get a 12-600mm combo, the size of a matchbox, with excellent resolution? :mrgreen:

Just to add, i'm not really a perfectionist, so don't have that added pressure.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:50 am 

Hi Bjorn!

A lack of time really seems to be the problem for every photographer I know. Life's are just to busy to be out and about shooting when we want to. I can relate to a lot of things you say. For example: "forcing" myself to go out at a specific day really doesn't work. I planned a day of photography a while back with my wife's uncle, and came back with only mediocre pictures. We were out all day, but we just didn't come across anything interesting, and the light and circumstances just weren't that great either. The thing is that at the moments I think it feels right to go out and take pictures (when I ride my bike back from work I often see beautiful light and clouds) then I really don't have a chance to go out and do that. Busy, busy, busy, and even though I do enjoy just watching this incredible and beautiful light, I would love to be able to go out and photograph it.

Your tip of taking the camera with me while doing other activities is a good one. I usually do so when my wife and I go out on our bikes, or when we go take a walk in the nearby parks. It is quite a hassle sometimes though, since my pack weighs a ton and taking pictures with my wife waiting usually makes me feel rushed. She doesn't mind at all, and is very supportive even, but I just don't want to keep her waiting too long, while if I was alone I would have waited for hours. Another thing I have experienced: having my camera around my neck on a bike is just very annoying. I have to be careful not to damage my lens and body, and if a photographic opportunity arises sitting on a bike is just a pain.

Looking at my gear, I could easily go out 95% of the time with just my 100-400. Somehow I just never want to risk not being able to take a picture by leaving some of my equipment at home. And to make things worse: now that I have a tripod with a gimbal head, and noticed how much difference in sharpness photographing with it makes, I am leaning towards taking that one with me everywhere I go too. It is heavy and large, but I would do anything for that one great picture (which still has to come to be honest ;)). And the crazy thing is that a while back when the largest part of my gear was with Canon for recalibrating I had a lot of fun with just my 40D + 60/2.8 Macro. I really loved the way the fixed focal length forced me to think and be creative.

The part of enjoying myself while taking pictures is usually covered. I LOVE doing it, and most of the time I enjoy myself a lot. Sometimes it is just one of those days where I get frustrated a bit with the lack of great opportunities (or: I just don't see them ;)) and when I come home with absolutely nothing I sometimes get annoyed a bit. The best thing is though that even though I don't come back with great pictures, I did get to be out in nature, just relaxing and enjoying myself with my camera. And that's something I am very happy with as well. Expectations are a problem though: I don't really expect, but I really want my pictures to be as sharp as possible, and with a smooth background, with beautiful colors and light. This just isn't always possible (especially with nature photography I have experienced that getting a smooth background of good composition is extremely dependent on the wildlife you are photographing, and I am just not experienced enough yet to create and/or find these situations on a regular basis yet.

I do like to think about pictures I would like to take and how I would take them, or even form a project around it, but I agree with you completely that most of the time these ideas never come to fruition. My interest is pretty wide; almost anything I can get in front of my lens is fun for me to take pictures off. So I am not really exclusively interested in nature photography. It is my main interest though. Being on a holiday I like to do a bit of street photography as well, shoot landscapes (which is very closely related to nature photography if you ask me) and even though I don't really like using flash or lights studio photography has started to interest me a bit more as well. It basically comes down to: give me a camera and I will enjoy myself no matter what I am going to take pictures off.

I will surely hang on to my biggest passion, which is nature photography, though. And I don't think that particular part sounded too deep; it kind of hit the spot if you ask me :).

EDIT: Lol I took so long typing this that I didn't read your reply till now oldCarlos. You really had me laughing with whoever has the most toys ;).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:11 am 

Mike, we all strive for that perfect image, that is what keeps us going I think. :wink:

What I will add though, re birds/wildlife, is i'm not a fan of those who interfere too much & disturb critters for the sole purpose of trying to get that perfect image. I know it can be a fine balance sometimes, but there really are too many photographers in that camp, who overstep the mark.
(btw, I'm not talking about enticing birds/wildlife to certain areas or in your garden, but those who disturb sites & maybe break laws to do so)

Their welfare is paramount imo, NOT the photograph! Personally I would much prefer a less than perfect image, than know i'd disturbed them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:24 am 

he who has the most toys wins :D

I have loads of hobbies, photography is big one, but I find that at different stages I pursue one more than the other. I am not 100% mad about all of them, but I do have re-occuring themes, I dabble in things but come back to the hobbies that give me the most pleasure. Balance that with two kids, house renovations and work and time is limited. But I nearly always have the camera with me in. I may not use it, but miss it if it isn`t there.

Essentially as long as it involves, food, wildlife, birds, outdoors, fishing, motorbikes, caravan, eating , drinking, camping, photography, kids, family I am in it. I do have a bit of a thing for baking my own sourdough bread.

I understand about buying camera gear and researching it, but try and balance it with what I need and what I want. Have to admit, I am pretty happy with what I got now.
If I was to go out to a nature reserve or a national park for a few hours, I would take the 7D and the 70-300 and the 6D with the 17-40 or the 24-70 and the 100 as a macro lens and agree its important to capture nature as is.

The only thing I can see me getting next is the new version of the 100-400L. I also want to work on street and landscape photography.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:45 am 

@ oldCarlos: I agree with you fully that the well being of the animals and of the environment is priority one. Regrettably there are people who don't stop at anything just to get a perfect picture. I would personally never do that. But within does boundaries I do strive for the "perfect" picture every time. I have experienced that gear plays a very important role here. My 100-400 is a great piece of hardware, but it can never compete with a 500/4, 600/4 or 800/5.6 when looking at that incredibly smooth bokeh when shooting from a fixed distance. The fixed distance is the biggest factor here, since a photographer in many occasions just can't get any closer, and the longer your lens the smoother the picture will become then because of the smaller DoF.

@ maxjj: I am very happy with my gear at this time too. There are some things I am still missing though: a 24-105 would fill a large gap I am experiencing, the 100L Macro would be a fantastic replacement of my 60mm, a set of extenders and extension tubes, filters, a ball head, a full frame body for landscapes and portraits, and last but not least a 500/4 L would really be heaven. But even though I really would like all that stuff, my gear is not what frustrates me at this moment. The list would be a great addition but that's it. Finding a balance with the limited amount of time I have available is an entirely different thing though :(.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:54 pm 

don`t worry, it will get worse, you will realize how much time you did have once kids come along. :D
They are the biggest time consumers known to man. I wouldn`t be surprised if those thoughts will change completely once kids are there, they will change your whole perspective and your priorities.
For starters, you will be too tired and you will not care.
The they get sick and you need to look after them, then you will be too busy taking them to sports or other activities and feeding them. Dad " I am starving too death" at 6.00 o`clock in the morning.

Fortunately, they make great subjects and I have learned to build my life and photography around them and family activities.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:26 pm 

Doing a 10 day trip thru alabama, georgia, and tennesse. Because of only using my 50mm for so long in Afghanistan, i'm cutting back and only taking my 50 and my 35. I'll also be picking up all of my dad's film gear :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 107  Next