Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, this is the official thread to discuss Panasonic's 2013 travel zoom, the Lumix TZ40 / ZS30.

See my Panasonic Lumix TZ40 / ZS30 review!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:25 pm 

Thanks for the great review. I just found out the ZS27 (ZS30 without GPS) doesn't has the 5-axis IS, same for the ZS25. Another important feature missing on the ZS27 is the electronic level, which probably explains why there is no 5-axis on the ZS25/27.

Can you compare the enhanced OIS of ZS25 against the hybrid 5-axis OIS of ZS30 in your upcoming ZS25 review?

thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Andy, I hope to publish our ZS25 / TZ35 review soon, but until then, when comparing its OIS against the ZS30 / TZ40 for stills and video, we couldn't actually notice any difference! of course other's mileage may vary...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:11 am 

Thanks, did you compare the ZS30 with hybrid OIS enabled in movie mode? I think the only difference is video mode, I think the Panasonic uses a mixed of optical and digital (crop) IS for movie.

I decided to keep the ZS27 but curious to know the differences too. My other choice - HX50V is too expensive for me. It is almost double the price I paid for my ZS27.

Last edited by Bjorn van Sinttruije on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Removed unnecessary quote. Please quote responsibly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

Yep it was all enabled. I didn't do the comparison myself, but Ken assured me he couldn't spot any significant difference.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:06 am 

Just read your ZS35 review, I was away for two weeks. Funny the final review says the ZS40 5-axis helps video but I compared the two, both actually suffers the same "side-to-side shimmying".

http://vimeo.com/67663662

http://vimeo.com/64057980

The Sony HX50 works better in terms of eliminate side by side shake during max zoom.

http://vimeo.com/67305605

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:40 pm 

Has anyone connected camera to Samsung Galaxy S2 phone via NFC?

At first I got nothing when trying to use NFC to connect the camera and the Galaxy S2 phone. Then I read somewhere that the oem phone battery has the NFC antenna, so I swapped out my after market battery for an oem battery. Turned on the Panasonic image app. Touching the back of the phone to the NFC area on the camera results in some tones that sound promising, and the camera says it's connecting. However, it never does.

If you have NFC working with the Galaxy S2, how did you do it?

I've only had this phone for three days. The Camera Labs review of this and the competing Canon and Sony helped me decide. None of my local stores carried it, so I bought it online without having ever held it. Scary, but I like it a lot so far (It replaces an old Canon A700).

Bebe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:23 pm 

Gordon, can you clear something up please. Is this camera mainly plastic or metal I have read a number of reviews many of which contradict each other.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:26 pm 

I've tentatively decided to get one of these, but the review talks a lot about the January release cycle. Does that mean that a successor to the ZS30 is immanent?

-Bob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:25 am 

first off, amazed by the depth of the site and its reviews. overwhelming at times, sure, but a much needed (and much appreciated) resource.

before posting i was sure to read over every review i could find, as well as downloaded the user and 'advanced user' manuals from panasonic's site ... but still can't get a definitive answer to my question. am hoping you can help with either a quick "yes" or "no."

in numerous other reviews you have included sample videos of the "pull touch-focusing" ability in video record mode. i did not see any reference or examples of this in the review for the tz40 / zs30 - continuous AF and continuous AF tracking, yes but nothing about ability to "pull focus" while recording. the camera has a touchscreen and "touch AF" is mentioned in the specs ... so would i be correct in assuming this function is available in video record mode? (please tell me it's not limited to just taking pictures).

a seemingly silly question perhaps, but living on an island i'd like to make sure i order the right camera right out of the gate. haha.

again, much thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:26 am 

LostInTheTrees wrote:
I've tentatively decided to get one of these, but the review talks a lot about the January release cycle. Does that mean that a successor to the ZS30 is immanent?

-Bob

you are correct, bob. here is gordon's preview of the newer version:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... TZ60_ZS40/