Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:53 pm 

Now we have to wait till the end of August for Canon to release the 70D and even longer for Gordon to make his review, though we know he will compare the 70D to the Nikon D7100, the Canon 60D and the Canon 7D.

I am hoping the 70D outperforms the D7100 in terms of noise, contrast and color,(which Canon usually does against Nikon), maybe for noise the noise difference will be small, so long as the images are sharp(that also depends on the lens used of course) with good pixel detail maintaining the color and contrast I am good!

based on a 7d D7100 comparison, with the 7D outperforming the D7100 in all but noise peformance, I think the 70D which is almost as good if not better than the 7D in terms of AF, noise, will be better than the D7100.

What I like about the 70D is that its just as good as the 7D only its smaller with a better sensor (that remains to be seen) and a faster processor, I am hoping the 70d has a cpu dedicated to AF.

The 70D is the DSLR I am like to buy for my first.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:33 pm 

LORD Edon wrote:
I am hoping the 70d has a cpu dedicated to AF.

I find that highly unlikely to happen because, in the Canon lineup, the only camera with a dedicated processor for AF and metering system is the 1DX, not even the 5D MK III has that. Also IMO it would be a waste of resources to have a dedicated processor for just 19 AF points (the 1DX has 61) and also the metering system is simpler than the 1DX's. Also consider it's not a high end camera, it's more like an upgraded budget camera.

LORD Edon wrote:
I am hoping the 70D outperforms the D7100 in terms of noise, contrast and color,(which Canon usually does against Nikon

I wouldn't be too sure about that, the contrast and color that Canon has on their JPEGs is because of in-camera processing, not having anything to do with the sensor. Take a RAW file from a Nikon and a similar Canon, process them equally yourself and you'll see that contrast and color are practically the same. Also, noise performance is not one of Canon's strengths always, I've seen many Nikons outperform their respective Canon equivalent, so that's something I wouldn't just assume.

LORD Edon wrote:

Didn't you just buy a 650D or 600D? :|

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:11 pm 

pierovera wrote:
LORD Edon wrote:
I am hoping the 70D outperforms the D7100 in terms of noise, contrast and color,(which Canon usually does against Nikon

I wouldn't be too sure about that, the contrast and color that Canon has on their JPEGs is because of in-camera processing, not having anything to do with the sensor. Take a RAW file from a Nikon and a similar Canon, process them equally yourself and you'll see that contrast and color are practically the same. Also, noise performance is not one of Canon's strengths always, I've seen many Nikons outperform their respective Canon equivalent, so that's something I wouldn't just assume.:|

We will see when the Canon 70D is released and proper comparisons are made, many thought the 70D will be just another 60D, that was proven wrong!!

pierovera wrote:
LORD Edon wrote:

Didn't you just buy a 650D or 600D? :|

I did not say the 600D, I said the 650D, then the 700D or the 7D as I was not sure which camera to buy mostly because of size and weight, after seeing the rumors months ago about the 70D being almost as good as the 7D, I decided to wait and hope that the 70D is what I wanted.
The 70D is what I want in a DSLR as a beginner, its has 7D like AF, 20MP, 7fps 1/8000 -30secs shutter speed, the body is also small and light like the 60D, even if not as light as the 700D.

Canon has a great selection of quality lenses too and the Canon brand is most used by photographers in my country. I dont want to go into why I chose this over Nikon, so I wont entertain any debate!

dubaiphil showed me just how important lenses are, and I chose nothing less than quality lenses, I wont buy any cheap lens, I know the theory of aperture and how it affects light and DOF(Depth of Field) focal range on how it works on crop frame and full frame, how the focal length affect DOF, I knwo vignetting, flare etc.

The only thing I need now is to get a camera and find out how all I know applies in real life.

For me its either I buy the camera and first lens I want or nothing!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:51 pm 

LORD Edon wrote:
I am hoping the 70D outperforms the D7100 in terms of noise, contrast and color,(which Canon usually does against Nikon), maybe for noise the noise difference will be small, so long as the images are sharp(that also depends on the lens used of course) with good pixel detail maintaining the color and contrast I am good!

Jeez, why does the Top Trumps shootout matter so much to you?

I seriously doubt the 70D is going to be a step back from its successor but even so, the 70D should be looked at by its own merits.

Not that I've set a perfect example but I'm almost certainly going to upgrade to the 70D and how it compares to the Nikon D7100 didn't even cross my mind until making this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:16 pm 

LORD Edon wrote:
I did not say the 600D, I said the 650D, then the 700D or the 7D as I was not sure which camera to buy mostly because of size and weight, after seeing the rumors months ago about the 70D being almost as good as the 7D, I decided to wait and hope that the 70D is what I wanted.

650D, 600D, doesn't really matter because that's not the point. What I was going to tell you, but first I had to confirm it, why do you need a new camera so badly? Spending money on a good lens, especially given that you say, and I quote, "I chose nothing less than quality lenses, I won't buy any cheap lens", so I would not spend money on a new camera that quickly before even buying a nice set of lenses. Sorry, but from where I see it, that's just consumerism.

And the 650D isn't a bad camera, if you buy some nice L lens (because you won't buy cheap lenses), you'll get higher quality photos while spending the same money that you'd spend on a 70D.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:11 pm 

I am unclear, do the dual pixels reside over the entire surface of the imager and they have only activated the central mass?, or have they fabricated an imager with dual pixels in the center, and standard sized pixels on the periphery?

If it is the former, why have they not allowed access to the periphery? However, if it is the latter, we might be able to see a discontinuity in image quality for some images depending on scene and processing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:40 pm 

capital wrote:
I am unclear, do the dual pixels reside over the entire surface of the imager and they have only activated the central mass?, or have they fabricated an imager with dual pixels in the center, and standard sized pixels on the periphery?

If it is the former, why have they not allowed access to the periphery? However, if it is the latter, we might be able to see a discontinuity in image quality for some images depending on scene and processing.

Apparently the Dual Pixel AF zone covers 80% of the height and width of the sensor but image quality isn't compromised. It would be an unspeakable failure if the 70D had been released for you to find a notable disparity in image quality inside and outside of the Dual Pixel AF zone and I couldn't realistically imagine Canon not having considered that in the design stage.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:45 am 

Apparently the Dual Pixel AF zone covers 80% of the height and width of the sensor but image quality isn't compromised. It would be an unspeakable failure if the 70D had been released for you to find a notable disparity in image quality inside and outside of the Dual Pixel AF zone and I couldn't realistically imagine Canon not having considered that in the design stage.[/quote]

Seeing as it's 40.2 million sub pixels it must be every pixel that is split into two. Canon are limiting the area that u can chose to focus but i read somewhere it's due to the focus not working as well in the outer areas of the sensor

Also on the dual pixel AF seems to work with non canon lenses. I saw a youtube video of a pre production sample with a Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 lens attached and the live view focus work really well even set to F1.8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:38 am 

Cutter wrote:
Canon are limiting the area that u can chose to focus but i read somewhere it's due to the focus not working as well in the outer areas of the sensor

That has always been the case. AF points tend to be distributed around the centre of the sensor because it keeps the size of the body down. To cover a larger area of the sensor would require more relay optics and invariably call for a larger body.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:52 pm 

Hi Cutter, where did you read it is 40.2 MPixels?

Hi Rorschach, If there actually are sub pixels for each site and given what imaging resource state that this new sensor technology allows auto focus down to F/11:

Quote:
Put a Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 zoom on a 2x teleconverter, and there's no chance it'll AF on a normal SLR body, but the 70D will have no problem so long as you're shooting in live view mode.

then because of this, It is not clear that limiting the new AF to 80% of picture height and width is a real or artificial constraint, as Cosine 4th light fall off towards the edges will be lens brightness limited, not sensor limited, thus faster glass should be able to exploit the entire image surface to acquire AF lock. If this is true, then Canon are holding back for Gen II to expand AF for faster glass on the next camera via firmware.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:39 pm 

I didn't specify that it was an artificial or natural constraint - I'm don't know the answer to that. I was referring to the phase detection points and how you would need a larger body for greater coverage of the sensor.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:21 pm 

Rorschach wrote:
I didn't specify that it was an artificial or natural constraint - I'm don't know the answer to that. I was referring to the phase detection points and how you would need a larger body for greater coverage of the sensor.

Ah, I thought your prior comment was aimed at on image sensor based phase detect, I guess you meant traditional phase detect via mirror.

*if* it turns out the whole imager array is composed of sub pixels then would interesting if someone like magic lantern can access them or Canon sees fit to enable them in the future a la AF @ F/8 on the 5DM3, or increase buffer depth on the 7D.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:39 pm 

pierovera wrote:
LORD Edon wrote:

650D, 600D, doesn't really matter because that's not the point. What I was going to tell you, but first I had to confirm it, why do you need a new camera so badly? Spending money on a good lens, especially given that you say, and I quote, "I chose nothing less than quality lenses, I won't buy any cheap lens", so I would not spend money on a new camera that quickly before even buying a nice set of lenses. Sorry, but from where I see it, that's just consumerism.

And the 650D isn't a bad camera, if you buy some nice L lens (because you won't buy cheap lenses), you'll get higher quality photos while spending the same money that you'd spend on a 70D.

"Sorry, but from where I see it, that's just consumerism." YOU ARE RIGHT, that is From where you see it as its your opinion, and you are WRONG!! I wont debate this either because that's a statement about me I dont debate what my reasons are, I tell you!!

Why I buy nothing less than the best I can afford, because its my experience that cheap products that re not rpoven to be of great quality break and damage easily and a literal wast of my money, that's from my personal experience, when I buy quality products of reasonable prices they almost always LAST LONG for me!!!!

"And the 650D isn't a bad camera, if you buy some nice L lens (because you won't buy cheap lenses), you'll get higher quality photos while spending the same money that you'd spend on a 70D."
I don't take your word for it! The 70D is not even released yet, and test have not been made, in fact I will not trust the word of anybody who does not own the 70D and other Cameras to compare!!

I chose the 70D over the 700D for one simple reason, features I need for what I want to take pictures of, I would rather spend more on the 70D and thank myself in the long term, than buy a 700D and regret it later and pay even more for a better camera later on!!

For me it would be a waste of money to buy the 700D, as to buy a new camera after the 700D will be a WASTE OF MONEY for me!!

"so I would not spend money on a new camera that quickly before even buying a nice set of lenses."
And what can I do with lenses and NO CAMERA? You assume I have a Camera when I implied I hav none with my topic "My First DSLR"!

"why do you need a new camera so badly?" The above answers that!

Even if I already hav a DSLR I will buy a new one cus its my money!

Last edited by LORD Edon on Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:41 pm 

Rorschach wrote:
I seriously doubt the 70D is going to be a step back from its successor but even so, the 70D should be looked at by its own merits.

You look at it how YOU WANT!

I look at it how I want!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:31 am 

I look forward to the release of the Canon 70D and Gordon's comparison to the Nikon D7100

Behold the awesome fast AF of the 70D http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/07/cano ... rformance/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next