Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:44 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:53 am 

:( Id forgotten all about firmware updates untill i read a post in this forum.

I have ver.1.00 but ver.1.01 will allow me to use the sony zoom without :roll: any??distortion,

I went to sonys web site,downloaded the update & followed the instructions 8) First,"remove the memory card".---Then choose "mass stroage"---- :shock:

Everything in place battery fully charged,but i cant find the NEX 5 to install the firmware?? :roll:

Is there no memory at all with the NEX 5?Then how do i find a mass storage divice without memory card?

I must have got it all wrong,but i did update my NEX 3,though that was so many years ago i cant remember how i did it

How can i install the new firmware HELP :?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

Which NEX 5 do you have? The update is only for the 5R and the 5N, not the original 5.

If you have the 5N or 5R, you go to your setup menus and find USB connection and ensure that it's set to Mass Storage. Then you connect it to your computer using a USB cable and the firmware updater should find it. But it won't work on the original v 5.

All the instructions are on Sony's update page - good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:20 am 

I have the NEX 5N 8)

I followed the instructions,"First remove the SD card(memory card it says)"Having done that The NEX5N is no longer a mass strage divise as it dosnt seem to have any memory(built in SD card)

Its not possiable to get beyond the first instruction :?

PS. I still use my NEX3 recomended by someone that wrote a reveiw on this web site,and find it feels better in use,than my 5N-now im off to ask a question about controls

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

Have you set the USB Connection in the menus to Mass Storage before removing the card. That might do it.

But ultimately this sounds like a question for Sony technical support - have you contacted them?

Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:02 am 

:shock: Sony technical support. No i haven't.Ive tried so many times recently,only to find a computer badly set up aimed at pointless questions.

Example Time magazine.I took a subscription using my address in the mountains,which has nine villages in the same post code.My village name begins with 'B" the second village in the alphabetical group,Time computer changed it to the next village beginning with "C" Time support did nothing so magazine was delivered to my letter box(i suppose given that there was a few meters of snow)rather than entering my post redirection service.Neither can i use my online subscription

This week i bought a new garmin gps i updated the maps this time,the update took 4 hours then went into preparing maps with just another 70 mins to go i got a microsoft message "windows has to close' ERROR.and all the maps vanished.
Garmin tech support is a computer, a week of time wasting in a vain attempt to recover the maps

The very last think i thought of was yet another tech support :roll:

Im not sure i even need these updates :?: :roll: As i use a 40mm lens which focuses very well and is giving surprisingly good images,as its so very compact,sunday i took photos at the local cafe with people filling there pipes with grass,the weekend before pointing at others with the huge barrel of a sony lens brought objections. :roll:

Will ask sony support