Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:31 pm 

I have a black huskie/lab mix and struggle to make him pop out of photos. This photo is part of a xmas photo taken today and I just don't have the experience to know how to fix my issue.

Photo taken RAW with 28-135mm at 1/30 f/5. Flash fired up at the ceiling to get less direct light on the people.

Any help and advice would be great.

- Camera -
Canon EOS 50D

- Lenses -
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM (canon mount)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:16 am 

One thing to consider in this photo, is that you've got a dark-coloured dog sitting in front of dark-coloured clothing... right there you're losing contrast in both luminosity and colour. If possible, give him some space of his own in the composition against a lighter background and he'll instantly gain some visibility in the photo.

To get any kind of detail in him though, you're going to have to get your flash off to one side. This will help to create shadows and highlights that show his features. If you can't do this, perhaps throw a white towel down on the ground in front of him so it reflects a bit of light back up under his body to fill the deep shadow. This won't completely fix the lack of definition but it should help him to not be a black hole of light!

Another tip - I assume the sweater on the right side of the photo is supposed to be white? You're under-exposed by about a stop, maybe a stop and a half. If you make that white look white, that'll help Mr. Dog be a bit brighter and less muddy in the shadows and give him a bit more contrast :)

Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon Digital Rebel XSi | EF 35mm f/1.4L | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 135mm f/2L | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580EX II | LumoPro LP-120

My Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:54 am 

The best photos of pets are those taken at the same level as their eyes. Try and photograph him at a lower level and the photo will fill out better, that combined with polymers comments will see a much easier photo to process.

Got some of the gear but really still no idea...:)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:48 am 

The first thing I notice is the lack of sharpness, which is probably down to the slow shutter speed.

You have a good fast 50mm lense in your bag, I would use that and depending on how important the people in the shot are you can control the DoF to suit.

With regards to the flash, bouncing it is really only going to soften the light, if your intention is to try and separate the background subject I would go straight on. However you can diffuse it with a tissue, white napkin of similar. Or in this scenario you may want to lighten the background therefore rear curatin sync is the way.

Experiment with camera and flash in manual mode, you will have far more control

http://www.alanwilliamsphotography.co.uk
BLOG: http://www.ayrshireweddingphotographer.org