Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:40 am 

Macro shooting - leaning in or hand focusing?

Hey everyone,

I’m hoping to get some advice on best ways to focus while doing macro photography. Should I be leaning in and out or should I be focusing with the lens barrel directly? I’ve heard people discuss doing it both ways, and I’m finding it difficult using the lens barrel technique on my 100mm macro. The DOF is just so thin! But I’m also worried that leaning out and in might be frowned upon, and I don’t want to get myself into bad habits.

Any advice is appreciated!

Mark

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:46 am 

I say go for it - my macro photography (http://mattwarrell.com) technique uses it all the time. Nothing to be ashamed of.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:36 am 

Hi Brisbane Shooter Welcome aboard.

DOF doesn`t have to be that thin.
What aperture are you shooting at?
Its not uncommon to use f16 or f20, keep an eye on shutter speed.

I would suggest that first and foremost stand or sit/kneel as comfortable and steady as possible. Minimize your movement first. Be a tripod. :)
No point in trying to lean fwd or back when you are hunched over, you will only sway around and get uncomfortable pretty quick..
Keep your body comfortable and relaxed and steady, moving in or our with your feet, or slight body movements.
I would typically be close to the minimum focus distance of the lens, ie about 30cm away, then get body comfortable and steady and as close as practical , then use lens to fine tune. If auto focus has trouble, adjust manually.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:24 pm 

Use whatever technique is comfortable to you.

Obviously if you are shooting a small object that isn't going to move, you can set up a tripod, but for other stuff you'll be hand-holding your gear. A monopod can be useful.
Practice your breathing, then practice practice practice some more.

Brian Valentine (Lord V) produces some amazing macro shots. I love his dew-drop refraction shots!
He can hand-hold & take several shots of an insect, then focus stacks them. (in Zerene stacker I think) http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=brian+ ... 36&bih=670
He's also on Flickr & describes his cheap, home-made `coke-can` diffuser & set up if you can find it.