Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: images not sharp?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:16 pm 

:?: Hi I have recently taken my my 15-85mm lens out on a trip. The images are not as sharp as I was expecting. What am I doing wrong? Advice most welcome. I was using a Canon 550D body. A sample image can be seen at www.flickr.com/photos/87952891@N05/8663 ... hotostream

Post subject: Re: images not sharp?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:21 pm 

Well, it is sharp (and it wont get any sharper), but you might adjust the Picture Style to something more vividly. Or create an own, which is pretty easy.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:44 pm 

I don't think sharpness is the problem. It looks more like your aperture is so wide open that you have a shallow depth of field. The branches and the fence towards the left of the frame look pretty sharp, even in the Large 2048 rendition, so I'm guessing the leftmost AF point was being used.

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:32 am 

have to agree with above comments, would suggest for that sort of shot you use aperture of f9 and then potentially need to increase iso to keep shutter speed up. Also check that IS is on, I have found mine turned off by accident sometimes.

like Ruben said, look at what processing is being done to your jpg , you may benefit from increasing sharpness saturation, contrast etc.

What focus point are you using, what did you focus on?

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:57 am 

Thanks for the great advice. Yes I did leave let the camera select the focus, next time I will used the centre zone to focus. I also made the mistake of keeping the camera at around f4.5-5 thinking this would give me the sharpest image. I will now keep it between f8-11 for buildings and the like on a bright day. Would shoting in RAW mode make much difference to the overall sharpness?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:41 am 

no shooting in raw by itself will not make much difference. It depends on what software you use and how you process your photos.
Just like you can tweak the in camera processing of jpg`s to make improvements you can still do plenty of changes to jpg`s after.
If you have thought about awb, adjusted the cameras settings to suit the type of shooting you are doing, there is plenty of scope for jpg to give you great results.

What raw will give you is more scope to tweak things. Then with resizing and converting to jpg you can potentially get better results.
I started off using canon`s own dpp , but it wasn`t until I started using Lightroom4 and spend a bit of time with it, that I got a big improvement in results and I am still learning.
I shoot both jpg and raw, my wife usually uses the jpgs. I use jpg for family type shots and email , but then for wildlife/birds and landscape use raw.

It doesn`t matter if you use jpg or raw or both, a good shot is a good shot. But as you learn, grow with you photography skills you will develop your own preference. I still like to try and get as much right in the camera when I take the photo, so I aim to get a good jpg. Thinking about awb, sharpness etc.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:11 am 

ColD wrote:
I also made the mistake of keeping the camera at around f4.5-5 thinking this would give me the sharpest image. I will now keep it between f8-11 for buildings and the like on a bright day.

You need to careful of getting trapped in the mindset of "always use f/8 for....". Just because f/5 wasn't right for this particular shot it doesn't mean it wouldn't be right (if used correctly) for the same bridge/scene. You need to understand the creative effects differing the DoF will have on an image.

When shooting a scene like this you need to
1. Make a creative decision as to how you want to capture it.
2. Make the necessary calculations to work out the desired DoF
3. Apply those settings to the camera, adjusting shutter speed and iso as necessary.

As examples. You might want the current shot but with the whole bridge acceptably in focus. First you will need to master properly controlling the focus of your camera so that you aren't caught of by foreground objects. But beyond that you will want a small aperture which gives a wide depth of field so that the whole bridge appears to be in focus. Alternatively your friend may be on the bridge along with many other people. You may want to take a shot which makes your friend stand out so you focus directly on her and use a large aperture (narrow depth of field) so that your friend is in focus but everyone else (and most of the bridge) is out of focus. Same scene, two totally different images.