Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:54 pm 

Hi,
I'm after a little help, I have always enjoyed photography but have always had a “ point and click “ camera. I am now looking to upgrade, my budget is between £500-£1000 but this could be stretch a little if needed. I want a camera that will last me a good few year and something I can grow with.
I was looking at the Nikon D7000 or even the D7100. After reading a few reviews they both seem to be a good pick. Is it worth paying the extra for the D7100, I hear that the Nikon D5200 can give just as good picture quality.
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Rick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:08 pm 

These days, I don't think there is such a thing as a bad DSLR in terms of IQ. Particularly with crop-sensor cameras, the difference in IQ is generally marginal.

I'm not suggesting you should save your money and go for the D5200 and spend the savings on better lenses or accessories but I would suggest considering whether or not you're likely to benefit from the features present in the D7100 but absent in the D5200. For example, the D7100's AF suits it better for action photography but for still life, architecture or landscapes, etc, the AF doesn't help it greatly. In cases where you're shooting at awkward angles, the D5200's articulated screen can put it at a distinct advantage over the D7100.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:31 pm 

Thank you for getting back to me, I appreciate it and the advice. Rick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:30 pm 

Picture quality is very good on all cameras you mentioned. You would really have to be a pixel peeping maniac to spot differences in real life photos.
As Rorschah mentioned, the advantage of the 5200 is the articulated screen. The 7x00 have faster shooting and better manual controls.

I would go for 5200 or even 5100 if i was new to dslrs, just learning how the different settings affect pictures (they have good guide modes) and didnt need full manual control. And for the d7000 if i wanted to shoot more action and just play around in manual more.
Spend more on lenses since you will be using them even after your cameras are "outdated" in a generation or two. It really makes no sense to spend too much money on the body.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:36 pm 

to be honest, its not the body you should be concerned about
the lens is a more important issue
i only started photography last year and started with a basic 1100d canon with 2 basic lens (18-55 & 70-300)
i now use 2 seperate camera bodies, and have purchased another 3 lens as i felt i outgrew the basic lens very quick
and have spent in the region of £300-£400 on accessories like batteries, SD cards, bags, tripods, monopods, flash, remotes

so i would sugest a decent mid range body, a good lens and accesories
but look at the costs of extra lens and accessories before buying the camera body (the reason i went for canon)

best budget lens is the nifty 50 (50mm f1.8) cheap light and ideal in a lot of situations

if you get into photography, you will end up needing deep pockets and plenty of time of to go take photos