Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Exposure Check
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:52 am 

:lol: Since getting the right exposure seems to be my down fall with flashes right now, could you check this one for me. I really can't wait to get home and get a monitor that I can calibrate; doing this on the laptop seems to be hurting me a little. This one is going into a photo contest. Guess what I found out, cheep optical triggers DON'T work when facing the sun like this, so still no fill light on his right side :x
Peace by mcarriganphotos, on Flickr

Post subject: Re: Exposure Check
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:12 am 

Hi Mike

Looks fine to me.
Just a tip, clone out the sun as it is competing with your subject. Your eye always goes to the brightest part of an image first! Golden rule.

Cheers
Colin

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:42 pm 

Crud! Thanks Colin, maybe I should have put the sun right behind him and made some rim light. Oh well, at least I got better on exposure :D

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:16 am 

I agree with audioman with the sun. I think the right face shadow moves the focus onto the centre of the face and it works well for me. Guess it’s horses for courses for each of us.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:45 pm 

I think you're doing a great job with just a laptop screen, exposure looks good indeed. It's a shame you couldn't get the fill light to fire, but then we all realize you have limited equipment out there. While I like being able to see the outline of the mountains, I also wish there would be some detail in the black areas closer to your subject (which you could only see if you walked 180° around him.

- Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:59 pm 

Thanks Bjorn. My real goal, and you can kind of see one, was to eventual bring a tactical vehicle in the background and hit it with a flash as well but that's just not going to pan out.

I can also say this has been a popular photo. It made it from my Units Facebook to our Headquarters page and then I was told to upload it to the Military wide media database, dvidshub.net, where news agencies go and download stories, videos, and pictures about the Military with my name as credit :D We tag the stories and photos with keywords and hometown info so the paper goes out and searches for the cities they cover and the photos and stories come up and they can run them.