Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dubai Mall Butterflies
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:14 am 
Morning,

Took these the other day. I love this space in the mall and the butterfly installation.

The photos were taken handheld using my new 550D with its 18-135 kit lens.

CC sought. I'l looking to improve my photography but I dont seem to have the eye for the image that some people do :-(

Couple of others here along with photo information https://picasaweb.google.com/iangandert ... 5L8jdKOCQ#

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:25 am 

That's a nice quiet area of the mall. I stumbled on that and wondered how the hell to take a photo of it. The shallower depth of field plus making a single butterfly standout is probably the best way to go. The less fussy background on the 2nd shot draws me more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:47 pm 
I've always like the feeling of space and light in the area + I find the butterflies stunning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:43 am 

Whenever I see photos of the Middle East, it looks like there's so much cash sloshing around that they've no idea what to do with it. I suppose that's a result of the drain of wealth from Western countries.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:04 am 

A slightly leftfield comment to a post of a new member of the forum, Kimchi. I doubt the butterflies cost much. As for the Middle East in general - Yemen, Lebanon, Syria, Palestine - seen the news recently?

But seriously, Dubai's wealth is not derived from oil, unlike other countries in the area. It's always been an ecomony based on trade and in recent years tourism as well. The boom in tourism, coupled with the record growth of Middle Eastern airlines as they create hubs between Europe and Australasia, has brought about this increased profile. The massive projects, some completed, some mothballed and others now cancelled, have been the vision of the leadership of the Emirate. Sure, occasionally the taste is lacking to certain eyes, but it's been quite a model for the region. Doha in Qatar is the next one to watch.

Still, the recession has hit hard and they have suffered a massive financial crisis like the rest of the world.

Would I visit for a vacation? Probably not. As a place to live I haven't got too many complaints.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:22 am 

The opening scene of Ice Age comes to mind for some reason. A little tiny crack...