Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:44 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:44 pm 

I need some advice. I want to get a camera I can use for vacation and for taking pictures of my daughter's gymnastic events. I currently have a Nikon P7000 which is good for outdoors, but not great for indoors. I took some great whale shots with it, but also missed some because its not fast enough. It just doesnt have the speed of the Nikon 1 J3 for sports. Will the Nikon 1 J3 be good for indoor sports? I don't want a full size camera and want to keep the cost below $800.00. I am torn between getting the Nikon J3 with the all in one lens, or the kit with the two lenses. The all in one seems better but a little bulky compared to the kit. I am not sold on the camera and am willing to look at others.
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:26 am 

bart430 wrote:
Will the Nikon 1 J3 be good for indoor sports? I don't want a full size camera and want to keep the cost below $800.00. I am torn between getting the Nikon J3 with the all in one lens, or the kit with the two lenses.

Unfortunately, no. Since all the kit lenses are slow/dark, they aren't well suited for indoor sports. And the only really fast/bright 1 series lens is just 18.5mm, which even with the 2.7X CF is only 50mm (full frame equivalent), so probably not long enough for gymnastics, especially floor. Although it might be OK for events like vault if you can position yourself right next to the apparatus. (And even if you can, your daughter may find that distracting.)

Also unfortunately, indoor sports are the hardest thing to capture on a budget. (There's a reason the pros who shoot NBA games, for example, use equipment that costs several thousand dollars.) My best recommendation for something small that could do OK would be an Olympus E-PL5 (~$600) + Olympus 75mm f1.8 (~$900) which is obviously twice as much as you want to spend.

Full disclosure: I own an E-PL5 and 75mm lens - Mark

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:48 pm 

Maestro, thanks for your recommendation. I will take a look at the Olympus, but you are right its about twice what I want to spend.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:54 pm 

I went to my local camera store and played with the Nikon J3 and V2. The J3 didn't fit my hand as good as the V2. There isn't much grip area. Both shoot fast and it was impressive. I think I would have bought the V2 hands down if I didnt expect to take a lot of pictures of my daughter doing gymnastics.

They didn't have the Olympus EPL5 in stock but the sales person had her personal OM-D E-M5, also not in stock. After playing with them and talking to the salesperson, I did some more research on both the EPL5 and the OM-D E-M5. I ended up getting the OM-D E-M5.

I spent way more than I wanted to and realize I will have to get another lenses in the future. I think the kit lenses will hold me over until I can get the better lenses.

I considered getting the EPL5 because its real close to the M-5 and much cheaper. In fact I could have gotten both the camera and the lenses you recommended for not much more than the M-5. I just kept going back to the OM-D E-M5 for the viewfinder and the fact that its sealed. I kept remembering taking pictures of the Blue Angles on a boat in San Francisco bay and getting splashed by the waves one year.

Thanks for the recommendation Mark. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:36 am 

Congrats on your purchase! The E-M5 is a very good camera. The only reason I recommended the E-PL5 instead is because it's smaller/closer to Nikon J3 size. But as you've found out with the J3/V2, sometimes small can be too small. Well, smaller size and cheaper price, which you've also taken into consideration.

Glad I could help - Mark

P.S. As an aside, there is an add-on viewfinder currently available, and Olympus is going to be coming out with a new, higher resolution version soon, but they both add to the size of the E-PL5, and they cost extra, so it's kind of a wash relative to the E-M5.