Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:30 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:33 am 

I have had a Canon A495 for several years now and it is a brilliant camera and perfect for someone who is not good with cameras.

Now I've been asked to video some events and probably the A495 is not sufficient so perhaps I ought to get something better.

Even if only for evening or low light events?

I don't get paid for the events and I don't have a lot of money, so price is a factor. I don't mind buying secondhand.

I am a novice and likely to stay that way as photography is definitely not my strong point, but it does go with other things I'm doing.

In fact I do get easily confused and if there is one thing I am hopeless at, it probably is trying to understand the terminology and technology in cameras, where
to me everything seems backwards. I don't understand any of it and find it next to impossible to grasp, so nothing sophisticated, just a few buttons to press.

I'd be grateful if peeps could recommend some models to consider?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

The PowerShot A495 could only shoot VGA video, so that means standard definition and not in widescreen. Most new cameras, even budget ones, will shoot HD video, which means more detail and in the widescreen shape.

But it's always important to ask, in what way are you finding the A495 inadequate for your requirements? It may already be sufficiently good for what you need. If you don't already use one, maybe investing in a good tripod with a smooth head for panning would give better results.

You also need to say how much you want to spend.

But in the meantime, I maintain a list of recommended cameras in various categories - here's the one for point-and-shoot models:

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/ ... mera.shtml

Hope that helps!

Gordon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:57 am 

It's also generally simpler to shoot video with a video camera.

Mark