Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:37 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:57 pm
Posts: 131
Seems you people dont have more to say until the Canon 70D is released.

Things that are great about this Camera, its better in almost every way than all the previous xxDs, Superior AF, Superior Sensor, Superior Frame rate, Same shutter speeds like all the non rebel DSLR cameras.
Only thing not better is the Build Quality, the benefit of that is the size and weight are less than all previous xxDs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:58 pm
Posts: 822
Location: United Kingdom
Are you confusing build quality that's not improved with a perception that build quality hasn't improved because it has an aluminium/polycarbonate body compared to the 50D's magnesium body? Are there specific references to the 70D being of poor build quality? Unless the 70D has the same quality of materials as a toy from Poundland, is the build quality going to pose a serious problem?

Not to suggest one should blindly stop using metal for construction materials but if plastics and composites are good enough for the aerospace and automotive industries, I'd imagine they'd do fine in a camera.

_________________
DSLRs: Canon EOS 70D, 30D
Lenses: Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:57 pm
Posts: 131
Rorschach wrote:
Are you confusing build quality that's not improved with a perception that build quality hasn't improved because it has an aluminium/polycarbonate body compared to the 50D's magnesium body? Are there specific references to the 70D being of poor build quality? Unless the 70D has the same quality of materials as a toy from Poundland, is the build quality going to pose a serious problem?

Not to suggest one should blindly stop using metal for construction materials but if plastics and composites are good enough for the aerospace and automotive industries, I'd imagine they'd do fine in a camera.


The build quality of the 70D is More than Good Enough, though not as GREAT as the 7D, (I held a 7D) and I am concerned of weather sealing of the 70D, I decided life is too short to buy anything cheap, which includes lenses.

Even if the 70D weather sealing is not what I want its a great buy for any amateur like me. I know that Christmas season will drop the prices to what I want, and lots of other people both pro and amateurs will take advantage of this and buy the 70D at the Low Christmas Prices.

I wait Eagerly for Gordon Lang to review this camera after its mass production and release this September. I am hoping Canon makes improvements to the build quality by then, and better still some Weather Sealing!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 10:34 pm
Posts: 1417
Location: Mexico City, Mexico
LORD Edon wrote:
I am hoping Canon makes improvements to the build quality by then, and better still some Weather Sealing!

That is an extremely improbable case, like 1 in 10,000,000. By this time, the main features such as the build quality and weather sealing are going to stay as they are. Also, I personally think Canon won't weather-seal the xxD line, it's like if they started weather-sealing non-L lenses. Build quality improvement is unlikely as it would increase price to the point that might fall out of the normal budget for somebody buying a body on the xxD line.

EDIT: Yes, I know the Canon EF 400mm/4DO IS USM is weather sealed even though it's not L, but it's an exception.

_________________
Gear: Canon SX20 IS, Canon Rebel T3i, Canon EF-S 18-55mm, Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Wishlist: Canon EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6L
Visit me and leave me a comment in My Flickr :)


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:58 pm
Posts: 822
Location: United Kingdom
LORD Edon wrote:
The build quality of the 70D is More than Good Enough, though not as GREAT as the 7D, (I held a 7D) and I am concerned of weather sealing of the 70D, I decided life is too short to buy anything cheap, which includes lenses.

Forgive me for nitpicking but your previous post referred to the xxD series, not the 7D. The 70D isn't a successor to the 7D as the former isn't being marketed as effectively being the range topper of the Canon APS-C bodies.

LORD Edon wrote:
Even if the 70D weather sealing is not what I want its a great buy for any amateur like me. I know that Christmas season will drop the prices to what I want, and lots of other people both pro and amateurs will take advantage of this and buy the 70D at the Low Christmas Prices.

To avoid disappointment, you should set realistic expectations for a price drop (at least a significant one) in time for Christmas. In my view, the 70D has been the most eagerly anticipated APS-C Canon in a long time and with that anticipation leading to high demand, I can't think what would lead Canon to believe they should introduce a seasonal price cut just weeks after it goes on sale. The 70D may not be the very best Canon has to offer at any price but it's not a box shift item that attracts little margin and sells in high numbers. If low pricing is what you're after, The 100D and 1100D are probably what you should be looking at - I'd be surprised if promotional deals aren't made for either of them at Christmas.

_________________
DSLRs: Canon EOS 70D, 30D
Lenses: Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM


Last edited by Rorschach on Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 10:34 pm
Posts: 1417
Location: Mexico City, Mexico
Rorschach wrote:
If low pricing is what you're after, The 100D and 1100D are probably what you should be looking at - I'd be surprised if promotional deals aren't made for either of them at Christmas.

On a personal note, I'd add the 600D and 550D, those already have great deals and for what I've seen, stores just want to get them off the shelves, especially the 550D, which I believe you can find cheaper than the 1100D and it is overall a better camera.

_________________
Gear: Canon SX20 IS, Canon Rebel T3i, Canon EF-S 18-55mm, Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Wishlist: Canon EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6L
Visit me and leave me a comment in My Flickr :)


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:57 pm
Posts: 131
Rorschach wrote:
LORD Edon wrote:
Even if the 70D weather sealing is not what I want its a great buy for any amateur like me. I know that Christmas season will drop the prices to what I want, and lots of other people both pro and amateurs will take advantage of this and buy the 70D at the Low Christmas Prices.

To avoid disappointment, you should set realistic expectations for a price drop (at least a significant one) in time for Christmas. In my view, the 70D has been the most eagerly anticipated APS-C Canon in a long time and with that anticipation leading to high demand, I can't think what would lead Canon to believe they should introduce a seasonal price cut just weeks after it goes on sale. The 70D may not be the very best Canon has to offer at any price but it's not a box shift item that attracts little margin and sells in high numbers. If low pricing is what you're after, The 100D and 1100D are probably what you should be looking at - I'd be surprised if promotional deals aren't made for either of them at Christmas.


I know this, and I have prepared my budget for Full price, I am hoping it gets as low as $800USD by Christmas!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:57 pm
Posts: 131
pierovera wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
If low pricing is what you're after, The 100D and 1100D are probably what you should be looking at - I'd be surprised if promotional deals aren't made for either of them at Christmas.

On a personal note, I'd add the 600D and 550D, those already have great deals and for what I've seen, stores just want to get them off the shelves, especially the 550D, which I believe you can find cheaper than the 1100D and it is overall a better camera.


I have decided I wont be buying any old rebels, i get better deals on ebay for old xxD DSLRs than I do old rebels on ebay. I have decided if i go cheap i go the 100D/SL1 the prices on ebay are already about $500USD!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:58 pm
Posts: 822
Location: United Kingdom
LORD Edon wrote:
I know this, and I have prepared my budget for Full price, I am hoping it gets as low as $800USD by Christmas!

With a retail price expected to fall in the region of $1,200 I struggle to think what would drive a 1/3 discount in the space of three months though stranger things have happened.

The EOS M may have seen its price drop substantially but I'd put that on it being a camera that was playing catch up as soon as it was launched. That doesn't seem likely to be the case with the 70D so a $400 price cut (or even a figure close to that) in 3 months sounds most unlikely.

_________________
DSLRs: Canon EOS 70D, 30D
Lenses: Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:57 pm
Posts: 131
I expect anything with price changes, I have seen prices of cameras rise and fall, I am hoping for the best and expecting the worst!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:57 pm
Posts: 131
http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/08/cano ... tores-now/

Camera seems to be on sale with kit lens in Australia, and its said to be shipping to other retailers now!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:57 pm
Posts: 131
Canon 70D to be released this Monday coming 26th August 2013.

Looks like I will be seeing a Full Review sooner than I hoped!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:22 am
Posts: 26
Hello Gordon.

Great work as usual. I'll have to add some coffee money to my 70D purchase budget.

I just read your posted review content till date and studied the images and video. I also posted a heads up and link over at the DPReview APS-C forum. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52044255.

I think the images suffer NO compromised because of the DP sensor design. But of course I will be listening closely to professional reviewers such as your self to guide my conclusions.

I am also very eager to hear comment on the old touchstones of canon weaknesses vs the competitors, for instance color noise in the shadow areas.

Studying studio comparisons I have come to the conclusion that indeed the 60D was slightly better than the 7D at high ISO, and the T4i, slightly better than that, and then SL1 & EOS-M again slightly better, and finally the 70D a measurable improvement again. Maybe it is just wishful thinking? I had a devil of a time finding color noise in the shadows of the church yard.

Shadow & Highlight recovery in comparison to the D7100 would be helpful, any comment at all if you get time to toy with it.

Personally i will be watching anything I can find, like Blunty's videos of the 70D in combination with the Sigma 18-35 F1.8.

Comments from you as to if you feel the STM lenses still are relevantly superior in combination with the DP-AF, or if simply using external microphone and any decent glass would work as well.

I am planing to buy the EOS-M & 22mm f2 STM next month and then saving up for purchasing in this order, ANYONE feel free to comment on if this doesn't sound like a good kit;

Always to be on hip, EOS-M & 22mm STM & Flash & a couple spare batteries.
A couple Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 GB SD cards.
Canon 70D and cheap lens, 40 STM or the 18-135 STM combo.
Sigma 18-35 F1.8
Canon 70-300 F4-5.6L IS USM UD unless something better by then.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:57 pm
Posts: 131
I am Glad Gordon has the Canon 70D to review, the irony is that I learned of the updated preview on photography-on-the.net/forum on the Canon 70D thread

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/sho ... 2&page=112

I have a new name there!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:22 am
Posts: 26
Bye the way Gordon, your RSS feeds seem to always be updated quite late. I have noticed this for years, and even deleted it and reloaded it just to see if that was the problem.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All words, images, videos and layout, copyright 2005-2012 Gordon Laing. May not be used without permission.
/ How we test / Best Cameras / Advertising / Camera reviews / Supporting Camera Labs

Webdesign by Alphabase IT
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group