Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: D40 is it worth it?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:43 pm 

Hi, I've been interested in getting a D SLR for a while now and finally their prices are coming into the ranges I'm comfortable at spending. I see the D40 as an excellent model for me, especially since i have no problems with the fewer mega pixels. However, what I do worry about is the limited AF system, and other features it lacks such as Anti-shake and/or Anti-dust system. I really don't know how much of a difference a 9 point system makes from a 3 point system. I would like to buy a D SLR that i could keep using for years and be satisfied with. But I get the feeling that the D40 will be outdated quite soon. Overall the D40 is said to be great entry level, but I can't shake the feeling that it's simply a mock D SLR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:48 pm 

Yeah, unfortunately - although the D40 is not bad - it was so quickly supplanted by the D40x that I would think twice about buying the D40 any more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:53 pm 

Well if I would think about the D40x, I might as well go for the EOS XTi. And if i were to do that I probably should consider Sony's A100. I think the D80 would be too expensive. So I guess what I'm looking for is whether or not i should just shoot for the 10 megapixel tier, or stick with the D40, or if there is a comparable D SLR to the D40 but not as pricey as the 10 megapixel tier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Chris, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

As Thomas says, it's a worry the D40x came out so soon afterwards, but in my opinion, that's more for marketing reasons than anything else.

Both the D40 and D40x are great first-time DSLRs and can produce lovely images with very little effort. I would only recommend them though if you know you're only going to buy modern AF-S lenses. I'd also have a play with them in person to see if you find the process of adjusting white balance and ISO acceptable.

I think it's fine if you don't change them too often, but if you like to change them a lot, you'll find it a bit slow as there's a lot of steps, compared to, say a D80 or a Canon 400D. I wouldn't worry about the 3-point AF though unless you think you'll be taking a lot of photos with the subject moving or way off-center.

If you're worried about dust, you should consider an Olympus E-410 as their anti-dust system is the best. And if you also want anti-shake, the new E-510 could also be worth considering.

I'd also highly recommend going into a store and handling your shortlisted models in person as one will almost certainly feel better to you than the others. I'd have a look at the D40(x), D80, Canon 400D and Olympus E-410 or E-510.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:32 pm 

Thanks alot both to you and thomas! I'm so glad i found this site, and really appreciate the information you've passed along and the manner in which you do it! I plan on doing just as you advised and checking those cameras out at the local retailer. Thanks again, ~Chris