Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:21 pm 

My new camera is coming in the mail tomorrow, and I have a photo pass for an arena show, to shoot from the photo pit. The stage is about 4.5-5feet high.Colored lighting, a lot of them, always changing. i'll be right in front of the stage
Due to the very short amount of time-one week-before this event, I'd like to see what you all recommend for settings.
The camera is the Canon 7D, the lense I chose is a Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS lense

What I have as suggested settings, from reading various forums is:

AV priority
flash off
spot metering
ISO 1600
shutter-auto
White balance-either leave on auto, or set to something like Tungsten to tamp down the bright spotlights?

Single shot mode?

Any suggestions welcomed. I know full manual is preferred, but I have to go with a god amount of auto, as I don't know the camera at all yet.
Also, once I find the settings I want for this show, will the camera store them? As either a custom settings option I can save, or will the camera just save the settings from the last time I had the camera on? I'd like to get everything set prior to use, prior to being in a dark pit with an unfamiliar camera. I won this photo pass in a random contest and would really love to get some nice shots.
Thanks,

(Oh-and I made sure to start on this site before going to order through B&H. I've read the forums quite a bit, great resource, so I hope the purchase helps out.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:41 am 

Hi Kimberly, welcome to the forum.

Sorry I can’t suggest setting but I would advise not shooting manual, it takes a great deal of experience for this in any sort of lighting.

I used the forum search function for concert and came across this thread, there are many more which I did not read.

Maestro posted his thoughts on this in the thread below.

viewtopic.php?p=205974#p205974

Salekucevo posted this link in the thread, night concert shooting where you can have a look at the exif. It will give you a base line for your setting.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/salekucevo/sets/

Hope this helps.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:21 am 

Ha! Well, since I was name checked specifically, I guess I should put my money ... or rather photos ... where my mouth (words? letters? posts?) are. To that end, I'll include a few shots I took at a show last week, but first:

Kimberly14 wrote:
What I have as suggested settings, from reading various forums is:

AV priority

The problem with Aperture Priority mode in a concert setting is that the camera may choose a shutter speed that's too slow to freeze the action. i.e. the pic will have too much motion blur. That's why, in my previous post, I specified Shutter Priority instead.

Also note my caution against auto-WB in my previous post.

Quote:
I know full manual is preferred, but I have to go with a god amount of auto

That said, with a 7D specifically, I would shoot Manual, 1/160 shutter, lens wide open (f2.8 in this case), and auto-ISO with a max of 1600. (And shoot RAW or RAW + JPEG in case you need to boost exposure higher in post.) Although, personally, for the following pics, I set ISO to 1600 just "rode" the shutter (in full stop increments) with the light levels (and fine-tuned exposure in post).

And yes, the 7D does have three "memory" locations (C1, C2, C3) to which settings can be saved/stored. The one potential "gotcha" is that you need to make sure to set the mode dial to the appropriate setting. (Not always easy in the dark, and I've accidentally bumped the dial and changed modes on more than one occasion. So you might want to glance at your LCD every once in a while to confirm. I've gotten into the habit of checking between songs when they usually black out the lights anyway, so I won't be taking any pictures.)

HTH - Mark

1 by Mark@Nite, on Flickr

2 by Mark@Nite, on Flickr

3 by Mark@Nite, on Flickr

4 by Mark@Nite, on Flickr

5 by Mark@Nite, on Flickr

P.S. Congrats on winning the pass! If it allows you to shoot for the entire show (as opposed to most official media passes which only allow the first three songs), you could have time to review your first few shots and adjust shutter speed (or other settings, but I would go with shutter first) accordingly. Or if there's an opening act, you could take a few test shots during their set, but keep in mind that light levels are generally lower for the opener.

P.P.S. Welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:53 am 

Thank you ! I'll definitely take your suggestions! This is my move from a G 11, then G15 to a 7d.
Yes, I forgot to say I'd take RAW files.
The pass is first 3 songs.
What I may do is set up a custom setting, have it ready to go just turn of the dial.
Maybe start with manual but depends how comfortable I am switching things in the dark like iso
I'll start playing with it tonight. It's just arrived in the mail but I'm working today.
I've been wanting this camera a while now (b&h still had the $1299 body only price)
It'll be a big learning curve.
So you think just leave it on those settings, especially shutter speed and I'd be good to go?
I'll look in the manual for a way to cap the ISo at 1600 if one exists

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:33 pm 

It exists. And I think it isn't even buried that deep in the menu so you should be fine :).

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtkoopmans/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:30 pm 

Thanks, it's all very helpful info. I'll be digging into the manual tonight.

Here's a set I took back in June with the Canon G15. I was 2-3 rows of people back from the barricade. The G15 only has a 5X zoom, but it does the job for a novice with (large) pocket camera.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kassie67/s ... 154305033/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:20 am 

Well geez, since you took those pics, you hardly need advice from me. Nice shots! But while I was browsing, I checked the EXIF data on a few of the pics and saw shutter speeds ranging from 1/100 to 1/160, apertures from f2.0 to f2.8, and ISO values from 400 to 800, so yeah, I think 1/160, f2.8 and auto-ISO should work ... unless this is a Nine Inch Nails concert (cuz their light rig is pretty nuts. On the plus side, they let fans shoot with DSLRs.)

Oh, and you don't necessarily have to cap the ISO at 1600, it's just that you can generally get better results boosting higher than that in post rather than in camera.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:26 am 

Great shots with the G15 kimberly!!!
There is only one small thing that i would like to point out that. It's the framing. You cut off the feet on every shot and left too much room over their heads. There are pictures that work that way like the second one (close up of Jagger singing) and the 2 pictures with Richards in the front with his yellow guitar jagger in the back. Look at Maestro's photos, I think it's even great that you can see the silhouettes of the crowd and the monitors. Maybe it's not as big a deal as I'm making it out to be. But it's just a thorn in my eye, because I do the same damn thing over and over again... It really annoys me to no end in my own pictures :D

Have fun at the concert!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:29 pm 

Maestro wrote:
Well geez, since you took those pics, you hardly need advice from me. Nice shots! But while I was browsing, I checked the EXIF data on a few of the pics and saw shutter speeds ranging from 1/100 to 1/160, apertures from f2.0 to f2.8, and ISO values from 400 to 800, so yeah, I think 1/160, f2.8 and auto-ISO should work ... unless this is a Nine Inch Nails concert (cuz their light rig is pretty nuts. On the plus side, they let fans shoot with DSLRs.)

Oh, and you don't necessarily have to cap the ISO at 1600, it's just that you can generally get better results boosting higher than that in post rather than in camera.

Mark

Thanks! I try with the G15, sometimes it's not quick enough and i get blur, but it's been a good one to learn on.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:33 pm 

Woor wrote:
Great shots with the G15 kimberly!!!
There is only one small thing that i would like to point out that. It's the framing. You cut off the feet on every shot and left too much room over their heads. There are pictures that work that way like the second one (close up of Jagger singing) and the 2 pictures with Richards in the front with his yellow guitar jagger in the back. Look at Maestro's photos, I think it's even great that you can see the silhouettes of the crowd and the monitors. Maybe it's not as big a deal as I'm making it out to be. But it's just a thorn in my eye, because I do the same damn thing over and over again... It really annoys me to no end in my own pictures :D

Have fun at the concert!

Thanks! At this show, I was purposely trying to grab some of the screen behind them, so went with more space up top. Plus, being 2 rows back, and being short, I held the camera up, but cut feet off because heads were in the way too. But I'll remember that next time. Musicians have feet, haha.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:17 pm 

good work everyone. Would love to take photos at a concert.

I find the camera in manual with auto iso, really useful. Chasing birds and other wildlife under tree canopy measn varying light. I am happy to let it get up to iso3200 on the 7D . With LR4 and shooting raw, you can get pretty good pictures at that. A bit of noise is better than motion blur.
Would love to try a concert with the 6D, iso 25600 is better than iso 3200 on the 7D.

One question though, how to you allow for the lights in background as they are constantly changing ? They must really mess with the exposure and keep the main subjects too dark or the opposite , I gather you cannot use a flash.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:29 am 

Kimberly14 wrote:
Thanks! I try with the G15, sometimes it's not quick enough and i get blur, but it's been a good one to learn on.

Yup, you did great with what you had at the time. And a 1/160 shutter should eliminate motion blur for most concert type shots.

Quote:
Plus, being 2 rows back, and being short, I held the camera up, but cut feet off because heads were in the way too.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem for this gig since you'll be shooting from the pit, but for future reference, the way I work around that, as I said in my previously linked post -- "P.S. a vari-angle (tilt/swivel) LCD can be very helpful when shooting over the heads/arms/hands of a cheering crowd."

maxjj wrote:
how to you allow for the lights in background as they are constantly changing ? They must really mess with the exposure and keep the main subjects too dark or the opposite

It helps to have experience using/interpreting your meter/histogram in similar conditions. It also helps to have as much dynamic range as possible, which is why I would limit the ISO to 1600. (Obviously, the higher the ISO is, the less dynamic range there is.) And sometimes you just have to choose what you want to expose for and live with the consequences (which is why, ideally, one would shoot full manual--so the camera wouldn't "guess wrong" at what you want). e.g. in the pics I posted with lights in them, at least one, if not more, of the lights is blown out. But in the third pic particularly, there's no way around that. i.e. if I (or the camera's auto-ISO function) would've exposed so the light didn't clip, the face would've been lost in shadow.

And thanks! - Mark

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:12 am 

One other question - should I be doing anything with the af point system?
Just leave it?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:08 am 

I like to have the middle focus point selected for low light (cross type sensor, more sensitive), focus on subject, reframe, take picture.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:01 am 

I do the same as Woor: center AF point only, half press shutter button to focus on subject, then reframe and fully press shutter. After you do it for a while, it becomes second nature. (Note: none of the pics I posted is focused on whatever is in the center of the frame.) Although, if you're worried about it, you could just take the shot with the subject in the center and crop to a more interesting framing in post. You'll obviously lose resolution this way, but as long as you're not planing to make any large prints, you should be OK.

Mark