Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Numbers
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:09 pm 

Bored at work so started thinking about a few numbers that always fascinated me and a large reason for where I live where I live...

Population of Canada 34.5 mil ... California 37.7 mil .. those 2 numbers have always astounded me to think little california has more ppl than the second largest country in the world..

So today I took it a bit farther...

Population of Saskatchewan.. the province in which I live and which takes up I think about 6.5% of the total landmass of Canada is 1.1 mil about.

Square Kilometers of Saskatchewan is 652,000 ... California is 424,000

Saskatchewan can be broken down into 1/2 forested natural land, 1/8 water, 1/3 farm land and the rest towns and 2 cities.

Talk about unpopulated and full of wildlife... and why I choose to live here at this time :D

Probalby not interesting to many but Im a stat freak and love thinking about this kind of stuff

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject: Re: Numbers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:12 pm 

Saskatchewan.....

"In the summer, daytime temperatures are normally between 20 and 25°C, but they can reach the mid to upper 30s.
In the driest and coldest winter months (January and February), night-time temperatures normally range from -15 to -25°C, while daytime temperatures range from -5 to -15°C.
Winter temperatures can fall as low as -30 to -40°C but this usually lasts only a few days.
In spring and fall, temperatures might be around 0°C at night, and rise to 14°C during the day."

Nova Scotia...

"Average afternoon summer temperatures reach around 25ºC (77ºF) in the interior of the province, but can be 4 - 6 degrees cooler along the coast.
The cooling effect of the ocean will keep the temperatures at about 2 - 3ºC below those inland during the nighttime also.

Winter temperatures are moderate along the coast.
Yarmouth has an average January temperature of -2.7ºC (36.8ºF) which is the highest of any mainland station in the Maritimes.
Inland the temperatures in January average between -4 to -6ºC (24.8 - 21.2ºF). "

Still no snow here...yet.
Storm coming up the eastern seaboard today,we are right on the rain/snow line.
Might be messy,might have to plow or carry an umbrella...it...hasn't decided yet.
Outside temp is 0.0C but the wind is from the east which ..usually.. produces >>> rain.

No deep snow helps what deer we have left get around and away from coyotes.

:D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:29 pm 

Wolfsong wrote:
Population of Canada 34.5 mil ... California 37.7 mil .. those 2 numbers have always astounded me to think little california has more ppl than the second largest country in the world..

Without taking it too far, I think this is worth saying. Population of Mexico City + State of Mexico: 36.7 million. And basing myself in what you said, Canada's population: 34.5 million.
Now, to the land mass. Mexico City + State of Mexico: 24,000 km2. Canada: 9,984,670 km2.
No wonder why there are no natural areas here in Mexico City :|

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:57 pm 

interesting guys.. maybe a few others will post...

last night when I left work at 10pm one of the maintenance guys told me as I was walking out the door it was -39C without the windchill and we had about 20kph winds at the time... and when I got up this morning it was snowing again...

right now they are calling for sun on tuesday.. Im keeping my fingers crossed.

My Flickr

Last edited by Wolfsong on Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:26 pm 

just to round out kpr`s numbers... Nova Scotia has a land mass of 55,284 km2 and a population of 921,727 which makes it the second most densly populated province in Canada. The interesting thing about Nova Scotia is it has around 3800 coastal islands... never knew that.

My Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:54 pm 

pierovera... a question or 3 if I may... :lol:

With Mexico City as densly populated as it is does it have any natural park areas which have been engineered not only for the relaxation of ppl but also as wildlife sanctuaries for the local wildlife or as safe resting areas for migratory birds who's migration route takes them right through Mexico City? More and more places seem to be doing this these days when designing and planning urban recreational areas/parks and I am curious about Mexico.

Also, what are the environmental practices like for Mexico? Do you feel the government does a good job regarding protecting both the wildlife on land and land environs as well as the oceans and wildlife within or are they lacking in this area. I know Mexico and the countries in south america recieve a lot of pressure, through financial support from China mostly but other eastern contries and corporations as well, to open up their lands and oceans for development and extraction of resources and although not openly admitting to these associations they nontheless do so... illegally in some cases.

The shark finning operations in Costa Rica were/are a prime example of this where the government turned a blind eye to the activity while proclaiming they were totally against it where most agree even the Chinese mofia was involved. To a lesser degree you have several caribean countries backing Japan to legalize whaling again simply because of the dollars Japan has sunk into the local economy.

Im really curious what Mexico's environmental policies are like from the perspective of someone who lives there.

My Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:40 pm 

Alright, for the first question:
We do have actually a few places that have been virtually untouched and left as they are, but most of them lack any real wildlife because they aren't protected areas and from what I've heard, animals would just wander off outside the places where they lived in into the city and they'd die, and kind of like a domino effect, they disrupted the whole food chain and all wildlife just died. There are other places that were built for people to be kind of a natural area, an example would be Chapultepec, it's a forest that was partially cut down and engineered for the use and enjoyment of people, they even built an artificial lake in it. Despite almost all natural areas being altered or destroyed, there are very few that actually remain, for example one big forest named Desierto de los Leones ("desierto" means desert in Spanish and I have absolutely no idea why it's called like that, it's not remotely a desert). I don't go there very often as it is hard to get there, and actually that's one of the reasons it hasn't been altered.
Just a quick note, the forest is actually pretty big, and there are some pretty deteriorated zones, but there are some others that are untouched.

Second question:
From what concerns Mexico City, I don't think the government does much to help, after all it's a completely urbanized city. As to the rest of the country, the government has been improving what concerns the environmental preservation, but I think that we still have a lot to do because, in my opinion, Mexico does have many other problems and the environment isn't their main concern, but organizations that are pro-environmental have pressured the government to at least do something, but still, the government can be pretty corrupt here in Mexico and with some money, big industries/companies get to keep destroying Mexico's natural environments. Take for example Acapulco Bay, it used to be a great place some years ago, pretty clean and nice, I still got to be there while it was all nice and stuff, but once companies start hearing about this, hotel companies start building lots and lots of hotels there and therefore increasing tourism a lot and as I mentioned before, with some money they paid off the government to allow them to dump all their trash and sewer waste and whatnot into the bay, therefore polluting it and destroying any natural beauty it could've had. I remember before all this, you'd swim under the water and you'd see lots of really nice fish and there were also crabs I think and other animals, but now all you see is trash. Another place that suffered from tourism was Xel-Há, which unfortunately, the place was turned into a kind of waterpark, and this time, it was the government who created this thing. Another example which I'm not entirely familiar with, is that in the bay of Baja California, some years ago, we had this rare species of dolphins named pink dolphins, but because of tourism as well, the bay was polluted and the species disappeared from there. And also we have a lot of deforestation in the jungles that are in the southern part of the country.
It's pretty sad, I'll admit.
And also what you mentioned about external pressure from large companies, especially oil companies here in Mexico, is no exception here. I don't know if you knew about it, but recently there was yet another oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, and the government isn't doing much because that is a big source of income, and they are not willing to risk it to save the environment, unfortunately.

If there was a third question, I didn't get it or I mixed it with the second one, sorry :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:00 pm 

thank you kindly for the info Pierovera...

here is a woman you and everyone in Mexico should be very proud of in my opinion and someone who hopefully gives all Mexicans who are concerned about the environment hope.. her name is Cristina Mittermeier and she is the president of ILCP ( the international league of conservation photographers) They do work around the world by sending out renouned wildlife photographers to bring to light environmental concerns anywhere and everywhere. They were the photographers who were featured in the great bear rainforest conservation effort video I linked previosuly and they do amazing work... here is a link to the video ... if you havent watched it check it out and check out the photos in it which are of salmon under water... probably the coolest salmon pics I have ever seen. Cristina is also in it for a few minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3bKmz4od3g

Here is a link to her site...

http://cristinamittermeier.com/about/

And here is a link to ILCP... its another organization I support as much as I can and some day I would love to contribute to one of their shoots/projects.

http://www.ilcp.com/

My Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:29 pm 

I saw the video before from an older post here in the forum, I believe it was yours. Wonderful documentary, I really liked it.

I'll check out her page, thanks Wolfsong :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:43 pm 

Hey Mike, I did a quick bit of research a year or so ago, on people per sq mile/density ( I sorta like numbers too........the least the better imo :wink: )
I was interested in just how crowded the UK has become, when compared to other countries & was quite surprised how high up the table we are. :(

I can't remember the exact numbers, but we have something like 620+ per sq mile, almost twice what China has! USA was something like 85, but Canada (& OZ)was only about.....SEVEN! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:57 pm 

wow carlos.. that kinda says a lot doesnt it... I had absolutely no idea the UK was that high

My Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:04 pm 

Sadly, yes it does. :roll: btw, the numbers are for the UK as a whole, which includes Northern Ireland, Wales & Scotland with far less population, so I wouldn't be surprised if ENGLAND (total 80% of UK population) was nearly 50% higher!

Another number fact, The British isles is made up of more than 5000 islands. (some very tiny obviously :lol: )

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:35 am 

which brings to mind another question... many times when on the ocean we have passed rocks that are pretty close to shore, 500 meters or so or more, which just jut out of the water sometimes only a few meters high and sometimes 100 or more mters high.. are these considered islands or just rock formations close to shore which break the surface to whatever hieght?

kpr.. the islands around you.. do they play host to a lot of marine life or are they pretty baron for the most part.. the smaller ones I mean

My Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:40 am 

Really interesting topic! Thanks for introducing it!

I am looking up information for Green Bay specifically, but also the state of Wisconsin. 5.7 million people here, but I think that's pretty misleading as most of the population in Wisconsin is located in only a few areas. I would think (without checking yet to see if it is true) that Wisconsin would be pretty average for the Northern states of the US (excluding Alaska.) Most of the states west of Wisconsin tend to be less populated until you get to Washington, and most of the states east of Wisconsin tend to be more densely populated. The northern part of the state is very sparcely populated, and is heavily wooded, and is also quite a bit colder in the winter. The southern part of the state, especially in the Milwaukee and Madison area (south east and south central) is much more heavily populated. The southern, central, and much of the eastern parts of the state are small towns and farmland. I will try to find some information on how much of the state is protected, how much is farmland, and how much is urban. Average temps for the year in the Green Bay area (about 1/2 way up in the state on the eastern edge, on Lake Michigan) High average: 12 degrees Celsius; low: 2 degrees Celcius (I am looking for seasonal averages.)

OK, More information on Wisconsin - especially the Green Bay area:
Average high/low temps (in Celsius): Jan: -4/-12, Feb: -2/-11, Mar: 5/-5. Apr: 13/1, May: 19/7. Jun: 25/13, Jul: 27/15, Aug: 26/14, Sep: 22/10, Oct: 14/4, Nov: 6/-2, Dec: -1/-9
Highest recorded temp was 46 degrees celsius in 1936; lowest was -48 degrees on both Feb 2nd and 4th, 1996
Average snowfall ranges from 40 inches (101 cm) in the southern portion to 160 inches (406 cm ) in the northern part of the state (near Lake Superior.)
46% of the state is covered by forest.
Wisconsin has 28,980 sq km of water - the 4th highest in the country (following only Alaska, Michigan, and Florida)

Here's a great website that compares the density not only of each state in the US, but also different countries: http://www.worldatlas.com/aatlas/popula ... nsityh.htm

Here is a link to a population density map for Wisconsin, showing where all the people are living. Green Bay is the third largest city in the state, but only has 104,000 people: http://www.uwex.edu/ces/cced/bioeconomy ... ,s:0,i:123

Wisconsin is the 23rd most densely populated state (out of 50) in the US with an average of about 103 people per sq km. (In contrast, New Jersey is the most populated state with 1,170 people /sq km and Alaska is the least populated state with 1.2 people/ sq km)

X

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:25 am 

I love the density stat X... looks like saskatchewan has a population density of 1.7 per km2

here are 2 interesting ones for 2 of canada's provinces...

Yukon, beside alaska, has a landmass of 482,443 km2 and a population of 35.175 giving it a population density of .07 per km2

Northwest territories which is situated beside the yukon has a land mass of 1.15 mil km2 and a population of 41,464 giving it effectively a population density of 0.0 :shock:

I have travelled through both several times and let me just say this is the last spot on earth you wanna have an accident of breakdown of any type... to say you are days away by land from any help at times is an understatement.

My Flickr

Last edited by Wolfsong on Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:41 am, edited 4 times in total.