Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:22 pm 

Hi there, My wife and I have set out to find the best DSLR for us, we currently use our phones and our small Samsung camera for pictures, but have never really been satisfied with the photos. We also get a lot of Professional pictures done and figured, why not save the money.

So I started looking at different cameras, I initially was set to either pickup the Canon t3i or the Nikon D3200, but after some reading, It appears that maybe these wouldn't be the best purchase for us. I then stumbled across the Nikon 5200 which seems to be better for us maybe. Let me tell you what I plan to do, or need it to do. Hopefully someone can give me a better picture.

The main use of the camera is to photograph everyday things, like playing in our yard, trips, etc. However I would love to have a camera that I could photograph my Son's sports games when he begins in a few years. I also would love it to have some sort of ease of use for my wife as I know she won't dive as deep into the photography thing(manual focus , etc). So if it would have the best of both worlds that would be awesome. The 5200 appealed to me because I could buy the IR remote, put it on a tripod, use the flip screen toward us and take family pictures without leaving us out of the pictures. However I see this camera being compared to the 7000 and that it doesn't quite meet up in specs.

So am I looking at the right camera? Should I be looking at something else? I know most beginner lens won't capture sports very well, but would a 5200 with lens allow me to start and give me room to upgrade lens in the future?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm 

What was the reading that led you to believing the T3i and D3200 aren't fit for purpose? Which specifications/features do each of them lack that you feel reduce their suitability?

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:15 pm 

I'll have to see if I can find the articles, but basically it was comparing the ISO levels of the t3i, and the nikon d3200. I had no problem with both of those minus the D3200 lacking the flip out screen(which we would probably use a lot). But it basicly said the D5200 was better in terms of 5frames vs the 3.7 of the d3200, for action shooting. Also that the D5200 did a lot better video(which I think I forgot in my original post) but better video, the flip out screen, and the Higher iso which would allow me to shoot better pictures without worrying as much on lighting. Minus the ISO difference, I think the t3i does have everything I would need(not sure how the video is on it). But I'm curious how much difference it is between shooting with 18MP vs 24MP. On paper that seems like a lot, but maybe it doesn't make a difference unless I'm dealing with printing these out on a side of a house.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:25 am 

I don't think it's really fair to compare the D3200 to the T3i since the T3i came out more than a year earlier. Or, coming at it the other way, I think it's more fair to compare the D3200 to the T4i which came out around the same time. To wit:

Gordon's high ISO comparison of the T4i vs D3200 is here. (Also, for static shots, note the T4i's Multi-shot Noise Reduction mode at the end of the page.)

(Also, for the sake of completeness, Canon just released the T5i. There's a preview thread in the Canon section of the forum.)

And the T4i is better for video:
  • With an STM lens, video auto-focus is quieter and smoother.
  • You can "pull focus" via the touch screen on the T4i. (There's the demo video of this feature on the first page of Gordon's review.)
  • Live Histogram.
  • (The T4i has an external mic jack.)
  • (You can adjust aperture while shooting video on the T4i.)

Lastly, although both Canon and Nikon have comparable lenses, for indoor/night sports, be prepared for things to get pricey.

Full disclosure: I own a T4i (and shoot video with it) - Mark

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:01 am 

After I posted I actually started to research the rebel models due to one of my favorite film crews using the t2i. So i googled the t5i, but most said just find the t4i as it'll be cheaper. So I googled t4i https://www.google.com/search?q=t4i&rlz ... e&ie=UTF-8

But all I see are awful reviews. Have you had any issues with yours?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:41 am 

RivaCom wrote:
But all I see are awful reviews. Have you had any issues with yours?

Awful reviews relative to what? Relative to a D3200, all of the concerns you've raised thus far are discussed in Gordon's T4i review (linked previously), and relative to a D5200, in his D5200 review:

• High ISO - check.
  • 5 fps - check.
  • video shooting - check.
  • Lower resolution sensor - check.
  • Ease of use (for your wife) (with the touchscreen) - check.

And nope - Mark

P.S. OK, honestly, yes, since there is no perfect camera, there are things that I wish the T4i did or didn't do. (e.g. RAW video or limited clip length.) But the cameras that do those things (e.g. Black Magic Pocket Cinema camera or Panasonic GH series camera) also have shortcomings (e.g. no autofocus with EF lenses). So it's really about finding the camera that best fits your needs and is within your budget. For me, that's a T4i. (Although, I do also have a GH1 and GH2, and plan to buy a BMPCC.) And thus far, it seems like the same could be true for you.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:22 am 

Once you get your shortlist, and it seems you are close, find a shop that has all the models on the list and hold them in your hand with a couple of different lenses attached. Get your other half to do the same, this will help you as much as on paper specs. The camera you feel most comfortable with in your hand will be the one you use more.

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Last edited by keystrokesuk on Thu May 30, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:12 pm 

I went through this a few months ago. The suggestion to check them out in person is a good recommendation. I looked at mainly Nikon and Canon (I'm a longtime Canon film camera user) and neither fit my hands well until I added in a battery grip. Then the Canon seemed a better fit - I have big hands. I'm an amateur and the T4I fit my needs/wants best and that's what I ultimately purchased.

If it doesn't feel comfortable, you won't use it so make sure it fits you well. In my case a battery grip and hand strap (grip issue due to an old injury) made the Canon my choice.