Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:10 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, Ken and I have finished our Sony NEX 6 review, which includes an in-depth report on the Wifi and downloadable apps.

Hope you find it useful!

Gordon Laing, Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:16 am 

Hello and thankyou for a great review as always:)

I hope you can help me! Like you, i was shocked to see the raw files from the Nex 6, with the kit lens, that has way to much distortion and vignetting.

I use Aperture as my photo editor software and i always shot raw. I just sold my Nex 7 with kit lens and never had the problem with distortion and vignetting.

I take many pictures and i dont want to edit the distortion and vignetting every time.

So what do i do??? Buy the old kit lens 18-55mm or another lens? Or is there another way i can avid this very annoying problem???

Thank you so much for your help.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:11 am 
Site Admin

Hi RubsNex!

Most pancake lenses suffer from distortion which is corrected in-camera or by software later.

If you really want a very compact lens, then you'll need to accept some distortion. If you don't want the distortion then you'll need to fit a larger lens like the 18-55.

The NEX 6 will automatically correct the distortions from the 16-50mm when recording JPEGs, but on RAW files you'll need to correct it yourself.

Maybe future versions of RAW converters will do the correction for you - this happens with most Micro Four Thirds lenses which also suffer from geometric distortion. In fact it's hard to find a RAW converter which won't do it for you for those lenses!

I don't use Aperture so I can't comment on how it'll handle them. I suspect you'll need to manually correct the distortion and vignetting on RAW files. If you don't want to keep doing this, then yes you should use a different lens like the 18-55.

I still like the 16-50mm kit zoom, but it's important to know what its limitations are.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:40 am 

I was told in the Sony store the per day there will be a new collapsible kit lens for the NEX6 but they do not have it yet, anyone have any info on this? I can't find anything online about it

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

I haven't heard of a new one, but that doesn't mean there won't be!

I do wonder though if many people would be as concerned if the correction was taking place behind the scenes as with MFT, so you'd never (or very rarely) be able to see a before and after comparison.

Yes the distortion is a bit shocking at first but again it happens with most pancake lenses. The only question is when and how is the distortion being corrected.

Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:01 pm 

Hi RubsNex,

It was quite a large investment but, I use DxO's Optics Pro Standard software and it does a great job of converting my NEX-6 Raw image files and correcting the distortions from its 16-50mm lens.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:38 am 

Sony users up in arms over the comparison to the E-M5 in the review in progress.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3654972

They question the methodology, the reviewer's honesty and even deny the results. Gordon, defend your honor! :D