Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Back Again!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:23 pm 

Hi everybody,

Long time no see :D I took a break from the forum due to a lack of time over the last 6 months. I have continued with my photography as a business which has been going very well. I know find myself with a lot of events, mainly portrait, and have even done some videos for some professional rugby teams. However I rarely found myself taking photographs for fun, due to a lack of motivation and time. Does anyone have any tips or motivation to offer to help me get back into photography as a hobby?

I haven't bought any of the kit I had hoped to but may well do if I can get motivated. I was thinking about purchasing a Canon 6D and a 70-200mm zoom (I'm undecided between the Sigma, Canon f4 IS and Canon f2.8 IS II).

So just a quick update and I hope to stay with the forum and get motivated again!

James

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject: Re: Back Again!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:24 pm 

Welcome back James! Good to hear your commercial photography is going well. If you need motivation for your personal work, consider getting one of Elliott Erwitt's books. It's both very inspiring photography, and all of it was shot as personal work, besides Erwitt's career as a commercial photographer. If you see all of the amazing shots he's taken 'off duty', I'm sure you'll be more motivated to go out and snap some yourself.

Also - and I'm writing this without experience so I do not know if it really works - have you considered getting a small(er) camera for your personal work? A lot of pro's use large DSLRs for their commercial work, and when out and about for themselves they'll opt for something smaller and lighter. I can imagine that having to use your work camera for personal photography isn't ideal, as you're constantly reminded of work and you might take similar pictures. Nowadays I do not do any commercial photography anymore, but back when I first got my Leica, I actually borrowed a friend's camera (DSLR) to do a commercial job, simply because I didn't want to use the Leica for it.

- Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:13 pm 

Hi Bjorn! Elliot Ewitt's work looks very good. Street photography has always interested me and it's a shame there isn't one on London but I think I'll go for the New York book. It could be the perfect way to get back into photography as a hobby. I am also going to try the Monthly Assignments again and hopefully the wide range of subjects will be of interest.

I think you are right about the DSLR situation. It can be a pain to carry a large camera round with you all day and is one of the reasons I am reluctant to take it with me. If I become inspired again I may not mind but if not I could consider a smaller camera like you said. Some of the new mirrorless and micro four thirds cameras are starting to look very appealing so could be an option in the future :D

James

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:16 pm 

Welcome back! It's nice to have you back :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:56 am 

The New York book is excellent, my favorite from his city books. If you're interested in street photography from London, consider this title. It combines the works of many different photographers, so you'll like some images more than others, but it's an interesting documentation of part of the rich history of the city.
The good thing, IMO, about street photography is that you can do it while running errands, for example. If you don't feel inspired or motivated to take pictures, you don't need to go out to take them, you just have a camera with you in case you come across an interesting scene. Learn to spot those and you'll be clicking away while getting groceries. :wink:

Keep us posted on how you get back into personal photography!

- Bjorn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:07 am 

Thanks Bjorn! I'll definitely get the New York book since I like the look of his work and I'm hoping to go to New York pretty soon so should give me some inspiration. I'll also purchase the London Street Photography Book. I don't live in the centre of London and getting there involves a 30 minute train ride. As a result I don't go there very often but I'm hoping to go at least once a month. The town where I live is generally quite boring but I'll give it a go and try get some practice in :D

I am really quite inspired by your work Bjorn. I love your style of photography and would like to start shooting more black and white images. Just out of interest do you shoot straight from the camera in black and white or in colour and then Photoshop the images? I'm guessing you shoot in RAW as well. I think I will make it my aim to create a London set of photographs and maybe get them printed in a photo album. I want to focus on quality so it may take many trips to the same location to get the perfect shot. I'll try to post any good ones I take on here to try get some feedback and suggested improvements.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:46 pm 

Compliments like that brighten my day, thank you James! I take my images in RAW, and process them in Adobe Camera Raw in about 1-2 minutes, sometimes even less. I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to processing, but the little extra control you get with RAW is great. Plus, I have never liked processing Jpegs (ito contrast and such), it's just not intuitive.

Doing a book on London should be really cool, and a good exercise in editing (selecting) your images! If you can go on a multi-day trip some time it shouldn't take too long to get enough pictures for a book (depending on how thick a book you want of course), but you will certainly want to focus on quality, as you wrote. I did a book on Paris earlier this year and, while I still like it, there are a couple of images I regret including. I look forward to your threads here on CL requesting image feedback, feel free to remind me they're up if I seem to be absent.

Your remark about your town being generally boring is quite interesting. I feel the same way about my town, and living close to Rotterdam I would much rather travel to the big city to take pictures. But whenever I'm travelling and visit small towns, there's always something happening that's interesting enough to photograph. I think it's the familiarity you have with your own town that makes it seem uninteresting. Nothing is new, everything is predictable, nothing in particular will draw your interest. I'll see if I can force myself to push aside that familiarity and document my hometown, that should be an interesting challenge.

- Bjorn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:21 pm 

Haha you are very welcome Bjorn! That's good to know I guessed you would use RAW but have never actually tried Adobe Camera Raw, I'll take a look into it. I, like you, generally prefer to edit photos quickly as I can't really be bothered to spend so much time on one photo. I tend to use Lightroom for my edits which works well but is quite time consuming.

Yes I hope to do some day visits over the course of a few months of all the main areas of London. The photo album doesn't have to be massive but just something to give myself a sense of achievement at the end of it with hopefully some good images in it :D

I like the challenge you have set yourself. Your right the familiarity of my town is probably why I find it boring. I may have to take up the same challenge and try to find the interesting in the boring!

Thanks for all your help Bjorn

James