Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:44 am 

Hello. I have owned a Pentax k-7 for about two years and was, for the most part, very happy with it. I had some issues with the colors, but I think that was due to lack of knowledge about how to best use the camera. My camera was, sadly, stolen recently, and I am looking to buy a new one very soon in time for my trip. Ive been looking at the Canon t4i kit with the 18-135mm STM lens. It seems like a very good deal. I have about a 1,000 Dollar budget for this camera and it will be used during a lot of travel. One thing i loved about pentax was the durability (its build quality felt unmatched, and the weather sealing was a huge plus), and I was looking into the Pentax k-5, which is in my price range only if i go for the cheaper kit with the 18-55mm lens, but I feel like I would only make that choice due to the durability aspect, because id like to take this camera anywhere i go. I was looking into nikon too, but it seems like they are about to come out with new models for each model in my price range, so I wouldnt want to buy one right before it gets upgraded.

What are your thoughts on the matter? are there any other cameras that I should be considering? (I have about a week to finalize my decision)

thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:05 am 

cpritchardv wrote:
I was looking into nikon too, but it seems like they are about to come out with new models for each model in my price range, so I wouldnt want to buy one right before it gets upgraded.

I'm assuming that you're looking at similarly priced cameras to the T4i/650D, which would surely put the recently launched Nikon D5200 into contention? That probably won't be replaced for about a year.

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:26 am 

I thought that camera hasn't been released yet. Is it worth waiting for, rather than buying the t4i now, in time for my trip?

I've only been able to find it on amazon.uk, and unfortuantely I can only buy things from the United States at the moment

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:18 am 

The D5200 should be available later this week in N America. 8)

Where are you going on your trip?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:00 pm 

I work/live in China, so its hard to get things shipped without struggling through customs and tariffs, and I cant get to hong kong for the better prices before I leave the 26th of this month. I am headed to Thailand and Cambodia till mid febuary, but I am hopeing to head into the Himalayas at the end of the school year.

So the only way I can get the camera is if I buy it online and have it shipped to a friend's friend who is coming from Atlanta on the 23rd.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:20 am 

So first, very sorry to hear that your K-7 was stolen. Second, were your lenses stolen, too? If not, that would be another plus for the K-5.

Third, although you'll probably avoid harsh weather on your two upcoming trips, if you ever travel to Cambodia in the summer or the Himalayas in the winter (or anywhere else during a season of harsh weather conditions), I agree that weather sealing would be a good thing to have. So perhaps you may want to take any future travel plans into account, at least until such time (2-3 years?) that you plan to upgrade the camera body.

Fourth, although I think the T4i + 18-135mm STM kit is great for shooting video, I would really hesitate before exposing mine to even a light rain.

Lastly, if you can push your budget a bit (to ~$1,200), the Olympus E-M5 + 12-50mm kit is weather sealed, and I would put IQ up there with the T4i. Also, being micro 4/3, it will generally be a bit smaller (i.e. easier to travel with) than even APS-C DSLRs.

HTH - Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:41 am 

unfortunately, I don't have any other lenses.

Thats a shame that the canon can't take too much of the weather, I feel like that kit would be the best I could get for that kind of money in the time span I have. I think i'd rather get the pentax over the olympus, but that would leave me with the same 18-55mm lens, which I wasnt a huge fan of.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:11 pm 

cpritchardv wrote:
Thats a shame that the canon can't take too much of the weather

Just to be clear, I don't know for a fact that it can't. I just wouldn't want to expose mine to anything more than a brief shower (and dry it off immediately after that). For more than that, I'd typically recommend a 7D, but budget rules that out in this case.

Sorry - Mark