Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:46 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, today Panasonic announced the Lumix G5, its latest mirror-less body!

See our Panasonic Lumix G5 review!

Panasonic's Lumix G5 is the latest in its growing range of mirrorless compact system cameras, or as it now likes to call them, DSLMs. Headline upgrades over the earlier G3 include a new 16 Megapixel sensor, 1080p video, 6fps shooting, three-frame HDR, a selection of art effects, a silent shutter option, a new lever for power zoom lenses and the ability to touch-focus with the screen while composing with the viewfinder.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:46 pm 

Very interesting camera indeed with a very strong feature set.
big grip, more battery life, Sielent shutter and very realistic hdr mode are useful and noise supressing sensor is compelling. The only thing i am missing here from my GH1 side of the house is multi-aspect sensor. Maybe I should wait that little more for GH3. Any idea if the sensor is same as of Olympus OM-D? and what available kits options?

H.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:01 am 

I'm not Gordon, but I'm pretty sure that the G5 does not have the same (Sony manufactured) sensor that's in the Oly E-M5. I'm also reasonably sure that the standard G5 kit will be with the normal 14-42mm lens. There will probably also be a 2 lens kit that adds the new 45-150mm lens. (And maybe a kit with the new 14-42mm X lens, but I'm not as sure about this last.)

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:28 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, we've just finished our full review, comparing the G5 against the Sony NEX 6!

See our Panasonic Lumix G5 review!

Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:56 pm 

Hi Gordon,

thanks for your great review of the G5.
I own this camera for a few month now. I bought it in November 2012 as a replacement of my beloved G3.

I have the feeling that this Camera is one of the most underated's ever. There is so little response in the press, no marketing in Germany at all. But ist is realy ab big step forward related to the G3, and its so much more affordable then the GH3 if you are able to pass the great videofeatures of it.

There are only a few criticism for me,
- the JPeg-Engine of panasonic ever was and is still rubbish. You have to do raw processing.
- purly/not implemented Auto-ISO Function
- Highlights in EVF / Screen difficult to see
If someone can live with this drawbacks, its a great Camera.

Regards
Jörg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

I agree Jörg, it may lack the glamour of the GH3 and EM5, but considering the specs, it's one of the best value mirrorless cameras around.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:38 pm 

Hi Gordon, congratulations on your website.

I have a Pana TZ20 which has a good quality in my point of view for both video and photo. I use the camera indoors, realize photos of informatic hardware.

I aspire to be a better photographer and G5 I think this may be a good option. In my new camera look for a significant improvement in image quality and I trust the quality of video that offers panasonic.

Initially will use automated methods. In your review I've seen that video mode you indicate that you can not make manual adjustments, not if it really is a big handicap for a person like me who does not really have a knowledge excessive.

I considered the possibility of buying the Nikon D3200, in Europe both as the D3200 and G5 cost the same (400€) with the basic kit. From Nikon do not like their weight, I was able to catch both this afternoon and what a difference in favor of the G5.

I understand that the D3200 is superior in image the G5, but playing video, which would be the better of the two?.

If you think there is for a similar price a camera with good video and image quality feel free to lay that out.

I await your wise recommendations.
Sorry for my bad english, im writing from Spain.