Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:44 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:53 am 

Hi All,
I m not a professional photographer, but I love to click photos. I have been using my Lumix point and shoot from past 3 years. Now I want to change it and willing to upgrade it. I have been reading lot of posts on internet and somewhat confused about, what should be better for me.
I would have love to take DSLR, but only reason which is pushing me back is its bulkyness and weight.
My preferences will be --
- I love to travel and really walk for long sometimes. I will go for non-dslr's if I can get same image quality in them.
- My photography will not be in sports/actions or it doesn't require very fast capturing.
- I would definitely like to have some control on fuctions and can play and experiment with them.
- Much of time, I will be clicking landscpaes, family, gathering, mountains, desearts, so it means a bit of everything.
- Occassionally will shoot video also and expect it to be good.
- I may not go beyond 750$.

MILC and M43 are impressing me. Currently I was looking at following cameras -

- Panasonic G6 is not available os of now. Do we know, when it is goign to be for sale ?
I can see on Amazon, Panasonic DMC-G5KK is there. Are there major difference between G5 and G6, if I can go with first one ? G5 is more than 200$ lower than G6. Is is worth this $$ difference ?
- Olympus EPL-5 - I couldn't found this in stores. Need to check out more stores to see it physically.
- Canon EOS M - Was reading about it and few blogs say that it is having auto-focus problem. Is it true ? Also, it is old.
Sony Alpha SLT-A57 - This seems to be bulky. More than Canon SL1 (which is DSLR).
Pentax - These camera are having very good reviews, not sure which model I should pick to compare. May be K-30 or K-50. Pentax are not available in stores (I tried Best Buy, but they do not keep Panasonic and Pentax). So not sure about their looks and weight.

I am new to this field and so many reviews posts confused me. I would really appreciate if experts can suggest me what would be better according to my preferences. Hope I am clear in, what I expect.
Once I get some suggestions for few cameras, I will narrow down my list and read more on them.
Regards
Abhishek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:59 am 

So you decided to continue the discussion here instead of the other forum (with Bob)? ;-)

First off, once you decide to go to an interchangeable lens system, it's more about the len(es) than the camera body. That said, it seems to me that a wide-ish (around 35mm full frame equiv.) fast/bright (around f2.0) prime should be OK for most shots of "landscpaes, family, gathering, mountains, desearts". You could even use a typical kit zoom (say 20-50mm) for everything except indoor/night candids.

Moving on to the specific cameras/questions you listed:

Quote:
- Panasonic G6 is not available os of now. Do we know, when it is goign to be for sale ?

It actually was for sale for a while, but there seems to be a delay with the second shipment. So I don't think anyone outside of Panasonic knows for sure, but it should be soon. I'd guess within a month.

Quote:
Are there major difference between G5 and G6

Depends on how you define "major". The major addition to me is WiFi, especially combined with Panasonic's app and a tablet (and "focus peaking" for video). Other than that, the G6 is basically a G5 with a firmware update which enables more features/shooting modes. But since you say "Occassionally will shoot video also and expect it to be good", the G6 would seem to be worth the extra cost. (Note: one of the new features is 24p, and the G6 also has an external mic jack.)

Personally, the only reason I haven't upgraded is because the G6 uses the same sensor as my GH2, except it no longer has multi-aspect mode.

Quote:
- Olympus EPL-5 - I couldn't found this in stores. Need to check out more stores to see it physically.

It's significantly smaller than the G5/6 and/or GH2. (As noted above, I own a GH2 and I also own an E-PL5.) And the E-PL5's still (photo) image quality is at least equal, if not a little better than the Panasonic cameras. But be sure to factor in lens size. i.e. with a large lens, the E-PL5 will lose a lot of the size advantage. (And although it makes a very attractive package size-wise with a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 "pancake" lens, be aware that this particular combo exhibits banding at high ISO settings.)

Personally, if I'm only going to be shooting stills, not video, I'll leave the GH2 at home and take the E-PL5.

Quote:
Canon EOS M - Was reading about it and few blogs say that it is having auto-focus problem. Is it true ?

It was true, but Canon fixed it with a firmware update. (see this youtube video.) But yes, it is "old", and the rumor is that there will be a replacement announced later this year.

Quote:
Sony Alpha SLT-A57 - This seems to be bulky.

Yes, because the Alpha SLT line is not mirrorless. For (smaller) mirrorless bodies, have a look at Sony's NEX line.

Quote:
Pentax - These camera are having very good reviews, not sure which model I should pick to compare. May be K-30 or K-50.

Similar to the Sony SLTs, the Pentax K series are not mirrorless (except the K-01). Pentax Q series are mirrorless.

HTH - Mark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:10 pm 

Mark, I was not getting specific answer there, so was trying to get help here :-)
EOS-M, being old is cheaper or performance wise is lacking in comparison to other cameras ? (Specially when my budget limit is upto 700$)
I read that Pentax are light weight than other models, should I consider any of their also ? I wanted to see it, but it is not in stores. Best Buy stores do not keep, not panasonic also.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:33 pm 

So, I am near to my decision now :-)

I am just back from a camera store and checked various cameras there (from the suggestions from you people :-) ). I have narrowed down my choices to following camera.

- Panasonic G5 with 14-42mm lens is 470$. G6 looks little better but 290$ expensive then this one.
- Sony NEX-3NL/B - 500$
- Olympus E-PL5 with 14-42mm lens is 500$
- Pentax Q series. They didn't had any of Q series camera, so didn't got chance to see that.

When I asked about EOS-M, store representative said that others choosen cameras are better then EOS-M in concern of support, looks and performance.

What do you suggest in these ?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:07 am 

Well, again, a lot depends on what (other) lens(es) you plan to get, especially with the NEX-3N. But a few comments:

Since you said "bulkyness" was a concern, the NEX-3N and E-PL5 are essentially the same size, while, as noted previously, the G5 is larger.

However, note that the Oly 14-42mm lens is fixed length, while Pany makes a collapsible model. So the smallest package would be the E-PL5 with a Pany 14-42mm. Of course, buying the body and lens separately would most likely cost more.

Sony also makes a collapsible zoom which, when mounted on an NEX-3N, would be around the same size as the Oly/Pany combo. One possible drawback is that there are fewer native NEX lenses than there are micro 4/3 lenses, which gets back to why lenses are generally a bigger factor than camera bodies.

And getting back to the EOS M:

Quote:
others choosen cameras are better then EOS-M in concern of support, looks and performance.

while looks are subjective, I don't think Canon would be appreciably worse in terms of support and/or performance.

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:03 am 

Mark, I found Panasonic G5 and Olympus E-PL5 are within my budget and weight limit. Same should be ok for Canon EOS M also.
Panasonic G5 and Olympus E-PL5 are already in my choice. If I compare Canon EOS M with G5, who should stand first in regards to image sharpness, features and performance ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:49 am 

Quote:
If I compare Canon EOS M with G5, who should stand first in regards to image sharpness, features and performance ?

Well, again, a lot depends on which lens(es) you plan to get with the Canon. (I might suggest the 22mm f2.0 "pancake".) But for what you plan to shoot, I think either will do fine. One thing I would note is that the screen on the EOS M is fixed and there's no add-on viewfinder option, so glare could be an issue in certain conditions. (e.g. afternoon sun behind you.) If you want to compare details further, Camera Labs has very thorough reviews of all three cameras.

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:22 pm 

I got a very good deal from Samy for Panasonic G5 + 14-42mm + 45-140mm + 16gb sd card. Finally I am happy. Thanks to all for helping me in finalising my camera.

Need last recommendation, being newbie and my first complicated camera, is there any book (or video) specifically for G5, which can help me to learn on this? As of now I am ok with auto, but would definitely like to play to get maximum of it. As of now, I am just new to this. Still think where to use 14-42mm and where to use 45-140mm :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:27 am 

Congrats on your purchase. Unfortunately, I don't know of anything written specifically for the G5. But for general photography tips, there's Camera Labs' companion site: http://www.dslrtips.com

Mark