Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:09 am 

Hi all - well into uncountable number of days researching....compact telephoto? Dslr? Ok think I've got that one figured - dslr for me....so what one? Think I've narrowed it to the following:
1. Nikon D5100 with nikon 18-200mm lens
2. Canon T 4i with 18-270 lens
3. Pentax K-5 with ? Lens
Reasons:
I gather source material for my art. From super macro to hummingbirds and other small birds in flight, to horses and wild animals in flight, to sunsets and low light conditions, portraits, the lot really.
Am leaving for 4 months hiking into the national parks of the USA soon so don't want to be changing lenses and don't want too heavy a camera. Also needs to be relatively robust, so also advice on protective covering? Going from hot plains to cool dry climes with snow on the ground, shooting geysers in Yellowztone...
On my return will consider diversifying lenses, but don't intent taking up weight lifting, or paying for a manservant. Happy to pay for good glass vs good body.

Am looking for a great entry level. Have maxed out use for my very reliable Fuji Finepix S5800, which I have loved. It now is not fast enough, too much shutter lag, need clearer images and video to freeze frame animal attitude.

Total budget, including camera case, storage, etc for this first step AUD1500.00.

Yes, a, going to town (live rural Australia) next week to handhold cameras, just need a bit of enlightenment.

Help please?
Ps. Would prefer non plastic lens to camera mount for durability.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:04 am 

I am not 100% sure but I think out of those 3 cameras only the Pentax K-5 has weather sealing. That might be worth looking into if you are going to use the camera in different weather conditions.

Unfortunately I don't know a lot about Pentax lenses but I'm sure others can help you.

Tripod: Joby Gorillapod Focus with Ball Head X, Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 with Manfrotto MH054M0-Q5 ballhead

Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:05 am 

I guess it depends on how the camera feels in your hands, as you know the lens is the key to quality photos. I’m not sure if the 18-270 mm is Tamron, if so it will be a lot cheaper but you are only going to get what you pay for.

Spending 4 months in a new environment with an el-chepo lens will only cause you dissatisfaction with the results. I can recommend the Nikon 18-200 mm as a high IQ lens, although a bit short for my surf shooting I can crop close to 50% and still get a good image. I use that over my 70-300 mm lens where I trash all my shots due to low IQ.

Suggest having a look at images for both lenses.

Have fun on the trip.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:28 am 

Thanks very much for your responses.....other than weather shielding I guess there's not a lot between them...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:51 am 

With all due respect, I think you'd be better off on this trip with a Panasonic FZ200 (24X zoom with a constant f/2.8 aperture) than a DSLR and only one all-around type lens. The FZ200 would be smaller, and you could get two for the price of either of the DSLR + lens combos you listed.

In any case, enjoy your travels! - Mark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:53 pm 

Thanks Mark, that is something else to think about. I would have taken my trusty Fuji S5800, only the quality of pics is not what I'm after. I've just seen a kit comprising D7000 with 18-105, but again I feel I would be compromising on quality of lens for expensive body. Really looking to get a body that will do most things and put money into lenses long haul so I can change the bodies as $ and models permit. I will review the FZ200 per your advice.
Alternative? Should I get the alround and somewhat overprice 18-200 and a macro lens?
Looking forward to picking them all up later in the week.....
Thanks everyone, keep the thoughts and advice coming, it helps me see if my thinking is right.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:44 pm 

Have you looked into m43? They're almost made for travel and there are plenty of low permutations of body/lenses within your budget. Don't underestimate the difference a kilo less of weight on your shoulder makes while traveling.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm