Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:46 pm 

I have just recently taken up photography and going to Silverstone in 2013.I have a seat in Grandstand B at Copse which is undercover.Will being undercover effect settings on the camera or would i be better of not in the stand.
I have the Nikon D5100,18-55 kit lens and the Nikkor AF-S 55-200 VR and have just bought the AF-S Nikkor 70-300 VR.
All advice much appreciated and with thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:31 pm 

Yes, being under a covered stand does make a difference to the amount of light getting into your camera depending on how deep you sit within the stand so you may find yourself having to either change your aperture or ISO setting or use an ND filter. However, I don't think that difference puts you at a distinct or insurmountable disadvantage as variable weather conditions will probably force you to change your settings whether you're under a covered stand or not.

I was at Silverstone myself last year in the International Pits Straight Stand on most of Friday, the Becketts Stand on Saturday and in the open at Stowe on Sunday. As you know, there was a huge variation in weather conditions ranging of light to very heavy rain to overcast to bright and sunny with patchy clouds so I was changing the aperture frequently - the shutter speeds varied just to work out how slow I could shoot to give a perception of speed as I'm still a relative beginner with motorsports photography.

Have a look at my exploits from Silverstone last year:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59694573@N ... 509616924/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:00 pm 

Thanks for the advice.I will go walkabout Sat and see what the stand is like on Sunday.Maybe just go down to Stowe for better photo options.
Your photos are excellent,if i get some like that i will be very happy.Got a lot of practising to do.
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:30 am 

No worries. I'm probably going to go again this year so we may cross paths. :)

Personally, the Becketts stand was my favourite location to shoot as its distance from any fencing gave you a completely unobstructed view from before the entry of Maggots up to the first quarter or so of the Hangar Straight. You'll also be able to catch the cars in Arena going on to the Wellington Straight. Stowe is great for catching overtaking or battles between drivers.