Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:36 pm 

Hello. Yet another newbie stepping out of lurk mode.

Have enjoyed very much scouring the forum over the last month or so, picking up tips and marvelling at the talent of some of the photographers here. Some of the images posted are beyond stunning and I'm in turn inspired, then a little dejected as to whether I'll ever be able to produce images even half as good.

I've always been keen on taking pictures, but until recently have never really been able to afford anything in the way of half decent kit. However, I've recently acquired a Canon EOS 550d, with not only a kit lens (18-55mm) but a "thrifty fifty" and a 55-250mm telephoto. Obviously, this is all at the entry end of the quality spectrum, but I'd like to see what I can do with it :)

Slowly but surely I'm weaning myself off the auto setting (very scary!) and figuring out how to use this thing in it's multifarious modes - with very mixed results, but I'm a willing learner.

Anyway, I'll stop yakking now, but just wanted to say thanks to all those who willingly post their images and pass on their wisdom - it's very much appreciated

Best regards

Post subject: Re: Hello
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:41 am 

Welcome archetype, there is nothing wrong with auto and P mode whilst learning, it does give you a base line on what setting to use for different conditions.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:49 am 

Welcome to the forum archetype.

I agree with 4xxxx use your Auto and P mode to see what the camera is selecting and learn from it. Have fun taking the photos and you will learn the other modes step by step. And if there is something you don't understand I am sure there are a few people here than can explain it for you and help you. :)

Tripod: Joby Gorillapod Focus with Ball Head X, Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 with Manfrotto MH054M0-Q5 ballhead

Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:58 am 

Welcome onboard :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:29 pm 

Thanks for the welcome :)

Please don't get my wrong, I'm still quite happy in Auto or P mode, I guess I'm just keen to try and learn to use what I've got to it's full potential - or as close to it as I can get. It's all baby steps though and am currently working on being able to get a decent exposure in different conditions without always relying on the camera to do it for me. It does help that I now understand what all those numbers mean when I look through the viewfinder! Also happy that with the 50mm lens in particular, I'm not always having to rely on needing the flash indoors.

It's all good fun and (mostly) keeps me out of mischief

Best regards

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hi archetype, I'm also a big fan of using Program mode and only venture into Aperture Priority or Manual when required.

You may find my tutorials useful at http://www.dslrtips.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:37 pm 

Thanks Gordon. Have found your tutorials very useful indeed. In fact I made good use of the one on the polarizing filter at the weekend - can't believe the difference it's made to pictures taken on or near water. Best duck pics I've ever taken :)