Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:32 pm 

Hi,

I have decided to focus on documentary photography.

The thing is my current equipment (Nikon) is far from inconspicious; not that some people seem to mind, notice or care depending of course on who your subject is.

The D700 certainly is not small, and fitted with the Nikkor 14-24 f2.8 heavy as well as noticable.

Perhaps it doesn`t matter if I use the lens; Nikon in their own words say "it’s an ideal lens for both photojournalism and general photographic needs" but this means sticking with the D700.

Financially it would mean some degree of loss changing over to other equipment, the camera and lens alone stand me just under $5`000 but add on the remote release at $179 it goes over the $5k.

A photographer I know is using a Fujifilm XE-1, as well as two 1970`s era 35mm film cameras. Most of his lenses are 50mm or less, well suited, less conspicious.

So a bit of a conundrum, and if anyone else has faced a situation such as this, I would definetly like to hear your view.

Pherhaps it would be a better option of purchasing an XE-1 or similar size camera.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:22 am 

I too was shooting a DSLR when I got into street photography, and felt it was too present in the scene, it interfered too much. As you may know already, I have switched to a Leica system, and I could not be happier with it. It is quite an investment though, certainly much more than a Fuji XE-1. Both cameras should help you go unnoticed, so if you're not ready to spend as much as you'd need to on a Leica, I think the Fuji will do just fine. Certainly better than a big D700.

- Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:33 am 

Bjorn,

No I was not aware of you changing over to this brand, until I read the link you sent. That was quite a feat on your part to aim for, and eventually own this camera, I enjoyed reading the first part of this article by Gordon very much, I am glad you fulfiled your dream. Hopefully I will get some peace and quiet, more importantly time to read the whole thing properly.

I have been looking at used Leica cameras, as well as the Leica site, apart from it being known as an expensive brand, I barely know much else.

Outside of the Leica camera, lenses are another thing I know little about. I see you have a 50mm lens as part of your equipment. I assume this was your choice for street photography to?

I am undecided on the cost, I have saw a used example for just under $6`900 AU but this is body only.

I have read some people use Leica 35mm for street, for their personal work. This may be an option, certainly a lot cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:01 pm 

I primarily shoot street and I moved from a DSLR to m/43 and haven't missed my DSLR for a second.

I personally think the 2 best systems for this genre are Olympus/Panasonic's m4/3 and Fuji's X system. The Leica is in a different league financially, and offers a significantly different shooting experience.

Both have their pros and cons, but with the balance of price, performance, size, weight, and lens choice/quality, I'd go for m4/3. The Fuji is quite a bit bigger - especially as a system.

Everything in my signature (4 lenses, G3 body & 2 spare batteries) fits in a Lowepro Streamline 100. I couldn't even fit my DSLR body into that.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:40 pm 

If I am going to go to the effort of changing all my equipment, I will be aiming to purchase a Leica camera, I really think this is the way forward for me.