Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Where Do I Start?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:54 pm 

Hello everyone

I've always loved taking pictures and recently decided it was time to invest in some entry-level DSLR equipment and learn how to become a better photographer. I have a Canon 550d with 50mm, 18-55mm and 70-300mm lenses and polarising filters.

I want to learn and master things step by step and gradually improve my skills but the sheer amount of information out there is quite overwhelming for a beginner and I am now in 'information overload' mode!

From your experience what would you say are the key basics I should focus on in the first few weeks? I don't want to try to run before I can walk but I want to get out there and learn by taking photos, not drown in a sea of technical jargon.

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Where Do I Start?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:15 pm 

Welcome to a hobby in which you never stop learning.

The way I started was to master the exposure. Once I was satisfied that I could get decent results any virtually any lighting condition, I moved onto another skill. So instead of trying to perfect all skills at once, I took baby steps which resulted in a more enjoyable experience and less frustration.

Upload some photos to recieve critique, and try to implement the recommendations posted.

Happy shooting!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:27 pm 
KirstyWorm - This might sound a bit too obvious, but "learn the basics" - starting with 'The Triangle' - how Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO - affect and create images. Very neatly described and shown with diagrams and images - plenty of detail, but easy to understand - under "Understanding Camera Exposure: Aperture, ISO & Shutter Speed", in the "Cambridge in Colour" Site's free Tutorials.

They have a long list of Tutorials from the Basics to Advanced - and you can of course find and use the parts you need at any time in any order....

Ref: - http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/learn- ... ncepts.htm (the List of topics)

Ref: - http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutori ... posure.htm (the Exposure Triangle)

Start of the List Page:

How Your Camera Works
Understanding Digital Camera Sensors
Understanding Camera Exposure: Aperture, ISO & Shutter Speed (You might look here, first.)
Understanding Camera Metering
Understanding Depth of Field
Understanding Camera Lenses: Focal Length & Aperture
Understanding White Balance
Understanding Camera Autofocus

There are of course many, many sites offering Guides, Lessons, and Tutes - but as a 'get-you-going' - until a user knows what type of photography they'll be concentrating on - Cambridge is about the best out there.

If you want a book - "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Petersen, is excellent. Be sure to get the Revised Edition, which concentrates on Digital Photography.

Another is "Understanding Photography - Field Guide", by Bryan Petersen. If you wanted just one book to put in your camera-bag and take out with you - this is a pretty good choice.....

Regards, Dave.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:43 pm 

Many thanks for your suggestions; very helpful.

If I was to be brave enough to follow the suggestion to post some of my photo attempts and ask for feedback, is there a specific section of the forum I should be using for this?

Many thanks
Kirsty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:27 pm 

Just post in an appropriate place where you feel your photo fits, then ask for feedback. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:03 am 

I will basically echo the above...

1. For any beginner I would suggest they start by learning how their camera works - iso, aperture, shutter and get used to adjusting it.
2. Learn about Exposure - it really is key.
3. Get creative - once you have a handle on the first two take a course or some tutorial on composition.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:46 pm 

You might find this helpful:

http://www.cameralabs.com/photography_t ... ooks.shtml

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:44 am 

If you are a newbie in photography then you should learn the basics first about photography. You should take photos regularly and must experiment with camera settings. You should keep camera all the time along with you and should focus on subject. You can also learn about photography from online free resources.