Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:54 pm 
Hi Gordon

What a brilliant site this is, i have become engrossed in reading and watching your reviews. i am completely new and clueless to photography and really want to learn and get involved after a lengthy debate i have decided to buy the Eos 400d (i think) but was wondering what lens to buy with it. i live in cornwall (england) and plan on taking lots of close up surfing and sports pictures, i intend to eventually print them in possibly even A1 to display around my house.

Do you think the Eos 400d is a suitable camera for this and what compatible lenses would you recommend?

Many thanks,

Adam Cornish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:09 pm 

If you're into sports/action you need a long bright zoom and anti-shake.
One possibility is a Nikon D40x/D80/D200 with the Nikon 80-200mm/F2.8 VR, which sets you back at least 2300EUR but is an excellent combination. See the report of Cornelius in the forum here: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462

If you tend to Canon, there is the EF 70-200mm 2.8 L IS USM, also around 1700EUR plus Canon body...

So this hoby is not going to be cheap!

If you like a more universally usable (and cheaper) proposition, go for less bright zooms, e.g. the Nikon 18-200mm/F3.5-5.6 VR for around 700EUR and crank up the ISO to 400 or 800 to compensate for the smaller aperture. All current Nikon bodies D40c, D80 and D200 can cope with this high ISO values and you can then start your hobby at 1300EUR and have a universal zoom in your hand that you don't get with a Canon!
Or you go for the brand spanking new Nikon AF-S VR DX 55-200mm 4.0-5.6G IF-ED that can be had for around 290EUR streetprice! that together with a D40x and you're below 1000EUR!

P.S.: IS is Canons lens based image stabilization, VR is the same from Nikon

Last edited by Thomas on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Adam, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

(I'm gonna move this subject to the Buying a new camera section...)

In terms of quality, you can certainly make a big print from a 10 mpixel DSLR, but you may still want to 'acquire' a file from, say a 400D or a D80, either from a shop or a site like flickr and output it using the printer or service you had in mind to see how it looks.

As for lenses, Thomas is dead right - you'll need something in the region of 70-300 for most sports, and the faster it is the better. By fast I mean both in terms of aperture (smaller f numbers are better, but much more expensive) and also focusing (for Canon, get USM lenses, for Nikon get AF-S).

If the surfers are really distant though, you may need something even more powerful. This is where it can start getting pricey, although products like Sigma's 50-500mm can give you a massive reach at a 'relatively' low price.

The budget option though would be to go for a twin lens kit, where you'd typically get an 18-55mm and a 70-300mm. Do make sure the longer lens has quick focusing though or you'll quickly get frustrated. The Olympus E-510 twin lens kit is also one to consider.

Gordon