Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:00 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you JPG, RAW, or RAW+JPG?
Poll ended at Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:19 pm
JPG 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
RAW 38%  38%  [ 8 ]
RAW+JPG 38%  38%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 21
Author Message
 Post subject: RAW Survey
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:56 am
Posts: 96
I'm interested in going RAW. But before I do, I'd like to take a poll of how many photographers here are doing it.

I understand that RAW image files are like negatives in film vernacular in that it contains all the light information. It's only when printing, displaying, etc., that it's interpreted and some is lost.

One side of me wants to learn and use all the technology in the camera to capture the perfect JPG. The other wants to just be lazy, shoot RAW images, and manipulate them later on the computer.

So, please let me know how you shoot.

Thanks in advance,

_________________
-=- PalaDolphin
http://www.PalaDolphin.com
My equipment are:
Canon Rebel T4i / EOS 650D
lens: EF-S 18-135mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS STM
lens: EF-S 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS II
lens: Tamron SP 60mm F/2 Di II 1:1 Macro
Canon Speedlite 380EX flash
Canon PowerShot G12
Canon AE-1 Programmable w/55mm, 200mm, & 24mm lenses
bag: Lowepro® SlingShot 202AW


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAW Survey
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:24 am
Posts: 1822
Be lazy? Please! :roll:

Shooting RAW gives you far more control of your processing - why aim for .jpg martyrdom when you have far more control in RAW?

I'd actually consider shooting .jpg to be lazy - the processing equivalent of buying an expensive DSLR and leaving it in Program mode.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAW Survey
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:36 am
Posts: 620
Location: Toronto, ON
Heh, RAW shooters are "lazy"? Hmm. Tons of memory cards, gigabytes of data to hang onto, hours spent tweaking files to look exactly the way you want...

+1 to Phil's comment.

Sure, some photographers use RAW as a crutch for poor technical skills... heck, it's saved my butt a few times no doubt over the last five years. But honestly, I originally bought a DSLR for the sake of having full control over my photos, from the process of shooting to the process of presentation. Why then would I let some team of engineers decide what my photos and end product are going to look like? JPEGs are probably "good enough" for most consumers, sure. But I wanted a good camera because I wanted to make good photos and I'll be darn sure I'm going to make use of as many tools available to me to that end.

I shot RAW + JPEG for about two weeks when I first bought my XSi in 2008. Then I realized that the JPEGs were just sitting on my hard drive doing absolutely nothing after I developed the RAWs. I compared MY developed JPEGs against the camera-generated ones, had a laugh, and I flipped the switch to full RAW and never looked back.

_________________
Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon Digital Rebel XSi | EF 35mm f/1.4L | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 135mm f/2L | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580EX II | LumoPro LP-120

My Flickr


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAW Survey
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:01 am
Posts: 1167
Location: bit east of Melbourne
this is all interesting and this conversation has been done a few times, I can just about guess, what the regulars here are going to say.

Looking back over the last 7-8 years that I have dabbled in digital photography, whether shooting jpg or raw is part of developing your own style. Finding what works for you.

Part of that journey is software, I would be using jpg`s more if I would have to rely on Photshop CS3 or canon`s own dpp for my processing. Its just too much hard work, not as intuitive and quick. Its not since I have been using Lightroom 4, that I could comfortably say I prefer working with raw files.

But I still shoot jpg +raw, mainly because I can quickly sort out what I want to keep and then delete the rest. Loading and viewing a few hundred raw files takes too long.
If I just email the photo, I mostly just use the jpg. Also, I save all our photos on a hdd that my wife uses to put family albums etc together. She is happy to use jpg`s.

There is another aspect to using jpg`s, I actually like trying to capture the moment as it happens and try and get all the parameters right. Form exposure, aperture, framing, awb, and the saturation sharpness contrast that is set in the camera. I think its made me a better photographer, makes me think about the whole thing more. Its also helped, when recapturing the scene later and I am working with the raw file. I have a better understanding of the process and the jpg is a good reference.

So for me, I still shoot raw+jpg, as I try and get as much right when I am shooting. I could often get away with jpg`s, as for web used its often shrunk in size, that in itself hides a lot of imperfections. In addition, its not all about me, my wife goes through our photos for family albums etc and she mostly works of jpg`s. For most things they are more than good enough.

Memory and hdd space is cheap these days, so why not?

_________________
Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAW Survey
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:01 am
Posts: 1167
Location: bit east of Melbourne
double post..........

_________________
Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAW Survey
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:24 am
Posts: 1822
I have no issue with people shooting RAW of jpg, or a combination of both.

I used to shoot RAW + JPG, but then found an add in for Windows that allows you to view thumbnails of RAW files - previously my main reason for RAW + JPG

But to claim that if you shoot RAW you are being lazy is a bit of a sweeping statement, let alone condescending and rude!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAW Survey
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:52 pm
Posts: 579
Location: Scotland
Depends what you are doing with your images. I shoot JPG + RAW so that I can view the images immediately on devices like TV's and Blu Ray players, also handy for small file size quick uploads for sharing. But I also have the RAW file for any major PP or image manipulation flexibility at a later date.

Even shooting JPG does allow some PP, especially in camera, as the camera knows what it did to generate the JPG from the RAW in the first place, you can also use the manufacturers PP software as this will probably know the algorithms the camera used.

_________________
Nikon D90
Nikkor AF-S DX; 18-105 f/3.5-5.6G VR, 55-300 f/4.5-5.6G VR, 35mm f/1.8G
Speedlight SB-700

http://keystrokesukimages.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAW Survey
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:56 am
Posts: 96
I really appreciate the response so far; it's very informative.

dubaiphil wrote:
But to claim that if you shoot RAW you are being lazy is a bit of a sweeping statement, let alone condescending and rude!


I sometimes wonder if some people have completely lost their sense of humor. Most of you got it. So, let me rephrase the question: Are you using RAW because you're tired of practicing your camera adjustment skills in the field, where time is limited, and rather take your time at home on your computer to basically do what the DSLR was designed to do in the hands of a skilled photographer? Because it does take skill to take advantage of the new technology designed into today's DSLR camera.

Those of you who remember film photography know that much of the skill involved in making sure you have even a usable print must be performed behind the lens. White Balance is a perfect example: When shooting indoors with incandescent light, you know to use a blueish filter in order to accurately represent skin tones properly. With 35mm film, there's no LCD display nor histogram to allow you to review and reshoot.

When shooting RAW, in-camera White Balance isn't even applied. Even though the photographer is aware of the need to adjust WB for the ambient light, maybe even adjust Custom White Balance by capturing its temperature using a white/gray card, he'd rather postpone that adjustment until later, dismissing much of the technology built into the DSLR camera.

Although many here have expressed other reasons for shooting RAW, the 'lazy' question really boils down to this; Where are you more comfortable applying your skills: behind the lens or computer monitor?

_________________
-=- PalaDolphin
http://www.PalaDolphin.com
My equipment are:
Canon Rebel T4i / EOS 650D
lens: EF-S 18-135mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS STM
lens: EF-S 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS II
lens: Tamron SP 60mm F/2 Di II 1:1 Macro
Canon Speedlite 380EX flash
Canon PowerShot G12
Canon AE-1 Programmable w/55mm, 200mm, & 24mm lenses
bag: Lowepro® SlingShot 202AW


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAW Survey
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:56 am
Posts: 96
Plymer wrote:
But honestly, I originally bought a DSLR for the sake of having full control over my photos, from the process of shooting to the process of presentation. Why then would I let some team of engineers decide what my photos and end product are going to look like?


Good point!

_________________
-=- PalaDolphin
http://www.PalaDolphin.com
My equipment are:
Canon Rebel T4i / EOS 650D
lens: EF-S 18-135mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS STM
lens: EF-S 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS II
lens: Tamron SP 60mm F/2 Di II 1:1 Macro
Canon Speedlite 380EX flash
Canon PowerShot G12
Canon AE-1 Programmable w/55mm, 200mm, & 24mm lenses
bag: Lowepro® SlingShot 202AW


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAW Survey
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:24 am
Posts: 1822
PalaDolphin wrote:
I really appreciate the response so far; it's very informative.

dubaiphil wrote:
But to claim that if you shoot RAW you are being lazy is a bit of a sweeping statement, let alone condescending and rude!


I sometimes wonder if some people have completely lost their sense of humor. Most of you got it. So, let me rephrase the question: Are you using RAW because you're tired of practicing your camera adjustment skills in the field, where time is limited, and rather take your time at home on your computer to basically do what the DSLR was designed to do in the hands of a skilled photographer? Because it does take skill to take advantage of the new technology designed into today's DSLR camera.

Those of you who remember film photography know that much of the skill involved in making sure you have even a usable print must be performed behind the lens. White Balance is a perfect example: When shooting indoors with incandescent light, you know to use a blueish filter in order to accurately represent skin tones properly. With 35mm film, there's no LCD display nor histogram to allow you to review and reshoot.

When shooting RAW, in-camera White Balance isn't even applied. Even though the photographer is aware of the need to adjust WB for the ambient light, maybe even adjust Custom White Balance by capturing its temperature using a white/gray card, he'd rather postpone that adjustment until later, dismissing much of the technology built into the DSLR camera.

Although many here have expressed other reasons for shooting RAW, the 'lazy' question really boils down to this; Where are you more comfortable applying your skills: behind the lens or computer monitor?


Ah, we're going ageist as well as RAW-ist now, are we?!?

Yes, we know how hard done by people were in the age of film development. I've heard about that on the new fangled interweb.

What's wrong with getting things right in camera and still shooting RAW?

Or using the technology available to get the shot and move on, while the oldie standing next to you is still trying to contort his arthritic fingers and thumbs to set a custom White Balance and user defined ISO as the moment is lost? Or worse still, using an old rangefinder with the lens cap still on - oops

(slightly tongue in cheek!)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAW Survey
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:56 am
Posts: 96
maxjj wrote:
Part of that journey is software, I would be using jpg`s more if I would have to rely on Photshop CS3 or canon`s own dpp for my processing. Its just too much hard work, not as intuitive and quick. Its not since I have been using Lightroom 4, that I could comfortably say I prefer working with raw files.


Good to know.

maxjj wrote:
But I still shoot jpg +raw, mainly because I can quickly sort out what I want to keep and then delete the rest. Loading and viewing a few hundred raw files takes too long.
If I just email the photo, I mostly just use the jpg. Also, I save all our photos on a hdd that my wife uses to put family albums etc together. She is happy to use jpg`s.


Also good to know.

maxjj wrote:
There is another aspect to using jpg`s, I actually like trying to capture the moment as it happens and try and get all the parameters right. From exposure, aperture, framing, awb, and the saturation sharpness contrast that is set in the camera. I think its made me a better photographer, makes me think about the whole thing more. Its also helped, when recapturing the scene later and I am working with the raw file. I have a better understanding of the process and the jpg is a good reference.


That sums up much of what I'm striving for: pushing myself to become a better photographer.

_________________
-=- PalaDolphin
http://www.PalaDolphin.com
My equipment are:
Canon Rebel T4i / EOS 650D
lens: EF-S 18-135mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS STM
lens: EF-S 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS II
lens: Tamron SP 60mm F/2 Di II 1:1 Macro
Canon Speedlite 380EX flash
Canon PowerShot G12
Canon AE-1 Programmable w/55mm, 200mm, & 24mm lenses
bag: Lowepro® SlingShot 202AW


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAW Survey
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:56 am
Posts: 96
dubaiphil wrote:
Ah, we're going ageist as well as RAW-ist now, are we?!?

Yes, we know how hard done by people were in the age of film development. I've heard about that on the new fangled interweb.

What's wrong with getting things right in camera and still shooting RAW?

Or using the technology available to get the shot and move on, while the oldie standing next to you is still trying to contort his arthritic fingers and thumbs to set a custom White Balance and user defined ISO as the moment is lost? Or worse still, using an old rangefinder with the lens cap still on - oops

(slightly tongue in cheek!)


I take it back; You do have a sense of humor. :lol:

_________________
-=- PalaDolphin
http://www.PalaDolphin.com
My equipment are:
Canon Rebel T4i / EOS 650D
lens: EF-S 18-135mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS STM
lens: EF-S 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS II
lens: Tamron SP 60mm F/2 Di II 1:1 Macro
Canon Speedlite 380EX flash
Canon PowerShot G12
Canon AE-1 Programmable w/55mm, 200mm, & 24mm lenses
bag: Lowepro® SlingShot 202AW


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAW Survey
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:24 am
Posts: 1822
:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAW Survey
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:56 am
Posts: 96
keystrokesuk wrote:
Depends what you are doing with your images. I shoot JPG + RAW so that I can view the images immediately on devices like TV's and Blu Ray players, also handy for small file size quick uploads for sharing. But I also have the RAW file for any major PP or image manipulation flexibility at a later date.


There may be times when you need that JPG before you get a chance to go home and process it; like you need a print and there's a Walgreen's right over there.

keystrokesuk wrote:
Even shooting JPG does allow some PP, especially in camera, as the camera knows what it did to generate the JPG from the RAW in the first place, you can also use the manufacturers PP software as this will probably know the algorithms the camera used.


In-camera post-processing? That makes me think I missed something in my camera's instruction manual...hmmm.

_________________
-=- PalaDolphin
http://www.PalaDolphin.com
My equipment are:
Canon Rebel T4i / EOS 650D
lens: EF-S 18-135mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS STM
lens: EF-S 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS II
lens: Tamron SP 60mm F/2 Di II 1:1 Macro
Canon Speedlite 380EX flash
Canon PowerShot G12
Canon AE-1 Programmable w/55mm, 200mm, & 24mm lenses
bag: Lowepro® SlingShot 202AW


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAW Survey
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 141
I'm no expert, far from it. I shoot JPEG + RAW. The JPEG often are good enough to show people on the web or for family. If I want to modify the photo I always have the RAW version to make it look the way I want it to look.

I will still try to take the best photo I can and get things right when I am taking the photos. That way I can get the best of both worlds. I can learn how to take better photos and have greater ability to edit the photos.

_________________
Camera: Nikon D60
Lenses: Nikon AF-S DX 18-55 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR, Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED
Flash: Nikon SB-910
Tripod: Joby Gorillapod Focus with Ball Head X, Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 with Manfrotto MH054M0-Q5 ballhead


Flickr


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All words, images, videos and layout, copyright 2005-2012 Gordon Laing. May not be used without permission.
/ How we test / Best Cameras / Advertising / Camera reviews / Supporting Camera Labs

Webdesign by Alphabase IT
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group