Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:44 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:57 pm 

... Hi - I am new to an SLR - I got one last week and am eager to learn - My children are my main target in my images and I would love some honest feedback on improvements to make and things to look for - excuse the picture spam .... :oops:

This one I love but somehow managed to make my son look as if he had 6 toes :!: :!:

I should stop now lol - in my defense I was very excited about my camera and still am!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:16 am 

Welcome to Camera Labs Judith and congratulations on your new camera. Children make for great pictures subjects don't they?
I like the one of your kids kneeling down besides the tree (and the subsequent hug picture is nice as well).
One tip I would like to share with you is to try new compositions. A lot of the pictures below have their subjects in the very middle of the photograph. Take the one of your son ready to ride his scooter (I hope that's the correct term) down the skating ramp. To me it tells a story of preparation. He's telling himself: I can do this. He's collecting courage to race down the slope. The picture would be stronger with your son positioned at the right of the picture and more of the ramp showing on the left. That gives the scene more context. Another way to do that is by either taking a step backwards or zooming out. Close-up pictures like the one of your daughter looking in the treasure box are nice personal memories, because you know exactly what happened at that moment, but to a viewer like me, it's unclear what's happening.

- Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:49 pm 

thanks - Just tried simply cropping the scooter picture and love the way it works :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:00 pm 

not a bad selection for your first week with a SLR. :wink:

it looks like some of the shots are quite soft or are not quite sharp enough, this may be a function of the lens or a little bit of camera shake. Now you have the bug and
are taking more shots you may be looking at upgrading the basic lens that came with your camera ? maybe look to something with image stabilisation to help remove the shake or a slightly faster lens.

Another tip I was given was to use a telephoto lens from a distance to gain those candid shots as its easier to frame the shot than being too close to the subject and also narrows the depth of field pushing the background out of focus. This can be achieved closer up for starters its easier to focus on getting the shot rather than messing with settings on the camera.

Enjoy :D

Got some of the gear but really still no idea...:)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:51 am 

Some nice shots there and some great memories for you to compile an album (try not to keep everything in the digital realm). On a couple of the shots there are some shadows on the faces you might want to consider using some fill in flash to compensate for this, even though using a flash on a sunny day can seem counter intuitive.

http://keystrokesukimages.com