Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:40 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:06 am 

Little late in my response but here it goes...

I have written on this in the past and Im actually in the process of writing a second, more in-depth, article for a German magazine on wildlife photographers staging, manipulating or outright falsifying shots.

I have seen this guys site before and they are amazing shots but if you look at his entire site, in my opinion, he is either the luckiest wildlife photographer out there or he is staging his shots. And if he is that lucky his work would be getting picked up by some of the top magazines out there which it isnt.

Staging shots is becoming a more and more frequent thing in wildlife photography. It sucks for sure but most people I know who do it also state the fact that it was staged. What I have seen more of late, especially for those photographers just breaking into the business, is people looking to buy these pics from up and coming photographers, are asking for images to be geo-tagged to varify the location of the shot taken. This works in some cases but we all know that geo-tagged info can also be manipulated. With wildlife pics becoming more and more in demand in some places in the world this is the unfortunate reality these days however. Wildlife in general is declining and the demand to meet deadlines as well as the prices offered for specific shots of rare species or behavior will only increase these types of staged shots.

Everyone remember the guy a few years ago who won that prestigeous wildlife award for the shot of the wolf jumping over the fence in the middle of the night which was later discovered to be a complete fraud? If things keep going the way things are we will only see more and more of that....

Another question to consider when talking about staging or falsifying pics is at what level are you mis-representing your work? A quick example of this would be if I were to take a pic of fox den with babies along the riverbank which runs through the heart of a town with a population of 200,000 people where the fox is obviously used to human traffic and interaction with humans to the point of it being fed by some individuals and I post that as a wildlife shot is it really a wildlife shot?

I have mentioned in the past that I break wildlife down into 3 groups, zoos, urban, and wildlife. Some may be shocked but I also include wildlife shots taken in large national parks such as Banf or Jasper under urban wildlife as well seeing these animals at times see more human traffic than urban wildlife does in smaller communities. This however is just my breakdown and how I explain my shots when selling them as actual wildlife shots so people understand exactly what they are getting and that they are getting a true wildlife shot. We all have different ideas however when it comes to this and our definition of "wildlife".

This is a huge topic with many levels to it so when I complete the article Ill post a draft, pictureless, version of it here... hopefully some will find it interesting.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:32 am 

I left a comment on the picture, its gone now. I just asked how he got the shot, if he was in a hide and how the mouse happened to be there?

Some animals though don`t seem to care, take Possums, they live as happily in the wild as they do in trees in the back yard. I recently got a shot of one during the day.
Like many birds they live in the back yard and in the wild and don`t seem to behave any different. But never the less I think its important to be honest about where and how you get the shot.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:30 am 

A new picture I wanted to share. I have this picture with and without the tree. What do you guys think is better? I thought the tree added something to the otherwise really empty picture.

MTK - Wildlife by mt.koopmans, on Flickr

And a second one of two wild Eurasian Eagle-Owl chicks.
MTK - Wildlife by mt.koopmans, on Flickr

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtkoopmans/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:51 pm 

Ah, finally: The Berlin Zoo provided me with an opportunity to post here.
It's not wildlife, but at least I was able to capture it without a fence:

Vulture 68970 by Thomas, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:05 am 

very nice you 2

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:12 pm 

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:21 pm 

A few more looks at the great horned owls - this time the owlets:

Red-shouldered hawk on the lookout for prey:

Sequence of a hawk terrorizing a red-winged blackbird nest, while the red-winged blackbird male tries attacking the hawk too:

This excites noone except me - but realize I've only ever seen or photographed these twice before, and at roughly the same distance - it's a bald eagle and quite rare to see in my area:

Red-shouldered hawk taking off:

Red-shouldered hawk being tailed and hounded by red-winged blackbirds:

Osprey cruising for a fish, but distracted by the guy with the big white lens pointing at him:

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:02 am 

Very cool that you have found an owl nest. Any tips on how to find one? :P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:26 pm 

I think the folks up north in the US and in UK have an easier go of it with owls - for down here in Florida, they have far too many places to hide deep in the brush and forest. In my 8-10 years of birding down here, I've only gotten to see them twice - this past winter being one of the two times. They were off the side of a road, and quite far back in the trees, across a canal and a swampy bog, so they were pretty inaccessible. All you could do was park 1/4 mile away, walk down the side of the road, then use a long lens and some cropping to observe them from the roadside. Fortunately, their nest was mostly visible from the road, so we even got a look at the baby owls this time. The great horned owls seem to nest in the same general forest area every year, but they pick a different tree or spot, and you never know where they'll be - sometimes they're deep in the forest and not visible, other times we get lucky and they're within reach.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:43 pm 

Am afraid the same goes for the Netherlands then. We have a couple of areas that you are not allowed to wander into and I have the feeling that's precisely where the birds all have their nests. Ah well, maybe I will get lucky one of these days. Thanks for sharing!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7