Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Travel bag suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:33 am 

Hi, I will be travelling to Europe soon and I am wondering about the best way to carry my camera and other bit and pieces. What is the most convenient way to carry the 550D with a 15-85mm, 55mm and associated cords chargers etc.. I was wanting something that can also hold my travel documents, passports, cash and cards. I have a sling type holder but it does not have many places to secure the personal items. Any suggestion would be welcome :?:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:54 pm 

I use the 302 slingshot & find it great. The top section is perfect for passport/tickets, sweets/snack etc. It fits the airline `carry on` size criteria & is actually just small enough to keep at your feet/under seat, so you can get at it without having to store it in the over head lockers.

I've had it a couple of years now & there may be better options though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:06 pm 

http://www.crumpler.com/us/Camera-Bags/ ... 002-U04P70

The crumpler series of bags are brilliant. HArd wearing, practical and set up so that they can be used as general purpose day bags.

I just got the 7 million dollar home for xmas and love it.

They have different sizes for different number of lenses etc but i typically have the following in my bag.

T3i body
35mm lens
18-85mmm lens
10-22mm lens
75-300mm lens
couple of ND filters
cleaning kit
mini tripod (gorilla)
ipad

then when i am travelling

ipod
mini external hdd
spare SD cards
plug in USB key

passport + documents and maps.

:)

Got some of the gear but really still no idea...:)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:29 am 

I own both Crumpler and Think Tank bags. Both are good, but Think Tank's smaller bags seem to have been designed with more thought from serious photographers. The larger Crumplers seem better than the smaller ones. For the equipment you mention, the closest bag with which I have hands-on experience is the smallest of the three Sling-O-Matic series.

I strongly recommend AGAINST keeping personal documents in a bag carried outside the clothing! I would wear my most important documents and credit cards under my outer layer of clothing, in separate locations so that one thief could not steal everything with one move. I have no personal experience traveling in Europe, but have plenty of experience taking theft reports from travelers in a large city in the southern USA.

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:53 pm 

Thanks for the advice, both look like good bags with plenty of storage options. I guess I will also need to look at some type of money belt to keep cards, cash and the like safe. Are there any suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:09 pm 

ColD wrote:
Thanks for the advice, both look like good bags with plenty of storage options. I guess I will also need to look at some type of money belt to keep cards, cash and the like safe. Are there any suggestions?

In the USA, Eagle Creek travel products are available, and quite good. I have used a passport carrier that can be worn around he neck or slung diagonally, under the clothing. If I recall correctly, a money belt is available. I am relatively certain these will be available through Amazon.com, which has an affiliate arrangement with Cameralabs, which benefits Cameralabs with a small commission from each sale if the buyer clicks on the Amazon link on the "Support Us" page.

On a daily basis, I use an ID card carrier on a ball chain. There is no brand name on it; I purchased it locally, at a shop that caters to police and security personnel. It is too small for a passport, being intended for a police or other identification card to be readily seen through a clear plastic window, and several cards can be carried behind the identification card without excess bulk.

I have noticed that American Express seems to have a good reputation for readily assisting members who are traveling, and have lost their American Express card and belongings. I have committed their USA customer service phone number to memory, which has been helpful several times when I was assisting victims of theft or loss.

I have been told by at least one US-based world traveler that Chase Bank is a very good credit card to
have when traveling, due to its presence in so many countries.

Keep in mind that there is a sub-forum here on Cameralabs for Bags, Cases, Straps, and Filters, where one can find advice on this subject, from forum members who are not interested in Canon products. :)

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II