Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:08 am 

Hi folks .. another keen hobbist newbie here ~so apologies in advance for the waffle ..some assistance please from the experienced !
Reading the fairly favourable reviews on the now discontinued Sigma AF 300mm F/4 APO Tele Macro..(&the 400)
Long story short .. I am in mess trying to choose a lens 300-400 ish, would prefer a prime &can't buy nikon glass up 400 end without selling my car !
Recently sold an older,but mint++ nikkor-C 500mm miror - f8 & MF drove me mad, great glass though, but a narrow focus field ~ gone !
Bought & have been disappointed with sigma 400mm the advantage ,I thought of AF & a stop faster @5.6 (non tele macro) !!! keeps showing fEE in screen ~ so no idea whats going on there?
Would really like a nikon AF300mm f4 (the earlier non af-S ) which is built like a tank& just affordable, but keep looking at a Sigma 300 Macro, maybe with a 1.4TC / or the nikon +tc .. or maybe just the Sigma 400mm marco ...no tc
Both hard to find .??? thinking the 300 +a TC will be more flexible 300 is f4 ...300+tc is about i stop more ,which is the 400 @f5.6 anyway ????????
Ultra fast AF is not a priority for what I do, just good glass .I like good tight candid shots, either people / animals or sports stuff that will cope with moderate AF speed...... have a *D80 -D300 & D7000 (& *1 is going to fund lens) ~ off you go then - What would you guys buy on a budget ? ..

:- )) cheers Phil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:59 pm 

I have had three 300/4.0 Sigmas and only my last one had an AF that could be used after dialing +20 focus-adjustment. But it is pretty sharp after that. See my test here.
My 400/5.6 had no such problems and I love it. See my review over there.
Yes the 300 + TC is more flexible - but I found that mounting/unmounting a TC in the field is a lot of hassle so don't expect to do it swiftly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:11 pm 

Thanks for the reply, /Take the point on unmounting etc, but probably would 'assemble' a 300&TC for the days shoot - 1/2 knowing what the subject was likely to be . So think I'm edging towards a combo' arrangement & have the extra stop @300, just need to think whether its the Nikon 300mm or the sigma would be better +a TC (Sigma has the better close focus 3m v 1.2 or 1.6? from memory) ,& not counting the fact I could probably get a Sigma & a decent TC for the cost of the longer focusing nikon ..........Ummm !
Good examples of the nikon & the sigma are hard to find.
regards Phil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:01 pm 

Personally i'd go with the Nikon 300 + TC, but have you considered the 80-400mm? I had one a couple of years ago & actually really liked it. tbh I wish I still had it. I suppose it depends what you're going out to shoot & the light available, but it's a great focal range to carry round & good optically.
If you're mainly into distant wildlife or birds though, 400mm is a minimum imho so a good prime is the best option.....but at a cost. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:51 pm 

Hi again, Not particularly into birding, but yes - agree a good prime is probably best.
Worryingly I've seen a few of these 80-400's for sale on ebay for spares/repair ?? & Might probably drift into just using the 400 end ??
I have an older (but very quick focusing Nikkor f4/5.6 70-210 AF-D) which is really compact@ only 6" & whilst not a 2.8, isn't a 2.8's weight ..size or £ either .
I also have nikkor 50 1.8 af-d , an 18-70 AF-s +an older vivitar 55mm/2.8 MF macro (really nice piece for an independent)
& this sigma 400mm ... I'll have to try the +20 adjustment, & see if that solves the problem of fEE error .
So, only reservation is the lack of close focus range,v.Sigma, but think if the right one comes up, may plumb for the Nikon 300 ,built like a truck & add a TC- kenco , or sigma who seem to be the top of the 3rd party pile (unless I sell the wifes car this time!) would suit.
Think I'm also right in saying an f4 300mm + x1.4 TC= 420 anyway,albeit 420 @ f/5.6 ish
Thanks a million for the input,2 heads better than 1 etc etc, might have to get Jan out the way 1st, but see where I end up .
Off to bury my head in the manual now for the +20 section. :- )
thanks Phil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:45 pm 

Three days ago I bought Sigma AF 300/4.0 APO Tele MACRO for Nikon:
http://www.deryabino.ru/Lenses/Sigma_30 ... _300-4.htm
But the ex-tender while isn't present.
Nikon D800e