Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:39 am 
I use the Slik Pro 330 tripod :)

Key specs:-
Max. height (centre column raised): 160cm
Max. height (centre column down): 124cm
Weight: about 1.6kg with head.

I chose this model because it was the most value-for-money tripod I could find. It holds my entry-level DSLR and any of my lenses (see signature for list) very steadily. I didn't need or want anything more expensive (paid S$150) or heavier. Highly recommended if you use a small DSLR and no bazooka lenses :)

Unlike the lower-end tripods Slik and other brands make, the Pro 330 has adjustable leg angles, meaning you can spread individual legs out even wider on uneven surfaces and things like that.

A bonus for those who stay in colder countries is that this model comes with foam grips on the legs, so you can hold the tripod without needing to touch the metal parts.

Things I don't like about the kit:
-The DX suffix in the name refers to the 3-way pan-and-tilt head sold with the legs. It will serve light users fine, but I opted to buy a ballhead (the excellent Manfrotto 496RC2) to use instead.
-The Slik tripod bag (S$15) I bought at the same time is as basic as tripod bags get - unpadded carrying strap & thin material for the bag. Lots of tiny holes have formed in the bag's exterior, but maybe I'm not balancing the weight right or something...
-Nothing to dislike about the legs! But I didn't feel very confident using a borrowed Canon 50D+battery grip+Speedlite+70-200 lens...this tripod isn't meant for that.

Note: Slik also has a lighter tripod at a similar price range, the "Sprint Pro" series. I tried that in the store as well, and I don't recommend it for DSLRs because it's less sturdy with thinner, 4-section legs. That series seems to be marketed for prosumer 'large-compact' cameras - it might suit mirrorless cameras - but as with all tripods, always best to bring your camera to the store to try before you buy.

-SnS 8)

P.S.: Anybody taller than 6-feet, or who doesn't like using centre columns, will likely find himself/herself crouching or bending a fair bit to use this tripod.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:13 pm 

Over the last 16 months or so I've gone thru a bit with tripods and heads. I think I now have a workable set of equipment.

I started with the Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 because it was light (carbon fiber). Turned out to be good tripod but too light. With a long lens and long exposures it would move in a breeze even with a rock weighing it down.
I still use the PRO3 for macro work as it is light and you can get it into all sorts of positions. Here it is with a ball head and the center shaft rotated. This is how I use it for macro stuff.

But for my main tripod I now use the Manfrotto 055CPRO4 and it works well. I still weigh it down with my 300mm lens for long exposures but it does the job.
It is also carbon fiber but the columns are thicker than the PRO3.
I bought the center column with a ball on it so I can level it real fast. I no longer adjust the legs over and over trying to level. I level it for long distance panorama shots. Here it is with a 3-way head on it which is my default head.

Sometimes I will use the ball head but it usually stays on the PRO3.

I use a Calumet gimbal head along with the 300L lens for the zoo. It works well with long lens as it swings around easy for following the animals.

And a Manfrotto Panorama head for panoramas that are close. For long pano's the 3-way head works as I don't worry about the lens nodal point. But up close....

Seems there is always the right piece of equipment for every job. Just affording it can be a problem. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:49 am 

Rick50

Hello, that looks a good idea with the rotating head so you dont have to adjust the legs over and over. When I was out last night in dark streets shooting, it was a real pain as you have to look hard to see the unlocking clips. I like that head, and its great you posted those photos, descriptions are good but accompanied by photos makes it a lot easier for me at least to understand. Cheers.

Colin.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:19 am 

I am so glad I ran across this thread. Answers almost every unanswered question with the setup I just purchased,... or rather put together myself. Haven't received it yet, still waiting on shipping, expecting it to ship Monday and arrive maybe next Thursday. I ordered the 055XPROB/MVH502AH kit, but this kit has no ball leveling to it which is important. I know the question is,... why didn't I go for one of the twin leg kits with the 75mm bowls or the 755XB kit that sports the 502 head. The answer quite frankly is cost. However, I was able to save a little south of 100 dollars by piecing together a kit that I'm hoping would serve me at a cheaper cost. So I added the 555B 50mm ball column to my order as did you. My worry was if it would work with Manfrotto's Pro Q head. Wasn't sure if the mechanism that allows the center column to go horizontal would make the 555B incompatible. Your pics have confirmed that it is compatible,... to a point. The one question I have that's not answered is if the 555B will have any problems going horizontal. Based on your pics, I'm thinking the turn grip that locks the 50mm ball probably will prevent that. I'm hoping the swap between the stock 055 center stick and the 555B center stick is quick and painless, making the 055XPROB easy to reconfigure, say if macro stills are the order of the day instead of SLR video.

My other concern was whether the 502 head would be too heavy for the 555B's ball/bowl unit. The reviews say the 502 is a little larger and heavier than the 501 it replaced and much larger than the 500AH head that replaced the 701 head. Guess I'll have to wait and see on that, but Manfrotto does advertise a 755XB kit with a 502 sitting on top of a 555B. In fact,... would I be in error in believing that the 755XB tripod is nothing more than the 055XB tripod with a 555B center column pre-installed? If so, then my purchase is a win! Still, you last two pics more than adequately answers that question.

Thanks Rick50 for sharing the pics.

Last edited by Bjorn van Sinttruije on Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Removed unnecessary quote. Please quote responsibly.