Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Numbers
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:30 am 

Sounds like a good reason for me to get a passport! I'll have to make my way north one of these days...right after I get a new camera! :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:44 am 

OOPs, goofed up - I was looking at density per sq miles, not km - New Jersey is still number 1, but with 451.99 people per sq. km, Wisconsin is 23rd with 40.01, and Alaska is last with o.46 people per sq km.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:59 am 

Wolfsong wrote:
which brings to mind another question... many times when on the ocean we have passed rocks that are pretty close to shore, 500 meters or so or more, which just jut out of the water sometimes only a few meters high and sometimes 100 or more mters high.. are these considered islands or just rock formations close to shore which break the surface to whatever hieght?

kpr.. the islands around you.. do they play host to a lot of marine life or are they pretty baron for the most part.. the smaller ones I mean

Not exactly sure when a rock becomes and island but this one is a good example.

http://www.ibacanada.com/site.jsp?siteID=NB019

I have tried to get a shift or two as a lighthouse keeper here but for some reason they want me to commit to staying there longer than that.
It's 28 day shifts and you helicopter in/out plus take everything you need for the shift....I like my week on week off shift much better.
The photo opportunities would be my only reason for wanting on that island/rock.

Our many islands and inlets attract more than just marine/bird life.
Back in pirate days it was extensively used and during prohibition in the states a main sailing point for rum runners.
Now we deal with drug dealers and human trafficking.

BTW I shouldn't have promoted our weather and lack of snow yesterday.
I plowed for the first time last evening around suppertime...close to a foot on the ground,temp is on the rise again now and rain for today :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:49 pm 

More on Islands here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island with a good explanantion of "desert islands" (which might explain the use of "desert" in Pier's post ("Desert" being used as an adjective to describe deserted, and not as a dry place?) Here it says there is no definitive size that decides if something is an island or just a rocky area sticking up out of the water.

Kpr, very cool island you have there. Thanks for the link! Does the water around it freeze completely in the winter?

We have a similar island here called Rock Island with a lighthouse. Rock Island is covered with trees, and is the site of the first ligthhouse in Wisconsin. They also do shifts during the summer there to "man" the lighthouse, although, the light is now automated, and it is mostly to give tours. Most of the island was once owned by one man (excluding the lighthouse) but it is now a state park with primitive camping (no motorized vehicles allowed anywhere on the island). Same situation though as far as bringing in all your gear and staying there for the time you are scheduled (I think it is 2 weeks at a time). http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=639 This is a picture of the "boathouse" on Rock Island. It is where the ferry drops people off to visit the island.

X

Canon Powershot SX 150 IS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:19 pm 

XNavyHM3 wrote:
More on Islands here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island with a good explanantion of "desert islands" (which might explain the use of "desert" in Pier's post ("Desert" being used as an adjective to describe deserted, and not as a dry place?) Here it says there is no definitive size

After some more research, I found out that actually you're right, it refers to desert as in non-populated. Also I discovered that "leones" which is lions in English, actually does not refer to the animal either, but to the last name of the owner of the place before it became a national park.

Also, on another note, here in Mexico we don't have as much islands, we have only 50 that are recognized as such. Regarding population density, here in Mexico City we have a density of 5,920 per km2, and also this is the third largest city in the world, only beaten by Delhi and Tokyo.

Sometimes it does feel very crowded here :|

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:49 pm 

Florida facts:
- total islands - 4,500
- total lakes - 7,700
- largest county - Palm Beach (mine!)
- total population: 19.1 million, 4th in the US
- most populous area - Miami Metropolitan Zone: 5.75 million, area 110 miles long and between 5-20 miles wide. Population density 890 per square mile, 1st in Florida, 8th in the US. This is the South Florida corridor running from Miami to West Palm Beach...and I live in the middle of it.
- We have the longest coastline in the contiguous US
- As late as 1950, Florida was the LEAST populated state in the southeast. Florida is now the most populated state in the Southeast, and the 2nd most in the South (after Texas).
- Florida has the highest average precipitation of any US state, and the most lightning strikes of any state.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:17 am 

Jeez X that sure looks like a lot nicer house/station to stay in than we have,we could even dock the cutter in those tunnels under it.
Might create a bit of problem getting in and out with our 24 ft tides though :shock:

Thinking of going back and editing out my comment about our nice temps/weather here on the east coast.
It started snowing the next day and hasn't stopped,we've had two really good dumpings.
All cleaned up around home here but I have to travel back to work this morning 200kms and two ferry rides :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:48 pm 

Yeah, kpr, I think I got Wolfsong's weather, then sent it on to you...

The boathouse is fabulous! I should post more pictures, but they are not very good. Plenty of room in there for a cutter. It's easily 3 stories high, with a full floor for the boats. The man who once owned much of the island had workmen come from Iceland to make the boathouse and some of the other buildings there. I can almost stand in the fireplace upstairs, and there are chandeliers that are each about 6 feet tall, made with things like deer antlers. They do not look large at all because of the sheer size of the place!
Rock Island is a great place for camping if you don't mind things being primitive. You have to take a passenger ferry to get there (not even bikes are allowed on the island, and you carry in everything you need) but the views are fabulous, and with the lighthouse, beaches (rocky, of course) and lack of most people, there are tons of great chances for pictures. I'm looking forward to going back once the ferrys are running again. I saw some people kayaking there last time I was there, but you have to either be extremely skilled or extremely stupid to kayak there. You have to go through a passage called Death's Door to get there that is known for shipwrecks, fog, cross currents, etc, with water that can lead to hypothermia within 20 minutes even at the height of summer. There are three lighthouses in the area now. Once upon a time, that was the only way to get around the peninsula and into the bay of Green Bay. (The stuff of legends for Maritime history and ghost stories!)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:58 am 

Happy New Years wildlife guys!!
I'm at work and bored outta my skull so I did some numbers poking around Cameralabs. :twisted:

Duck of the day thread with 156 pages = 206,616 views
Feathered friends thread with 140 pages = 184.814 views

Biggest thread I could find without looking through "every" forum...
I looked at quite a few :wink:

Photo of the day....266 pages = 318,254 views.
With 266 pages it gets bumped a lot and has a wide range of subjects.

My point?...I don't really know :lol:

I'm looking forward to seeing many more great photos from us wildlife guys in 2013.
Keep up the great work guys :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:38 pm 

Interesting, thanks kpr!
I think this is the year that I'll finally start doing more wildlife photography, and at least trying to post some of it here, sometimes I'm just to lazy to do it.