Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:43 pm 

I just ordered the Panasonic G3 and I was wondering if I am restricted to using the Panasonic Lumix Lenses only? If not, can anyone recommend a good, wide-angle to tele that won't break the bank?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:06 pm 

There is an adaptor http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-pana ... taodbm0axw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:52 am 

Answering the second question first, and keeping in mind that both "good" and "won't break the bank" are subjective, asking a lens to be good from wide to tele is asking a lot. (And sort of defeats the purpose of an interchangeable lens system, IMO.) Ask for that lens to also be cheap, and now you cross into the realm of asking too much, IMO.

That said, have you looked at the Olympus 12-50mm lens? IMO, it's slow and overpriced (and obviously barely telephoto with the 2X crop), but it's the closest lens I can think of to your criteria. (e.g. both the Panasonic 14-140mm and Olympus 12-60mm cost more; in the latter case, significantly more, and that's not including the adapter.)

And that brings me to: as noted above, you can use any micro 4/3 lenses regardless of brand (I personally mix and match lenses from Panasonic, Olympus and Voigtlander on my Panasonic GH2), and you can use (standard) 4/3 lenses with the adapter Carlos linked to. There are also "dumb" adapters--called that because they lack electronics--for just about any lens mount you can think of (I personally use one to mount Canon EF lenses on my GH2) but since they lack electronics, any lenses mounted this way will be full manual only. i.e. no AF, no electronic aperture control, no IS, etc.

HTH - Mark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:14 am 

I have Olympus 14-150mm. But, since your body does not have In Body Image Stabilization (IBIS), you may consider Panasonic 14-140mm though it may be a bit more expensive.

These will give you 28mm to 280/300mm equivalent focal length on 35mm. Though they cannot give you superb IQ, they will be versatile, and supplement them with great primes for m4/3 system-
Olympus 12mm, Panasonic 20mm, Panasonic Leica 25mm, Olympus 45, 60, 75mm.

Olympus 14-150mm can be had around $330 factory demo version at a certain web store.

Panasonic Pancake 14mm f2.5, Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4, Olympus Zuiko 75mm f1.8
Panasonic 14-42mm