Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: My First Pic
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:38 am 

Hi Guys,
I only bought my first DSLR a week ago after only ever having point and shoot cameras. Below are my two first ever pics with auto settings off and the camera on manual. I have to say I'm starting from the very beginning in this new past time and there's so much to learn. These pics are only taken with the basic kit lens that came with my camera, they're not great but for a first atempt I'm quite happy.
I'm always happy to listen to any comments or tips!
Regards
Peter

Post subject: Re: My First Pic
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:48 pm 

Welcome to the forum, Peter!

I think posting images and inviting comments is the best way to learn. Flower photography isn't my thing and I really don't know much about it at all, but I'll chime in with some comments first.

I think you've composed #1 better than #2 as you've managed to frame the subject more cleanly without chopping off petals, although you need to crop the stuff off the bottom.

#1 looks to be soft though. Did you use manual focus or was there a stiff breeze? If you used autofocus, then it's not clear what the camera has focused on. I think for this type of subject, it's also necessary to wait for more favourable light. Many of the petals are casting shadows over each other in #1 which I think is a little distracting.

If you look at the background in #1, you can see that it is mostly dark and out of focus (although there are bright spots nearer the top). I think this is good for this type of shot as it allows the subject to stand out more. I think this effect could be heightened more if the petals were more evenly-lit.

When you post images for comment, it's always useful to include some EXIF data - at least the shutter speed, aperture, and focal length. There is other info which can be useful, but these are a good start.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:48 pm 

Nice shots, I agree with kimchi, first one does look soft. Personally I preferred the second shot, the composition was nicer, at least for me. Both are great shots, but could be improved further. Nice start :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:20 am 

Many thanks for the feedback guys! :D