Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:42 am 

Hi Guys,

I need your advise. I am confused at the moment. I want to take some long exposure landscape photos and till now I managed it by shooting after the sunset or before sunrise when the light is low. I've been looking at some beautiful long exposure photographs recently and I really want get into that stuff.

My budget is limited ($600) and I figured out that I can either buy Lee ND filters and the filter holder kit with that money and use my Nikkor 18-55mm kit lens set the lens to 18mm and try

or

buy tokina 11-16mm lens and save up money for Lee filters later or may be buy cokin filters for time being (I have heard some negative things about Cokin filters)

what do you guys suggest?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:15 pm 

With my own money, I don't think I could bring myself to buy Cokin's ND filters knowing some of them don't even have neutral colouring. I could correct it with some PP but the principle would put me of buying such filters in the first place.

I'm not saying you should just go ahead and buy the Lee ND filters and use them with your kit lens because the 18mm focal length may not be wide enough - you'd have to decide if 18mm catches enough of the landscape or if you'd need the Tokina 11-16mm to do so.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:03 am 

Thanks Rorschach. I will not buy Cokin filters. I've instead decided to spend my money on Tokina 11-16mm :D. I think that I would need that wide lens to capture some good landscapes.

I ordered it on digitalrev and waiting for it eagerly.

I see that you have a Tokina 11-16mm too are you enjoying using that lens?

I can't wait to try the lens on my D7000.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:33 pm 

I think it's a great lens, possibly one of the best wide-angle lenses for APS-C bodies. It focuses quickly and its IQ is razor sharp - even at f/2.8 its sharpness is pretty good.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if you were disappointed with it. The only "complaints" I've heard are the lack of a case and the limited zoom though for the latter, it should be expected (even at its price) to have some compromises to get the aperture.