Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:41 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:47 pm 

I have a feeling Gordon Lang will finish a full review by next week if not the end of this week! Which for me is great!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:38 pm 

Yes plenty fast enough for me too. Just wanted note the staggered RSS updates, although that may very well be by design. My RSS feed did update this morning with the first note on the 70D at 4:26 AM Pacific time this morning with "Canon EOS 70D review-in-progress - full quality results!"

Gordon's reviews consistently offer commentary and proof of what each camera has to offer, both as a single entity and in comparison to the closest offerings of other manufacturers that the buyer is likely to consider. Plus he listens to his audience. I remember back when the Panasonic FZ-150 was reviewed I asked about how the microphone input performed with a Rode mic. And a few days later he had a video up showing how it did and in comparison with the internal microphone. I bought that camera and thoroughly enjoyed it for several months, before selling it putting the money to other needs having learned from it a better understanding of what I need and how much I am willing to pay to get it.

The 70D is looking well worth that money to me. Stills are my primary concern but at 7FPS and canon accurate color gradations and the extremely convenient flip screen, micro lens adjustment, etc. Well you can see why the 60D owners have been so well satisfied with the previous generation it had unique benefits when it launched.

The video quality (not focusing) of the 70D footage is getting some negative comments in relation to aliasing and moire. I am hoping we hear of some success with Magic Lantern and the 70D in the next couple months the richer colors and sense of depth that affords would more than make up for any deficits. Not to mention focus peaking. I just don't get why Canon would of left that off. I used the CHDSK hack over a dozen years ago to enable zebra stripes and other very significant features on Canon point and shoot. $1,200 cameras should have focus peaking and intervalometer built in, period.

That said though, even though it means eating lot of rice and eggs for several months to scrape up the coin, I think this purchase will satisfy most of my photographic needs for quite a few years. Compromise is not a four letter word.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:11 pm 

When I see the comparison raws of the canon 70D and the Nikon D7100, Nikon strengths are the usual strengths, better exposure and more pixels giving better detail.

The quality of both lenses appear to be similar, Canon always excels from what I have been seeing on user pictures posted on forums comparision pics etc, is in contrast and color, which is important to me.

Plus the 70D I think has better performance overall, AF 7fps and a light body, I think canon has better lenses than Nikon, this is a camera I plan to save for and buy, as well as the EFS 15-85mm and EF 40mm.

I hope the price of the 70D goes down by Christmas enough to make it more affordable For Me!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:36 pm 

It looks like the Spot AF feature was not implemented in the 70D? That would be very disappointing if it was removed as I need this when shooting birds among branches. Both the 7D and D7100 have Spot AF.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:53 am 

Hi hoodlum, so why not buy the 7D for birding?
I don`t do video and I use mine for chasing birds and wildlife. If you don`t do video the only advantage is that is looks like it will be able to go one stop higher in iso and still get reasonable shots, so up 6400iso, the limit for the 7D is 3200.

And until you get a few in report from people out in the field, I would be a bit cautions about weather sealing claims. If it was as good as the 7D why not say so??
Like anyone knows how good the 1N body is or was and how it would compare to today`s world with a much bigger emphasis on electronics.

Someone that posts on this forum has already lost one or two bodies of the 6D due moisture ingress, the 7D`s can handle the same conditions fine.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:48 am 

maxjj, yes weather sealing is a factor I should consider, especially with the kind of weather we have here in the Caribbean!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:10 am 

You summed it up well LORD Edon. Contrast and color is more important to me as well; than Nikons edge on resolution. I was tempted by the D7100 as Canon seemed to be dragging its heals, but no flip screen, touch etc, 2X crop would have been handy though. Maybe Magic Lantern could add that to the 70D.

The spot focus will be missed by many, flying critters are more important to me so I shouldn't miss out too much.

I have made up my mind to get the EOS-M & 22 on the cheap next week. If I enjoy the 35mm focal length I will target a Sigma 18-35 1.8 ($700) before the 70-300L and perhaps a STM will make its way into the world bye then. Likely Dec-Mar before I have the 70D body and one good lens.

Gordon's reviews are so darn useful and timely. Real glad Gordon got his hands on one so early. I am surprised there are no YouTube "quicky" final reviews yet. Seems publishers are showing some restraint.

I am in washy Washington State so I might add a custom boot around the 70D body as I will be in the rain a lot. I plan to buy an extensive extended warranty, don't know who through yet though. How the EOS-M will take the weather is another question entirely, hmmmm.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:32 am 

Oop, my mistake, what killed the deal for me with the D7100 is the 6 frame RAW burst buffer depth. 70D has 16, a bit lower res but a couple seconds of burst tracking fast moving objects in PDAF. Two seconds is worlds better than one second, for me at least. Of course I had no glass investment to pull me one way or the other.

I wonder if Gordon can find a speed boat or some event where ever he is these days to compare the two in old fashioned OVF PDAF. No worries though if can't.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:21 am 

Gordon added 6 movie sample videos to his developing 70D review. Simply brilliant stuff. The 3x zoom seems to be cropping 1080 from the center so 3X magnification has no loss of detail. 10X mag is averaged but still will be quite useful. The beach scenes demonstrate the benefits of the ALL-i vs IPB recording modes. Useful for me as I like to grab frames from animal videos.

Imagine using a 70-300L lens with 3X magnification on this crop sensor. And getting that clean of a result. that would be, if I am not mistaken;

300mm (x 1.6 crop) (x 3) = 1,440 mm video. Absolutely brilliant.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:55 am 

OH! TWINK TWICE! THE 70D is not strong enough to with Stand true OutDoor Use!!

After another part of my Samsung galaxy S III Malfunctioned since I dropped it on the pavement months ago, I though again of my decision to buy the 70D, and I realise, I would be spending a lot of money for that camera, only to have it Malfunction when I drop it and/or it gets wet because its body is weak.

So I will wait for the 7D Mark II, same sensor as the 70D only it will simply be a new and improved 7D with 100% view finder, strong alloy body etc.

The performance of the 70D is good enough for me, the body and weather sealing, IS NOT!

I wont be buying the 7D because, I want the best image quality and I am impressed with user screen shots of the 70D at photography-on-the.net/forum, in which the digital quality is significantly better than the 18MP sensors of lower cameras!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:37 pm 

What sort of abuse are you planning on subjecting the camera to? Weather resistance of the 70D is supposed to be comparable to the 7D. If there is more than a little rain you probably want to look at a rain cover anyway. On the 7D, I've only had it go funny twice from water ingress, and that was after using it, unprotected, in continuous rain for several hours. Was fine again after drying out.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:51 pm 

I am already planing to put aside the local equivalent of $540USD, when i get my back pay,(I wont bother explaining what that is) and then enough over the next 3 monthly salaries to add to my credit limit for a total of about $1430USD.

I plan to buy the Canon 70D at $800USD and the Canon EFS 15-85mm at $630 USD on sale brand new at a certain seller on ebay.

For me its not worth paying $1200 for that camera and then something happens to it, I would rather pay $1500 to $2000 for the 7D Mk II and know that camera would with stand physical drops, great weather sealing even though not complete (I know the lens weather sealing is also important).

No body not even canon official compares the 70D weather sealing to a current camera, it was compare to the film camera 4N i think.

I wont be paying $1200 for the 70D as its all plastic and no matter how strong plastic is in my experience plastic still breaks easily with hard falls, and I wont take that chance if the 70D cost more than $800.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:30 am 

I have to agree with popo. I had a similar experience with the 7D dying out in the rain despite its weather sealing though it was OK after being run under the hair dryer for a few minutes. If your plan is to shoot in the rain, you should have a rain cover - weather sealing doesn't make the camera and lens impervious to the elements, it only prolongs their resistance.

It's naive to assume that the 7D Mark II would withstand drops. The 7D is extremely tough but it's not indestructible, nor is the 7D Mark II likely to be. If you were to get the 7D Mark II and it became damaged due to a fall or some sort of impact, I'm curious if you'd think it was worth paying that much. Is this experience of yours with plastic easily breaking under hard falls with a non-DSLR product? My 550D has had a couple of pretty hard falls onto solid ground without so much as a crack.

Again, where does this seemingly arbitrary $800 price come from for the 70D? Is there some insider knowledge you have and are not sharing or is this still that wishful thinking fantasy?

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:59 am 

HHHHHmmmmmmmmmmmm, the weather sealing thing i have to agree with you on that.

As for the physical toughness of the 7D check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCT-YMgjm9k

This convinced me the 7D is tough, and even though I wont freeze it, burn it, let it get run over, it would survive simple accidents better than the 70D!

I might still decide to buy the 70D anyway, I am already putting aside money for the 2 lenses zoom and prime and the 70D, I really hope I can get it for $800

What I want in a camera is what i want in all technology that is said in One Word, DURABILITY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:34 pm 

LORD Edon wrote:
As for the physical toughness of the 7D check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCT-YMgjm9k

This convinced me the 7D is tough, and even though I wont freeze it, burn it, let it get run over, it would survive simple accidents better than the 70D!

I saw that video at least a year ago. While it's robust, it was hardly subjected to high impact or pressure tests.

The law of Sod would dictate that if you bought the 7D Mark II solely for durability over the 70D, you would break the former with the most rotten luck. :mrgreen:

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next