Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:45 pm 

My wife and I are going to have our first child and we're looking for a camera that can take good pics and video for long lasting memories.

We are trying to judge between these two cameras, we can get a nice discount on either one. Which one is better for the money? FYI we really want a tripod so if you choose the Canon do you know where we can get one that's compatible?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/ ... _is_ii_kit

OR

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/dig ... x_hs35exr/

p.s. when I was in 2nd grade I told the class I was going to be a wildlife photographer. I'm 26 now and I've NEVER owned a camera. Excited to finally explore photography.

Last edited by Bjorn van Sinttruije on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Replaced commercial links.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:57 am 

Hi GrimCamera welcome to the forum.

How good is the discount you are getting? I did a quick search on Amazon and found the Canon Rebel T3i on Amazon for $563.70 so my advice would be to shop around and see what you can get.

As for the two cameras I don't know either model but maybe others can help you there. Have you been to a store and held these cameras to see which one feels best in your hands?

Tripods use a standard size screw so any tripod would fit in there. Note that if you buy the legs and tripod head separate that the camera won't fit on the legs itself.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Tripod: Joby Gorillapod Focus with Ball Head X, Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 with Manfrotto MH054M0-Q5 ballhead

Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:30 pm 

Welcome GrimCamera to the Camera Labs forum. I have replaced the two links in your post with the pages of each camera on the manufacturers' websites.

The main difference between the cameras you posted is that they are different types. The Canon is a DSLR (you can interchange lenses), whereas the Fuji is a superzoom (fixed lens with a long range). If your main purpose for the camera is to take pictures of your child (congratulations by the way), the Canon is probably the better option. If you want to realize your childhood dreams and do wildlife, the Canon would probably still be better but you would need to invest in an additional lens.

One additional note: the Canon T3 is slightly outdated. Though that might enable you to get a better price on it, if you spend a little more, you'll get better features (especially in term of video). I will have to refer you to the Canon-section of our forum for more information on the exact differences between the T3 and T3i, T4i and T5i, since I don't know much about those cameras myself.

- Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

I'd definitely get the DSLR over the super-zoom. It'll take much better photos in low light.

Gordon