Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sony NEX5 vs Fuji X10
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:48 pm 

I want a camera that makes slr quality photos, but is light enough to carry with me while hiking. I mostly shoot pictures of landscapes and rowing races. Lots of zoom would be nice, but I'm willing to live without. An evf would also be very nice, but again I'm willing to live without. I tried a Canon S90, but it didn't provide the quality I wanted. The sensor is just too small. I now have a NEX5 (I would have preferred a NEX 6 or 7, but those are too expensive) which has been the best compromise for a while. Recently I was made aware of the Fuji X10 and I even got to play with one for a while. In a lot of ways it's similar or even better than the NEX5, so now I'm thinking of getting a X10 and selling my NEX5.

Advantages of the NEX5:
-It has a better grip
-It has a better screen
-Screen is tiltable
-Photo format is 16:9 (I think), which I prefer to the 4:3 of the X10
-It's easier to shoot movies with (I hardly ever shoot movies, so this is not very important)
-I already have it

Advantages of the X10:
-I prefer Fuji's colours over Sony's
-It has a viewfinder (although it's not great and I would prefer an electrical viewfinder over an optical one)
-The controls are easier
-It has really nice in-camera editing
-It zooms slightly further (compared to the kit lens on the NEX)
-It weighs less and is smaller
-It's really quiet and stealthy

What I'm not sure about is how they compare in the quality of photo's they can take and that is the most important deciding point for me. The NEX has a far larger sensor, so I would expect it to be far superior, but I was really impressed by what the X10 was capable of. I couldn't compare them directly and I haven't found any comparing reviews of these 2 cameras yet, so I'm now asking you for advice. Is the X10 worth selling my NEX5 for?