Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:42 pm 

Ok, I found a great model here in Afghanistan that is fun to shoot so you may see some more of her. So are these of the girl exposed well? I think the lighting turned out great but I was wanting something more moody where you could only see her face and a little scarf but if I cut the exposure it wasn't working, need to play with light position more.

The ones in the green scarf don't have a lot of editing...does she have a green cast to her face from the scarf? The red one has more editing...is her face red? I took it into ColorEfex, everything else was done quickly in Lightroom. Some of you remember, I'm color blind LOL. There is a hair on her face, I haven't taken them into Photoshop for a real workout. I'm going to do them again following my Photoshop Portrait book so I can work skin texture and stuff. Pay no attention to the back ground, it is still the crinkled black 60" flash deflector I'm using as an adhoc back ground. I masked it and ran the exposure on it super low but it may still be there.

I love my new little 50 f/1.8, wish I could have gotten the 1.4. All at 250-sec/ f/10 / iso100 / Single flash with 30" white shoot thru umbrella at 1/4 power

20130508-3-4 by mcarriganphotos, on Flickr

20130508-9-9 by mcarriganphotos, on Flickr

20130508-23-Edit-40 by mcarriganphotos, on Flickr

20130508-38-35 by mcarriganphotos, on Flickr

Last edited by HikingMike on Tue May 21, 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:50 pm 

I don’t see any green on the face of the first two, the red scarf does give a slight pink on the face to me, that could be because she was blushing from something you said. From what I remember from your previous posts you have succeeded in getting the face half in shadow with the guy.

I’m not a portrait shooter, perhaps more experience members can give some critique.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:33 am 

Thanks 4xxx, on the red one I boosted the red globaly so that must be where the color is coming from.

Here are a couple of more, would love to hear feed back :D The 2 sunset photos were actually test shots and need a second light source. She was just walking by and I snaged her, otherwise I'm sure her hair would have been a little better :lol:
Look Thru by mcarriganphotos, on Flickr

130520-A-RB400-66 by mcarriganphotos, on Flickr

130520-A-RB400-109 by mcarriganphotos, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:26 am 

Nice one, "Look thru" is really nice.

I am still learning with the flash- 430Ex II , but I used it a bit yesterday during a school excursion. I use it in AV mode and used function setting so that shutter speed is 1/250, it seems to do weird stuff on Auto or P. Generally the ettl gets the exposure of the subject right . ie flash exposure compensation "0" then adjust exposure to change exposure of background by going up or down a stop, that is if you want to darken the background or brighten it.

I like the one the Afgan girl, she is lovely, I think you should try the aperture a bit more open. Then as you can tell form the second and others, Portraits work better when you can see the chin and then the jawbone or jawline. Even if its means they push their face forward a bit. See first, third and fourth. The second one has a tad of red cast, to my eyes atleast.

The last one, looks like its a tad over exposed or the flash over did it. Maybe you were just too close.

Sometimes when the flash is too bright, like on your last one, increasing exposure to 2/3 of a stop and dropping fel by 2/3 of a stop seems to work. Seems to soften it all a bit. I use that a bit.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:53 pm 

Well to me there's no green cast in any of the model's shots, though as mentioned by maxjj, I feel there is as slight red cast on the second one. I like the more relaxed look of the third shot, the second one feels a bit out of place, at least to me.

Your fourth shot is pretty nice, though I feel the right side of his face (viewer's left) is a bit too underexposed.

I also agree with maxjj on your fifth shot, look-through is indeed really nice, the detail on her eyes is great, though her right eye is a bit out of focus and personally I like having both eyes in focus, but that's just my opinion :P

The last two shots are pretty nice though the last one is a bit overexposed.

Great set, good job :)