Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Whitby
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:18 pm 

Piers, Abbey, spray.

Whitby spray by warth man, on Flickr

Post subject: Re: Whitby
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:40 pm 

Nice shot, though I think because of the lack of color, maybe a B&W conversion would look nicer, but that's just my opinion. Good one anyways :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:33 pm 

Yep i tend to agree.
i think conversion to B&W may help with the haze and also i would crop out about 50% of the sky making the image more of a panoramic and centralise the pier/abbey - but thats my styling.

lot of memories of whitby in that shot. :D

Got some of the gear but really still no idea...:)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:19 pm 

Thanks for the comments Piero, Robbon. Much appreciated. Here's another version along the lines you suggest. I liked the first because there are elements of it that remind me of a painting I bought my wife.

Whitby Spray 2 by warth man, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:34 pm 

Good effort. What package do you use for post processing? If any..

The original photo was nice. This is however how I would have processed it with some adjustment of contrast and vibrance to bring the detail back through the haze.

I like the pano effect. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:08 pm 

I agree, adding a bit more of contrast might help bringing back the detail covered by the haze. Did you shoot RAW? When converting the image from RAW I found that it's easier to convert it to B&W directly and manipulating it from there, later cropping the image.

I also really liked the pano effect :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:59 pm 

Hello robbon, piero

I used PSE 10 for the conversion but I don't really spend much time on PP. I actually just bought LR4 recently on the recommendation of a photographer friend but I've done nothing with it really. He and I will be having a session with it at some stage. Right now, I am not a great fan of sitting and spending a great deal of time on PP but I guess that might change. Horror of horrors for some, no doubt, I'm still not convinced about shooting in RAW. Again, that will form part of my day with said chum. This could perhaps be a subject for separate discussion?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:23 am 

Hey Warth

I am a massive fan of LR i think its extremely user freindly and once you click with the way it operates import/export and how it treats photos as a data file you can have a heap of fun with it. Photos you review and think..naaaahh suddenly have a new lease of life.

I use raw and jpg but i find that with raw it does give you a lot more control with respect to exposure balance. However i also use JPG and have some great results with this also !

Have a fiddle with LR it really is extremely powerful once you start using it and the way it is designed makes your workflow in PP much more straight forward than in PS or PSE. i used to use PSE and have not used it since i landed LR4.

My favoritie function with LR is the use of graduated filters. I love the fact that i can apply the filter i want to the image i end up with which means i can take the photo as i see it and then let the PP take its own course if it needs it at all ! The graduated filter tool is really powerful and enables you to control the contrast or exposure of the sky for example. The cropping and balance/level tools are really easy to use and an essential part of anyones PP. A must for every landscape photographer as i hate to see oceans that are draining off to one side !

I agree that you shouldnt become a slave to the PP but it really can turn an OK photo into a wall hanger.

Here is a photo that was also taken on a hazy day and was pretty bland and grey until i played with it in LR. I only used LR, nothing else. i used a graduated filter for exposure on the sky a graduated filter for colour cast on the sky, a graduated filter on the gravel foreground for contrast and vibrancy and a spot brush mask with exposure and contrast adjustment on the body of the log. Total time spent in LR on the photo in PP was about 10mins.

log beach 1 colour-1 by robbon44, on Flickr

:D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:13 pm 

Very effective result robbon, I must say. We'll see how I get on with my mate - who is also a big fan of LR4.

Meanwhile, here are a couple more pics from Whitby town centre. I liked the addresses. Bit of gull evidence in the first unfortunately and pity about the bin and bag in the second.

Whitby addresses 1 by warth man, on Flickr

Whitby addresses 2 by warth man, on Flickr

Both heavily cropped. D600 with 16-35mm Nikkor.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:18 pm 

Like the pano version warth man. I'd be interested to see a pp'd version, but I actually like what you have, it was an image of what it was like then (weather wise).
Talking of the weather, I was about to remark about it being a typical summer seaside scene in the UK, but it's looking like we may actually be getting a summer over the next week :shock:

Pentax k-30 and k-x with DAL 18-55mm and DAL 55-300mm, Tamron 18-50mm and Camera Labs Straps.....hang on, where's my towel?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:12 am 

Thanks Arthur, but until yesterday the reported heatwave was a southern thing. All I'd noticed up here was slight warming of the rain. However it came good yesterday. And my mower broke!