Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:53 pm 

How can I tell if VR is working? I'm seeking a definitive test so I will know what it is doing.

When is VR helpful? When should I use it?

When is VR not helpful? When should I not use it?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:54 pm 

While half pressing the shutter button you should see the image steady itself in the viewfinder. Use a longer focal length to accentuate the effect.

VR is useful while hand holding slower shutter speeds. It depends on your technique on how slow you can go :D

VR doesn't help much if you use very fast shutter speeds, faster than 1/500s. Assuming you are shooting normal focal lengths (up to 300mm)
And doesn't help at all if you are using a tripod. I turn it off in this case since it's unnecessarily using battery life and I've heard it can actually introduce blur, but I've never seen it actually confirmed.

Hope it helps, I'm sure you could find articles written about VR if you search google :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:00 am 

And just don't expect miracles

If you're shooting people at 1/30th with VR on, they'll still be blurry...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:00 pm 

Woor wrote:
While half pressing the shutter button you should see the image steady itself in the viewfinder. Use a longer focal length to accentuate the effect.

I mistakenly thought that if VR switch was on then it was working constantly. I will try what you suggest.

Quote:
VR is useful while hand holding slower shutter speeds. It depends on your technique on how slow you can go :D

VR doesn't help much if you use very fast shutter speeds, faster than 1/500s. Assuming you are shooting normal focal lengths (up to 300mm)
And doesn't help at all if you are using a tripod. I turn it off in this case since it's unnecessarily using battery life and I've heard it can actually introduce blur, but I've never seen it actually confirmed.

Hope it helps, I'm sure you could find articles written about VR if you search google :D

I could have searched [deleted content] but I wanted a more personalized answer. Thanks.

Last edited by Bjorn van Sinttruije on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MOD: Removed commercial links. Spamming is not allowed here.